• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I can't attend '08; where is the '09 Rally please??

my guess is on the Mall in DC and scheduled to coincide with the Rolling Thunder! Oh, Yeah baby! :lol
RM

09 rally wishlist...

I'd personally love to see us have the next national at the Barber Track and Museum.....three days of track-day.....oh my.....and the museum looks very cool too....Birmingham would be a great spot IMHO

2009 Rally is in....

going to focus primarily on the GS crowd. It's being held 13km outside Kabul, Afghanistan. This is the only site available with a beer tent permit area.

going to focus primarily on the GS crowd. It's being held 13km outside Kabul, Afghanistan. This is the only site available with a beer tent permit area.

Actually, I think it would be nearly impossible to get a beer permit in Afghanistan unless we have the rally at a US military base. :p

I'm betting on a Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee area. For some reason I'm feeling strongly about Georgia, but I've been wrong before...

Follow the money

BMW Announces Plant Expansion

Spartanburg, S.C. (3/10/2008) ÔÇö BMW today announced it will invest an additional $750 million in its Upstate South Carolina factory to add 1.5 million square feet and 500 new jobs on site to produce three models and to increase production capacity to 240,000 units by 2012.

The investment is the largest ever announced for the Spartanburg County factory, increasing investments of the BMW Group in its South Carolina operations to $4.2 billion.

The three-year construction project includes a new 1.2 million square foot Assembly facility north of the existing factory to accommodate the next generation BMW X3 Sports Activity Vehicle. In addition, the Paint Shop will expand by about 80 percent or 300,000 square feet. The existing Body Shops will be renovated.

The additional investment will prepare the factory to increase production from 160,000 units to 240,000 units. The expansion of the Spartanburg plant also means a bigger purchase and export volume in and from the NAFTA region, which will contribute considerably to the companyÔÇÖs natural hedging position.

After the expansion, the Spartanburg plant will manufacture the BMW X3, X5 Sports Activity Vehicle and X6 Sports Activity Coupe and their respective variants for world markets. ÔÇ£Centralizing our know-how for BMW X models in Spartanburg will enable us to work more efficiently, thus supporting our long-range corporate strategy. In addition, it was a logical step for the BMW Group as a global player to increase production capacity in its largest market,ÔÇØ said BMW Board Member Frank-Peter Arndt.

A highlight will be the production of a diesel X5 Sports Activity Vehicle for the United States market starting later this year.

My bet is near Spartanburg.

I'd personally love to see us have the next national at the Barber Track and Museum.....three days of track-day.....oh my.....and the museum looks very cool too....Birmingham would be a great spot IMHO

I recall a thread several months ago where the suggestion was made and a response said they considered it but there were problems that kept it from being acceptable. I went to a RA Rally there a few years ago and it was great. However, I don't think it would be able to handle the MOA Rally because of the number of attendees.

The size of the MOA Rally eliminates a lot of good locations. I have been to conventions where the location was not large enough to handle the number of attendees and they were nightmares.

Actually, I think it would be nearly impossible to get a beer permit in Afghanistan unless we have the rally at a US military base. :p

I'm betting on a Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee area. For some reason I'm feeling strongly about Georgia, but I've been wrong before...

and you're wrong again:laugh

Narrowing the search area

You guys are off base. It's east coast for 09, maybe the Carolinas or New Jersey.

I am betting the east coast is the location; somewhere.

Wing Ding 30 is at the Palmetto Expo Center in Greenville, South Carolina next week. That's near the BMW Zentrum.

That's a gathering on the scale of our Rally.

Coincidence? Maybe it's a warm-up.

Wasn't "leaked" last year. Was announced at the BOD meeting. Public announcement, no secrets.

This year the contracts were not all in place at that meeting and no announcement was made.

Skillfully done, leaking it at a BOD meeting making it look like an announcement:stick

Skillfully done, leaking it at a BOD meeting making it look like an announcement:stick

Yeah, stating it in open session of the BOD meeting is the best way to "leak" something but make it appear otherwise. :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

Yeah, stating it in open session of the BOD meeting is the best way to "leak" something but make it appear otherwise. :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

Let's hope that wherever the rally will be held, there will be adequate lodging (convenient and reasonably priced) and that the dates don't conflict with vendors' other commitments. As someone mentioned, perhaps in future years venues used by the G-W crowd might be worth considering.

"tastes great, less filling"

this was fun.....I started a thread and it took off!

I guess I can highjack my own thread:

Observation: There seems to be a much larger local buzz with YBs for this Gillette Ralloy '08 than there was for West Bend '07; I rode out to West Bend alone after posting on YBs for company. I did take a shower before leaving, too.

Have a safe ride out all!!
I'll take lots of pics for my article on my Newfoundland trip on my RT.

Mark

Back