• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Throttle cable routing tips needed for HEINRICH tank

sololobo

Airhead or Nothing
So, I was lucky enough to score a "type 208" R80G/S specific Heinrich with my 1981 R80G/S, and am finding that the routing of the right hand thrttle cable is very very difficult. The cable it a tight fit between the airbox snorkle and the tank... very tight and plays havoc with the throttle cable free play.

I've tried a number of different configurations/routings of the cable and none are that great. Any wisdom aout there? Perhaps running the dual cable GS set-up and ditching the G/S splitter arangement is the answer? Anyone have any sage advice?

Here's the bike (and tank) in question...

DSC04661.jpg

I have the same tank on my r80st with gs bars. I think the cables are stock ST cables and didn't know I had a problem around the snorkle. I brought the cables down the left side of the main frame tube.

Attachments

• DSC00396.jpg
    DSC00396.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 86
And you probably already know this, but the right cable should be longer than the left cable to allow that routing down the left side of the frame tube.

While sorting out my ST, I discovered a PO had installed the longer cables on both sides making for way too much slack to hide on the left cable. So, it's possible you inherited a bike with mismatched cables forcing some strange routing.

I have this tank, too:)

R100/7 though and it has two throttle cables and routing was not too difficult with the older bike. You know what the tank is worth? A lot:), so keep it! These tanks are more and more rare. The old fella that made these tanks, had made them, hammering the shape old school, I've heard. They are valuable assets to anyone knowing the history. I've owned my Hienrich Tank for about 20 years now and I love it. Randy13233

And you probably already know this, but the right cable should be longer than the left cable to allow that routing down the left side of the frame tube.

While sorting out my ST, I discovered a PO had installed the longer cables on both sides making for way too much slack to hide on the left cable. So, it's possible you inherited a bike with mismatched cables forcing some strange routing.

Mine had the same dual long-legnth set up as well, that I replaced with new correct ones.

Both route down the left side of the frame tube, but the right cable is definately squeezed between the snorkle and tank.

The bike is running great right now, I'd just like to find a solution that allows me to remove and replace the tank without needing the futz with the cable routing a bunch.

Perhaps I'm dreaming.

Here's a short bit of info on the "type 208" tanks for the net:

"Werner Reinschluessel (RW on the tag) made these tanks from 1981 to 1984, when he transferred the rights over to Jeckel. The code 208 indicates that this tank is made for R80 G/S, and holds 40 liters. "

Yep:)

Mine is different and older than yours , with a different gas cap, but they are valuable indeed. My airbox is totally different and not an obstacle for cables. Best wishes with yours. A neat bike, too. I had a '82 R80GS and found it to be an exceptional BMW. Wish I had it back, too. Randy

Mine had the same dual long-legnth set up as well, that I replaced with new correct ones.

Both route down the left side of the frame tube, but the right cable is definately squeezed between the snorkle and tank.

The bike is running great right now, I'd just like to find a solution that allows me to remove and replace the tank without needing the futz with the cable routing a bunch.

Perhaps I'm dreaming.

Here's a short bit of info on the "type 208" tanks for the net:

"Werner Reinschluessel (RW on the tag) made these tanks from 1981 to 1984, when he transferred the rights over to Jeckel. The code 208 indicates that this tank is made for R80 G/S, and holds 40 liters. "

Mine is actually a 208 Jeckel,

I used to think I had a mileage problem, now I realize it was a range problem.

Back