• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS woes

AnMar

I have a garmin 176-C GPSmap that I used to use for my boat. I recently discovered that I could purchase a city navigator cd and use the GPS for the road. That said, I have discovered it to be a real pain-in-the-... to create routes and use the different screens etc. for instance once I create a route (auto route), while navigating, the device will show me way off the highway screen, and I begin to converge back on the highway once I approach a maneuver that I have to make such as a turn. Has anyone got any suggestions regarding the operation of the 176-C garmin. I have an owners manual but I am still at a loss on how to make this device perform as I am used to with other navigation units, IE: tom-tom, magellan etc. Not ready to trash it yet but....

I have a garmin 176-C GPSmap that I used to use for my boat. I recently discovered that I could purchase a city navigator cd and use the GPS for the road. That said, I have discovered it to be a real pain-in-the-... to create routes and use the different screens etc. for instance once I create a route (auto route), while navigating, the device will show me way off the highway screen, and I begin to converge back on the highway once I approach a maneuver that I have to make such as a turn. Has anyone got any suggestions regarding the operation of the 176-C garmin. I have an owners manual but I am still at a loss on how to make this device perform as I am used to with other navigation units, IE: tom-tom, magellan etc. Not ready to trash it yet but....

Honestly, buy a 276C with true auto routing....

Thats the way i'm headed, but I was thinking of a 450 zumo or tom-tom rider however they have a little too much gingerbread. is the 276 a worthwhile gps or am i going to regret not buying one of the others?.

Customer service

Garmin has excellent customer service. Give them a call (early and late in the day are best for short waits, < 5min)

1-800-800-1020

They'll take the time to explain and provide help.

Good luck!

Love my 276C. Not the latest bells and whistles. But it does autorouting and everything else.

I like that its weatherproof and can run on direct power or battery (can carry it inside McDonalds, etc and futz)

You can get a refurbished one for pretty cheap.

P

Marine Unit

Your Garmin 176-C is a Marine Unit right? I was wondering if it does not look for the roads, but is just routing you per your waypoints, ie the shortest distance, no roads to follow in the water. I notice that my Zumo 550 :rocker, at times shows me on a road that I'm not on, but close to, then jumps to my location if the adjacent road moves too far away. I think yours is working as designed, but is not designed to run the maps you are using, it will show the map, but does not have the routing algorythms that on the road units have.

My recomendation is live with it or buy the Zumo 550. I like the later, you'll never look back.

I have this Garman.
If you check the manual, somewhere it shows a "stick or attach to the road" setting. This will make the location turtle display properly except, rarely, when you have two parallel roads, very close to each other and it becomes confused.

I think the other posters are correct that this is not the unit to use for routing. It is great for location, large screen and flexibility on water and land. Very solid design and construction.

Back