• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fuel lights

R75rider

Are the fuel warning lights on an 85 K100 prone to have any certain thing go bad? While I was almost running out of gas today I was reaching under the tank hunting the petcock to switch to reserve... never found one.

I was lucky enough to make it to a Texaco station before the engine quit. Since I still can't find a petcock I better check into fixing the warning lights!

I can't tell you about the fuel lights but there is no fuel petcock. I don't believe any fuel injected bike have or need a fuel petcock. When you turn the key off the fuel pump turns off. That accomplishes the same thing.

To expand on R75rider's answer:

Since there is not a petcock, there really isn't a reserve as well. On the 85s, you have one light come on at one level and then the next comes on at another (I don't remember the exact values--something like 6 liters and 4 liters for the two lights).

On my 88, one of the lights was replaced by the ABS light and I know I have 20 miles when the fuel light comes on.

The first thing to check is the bulbs themselves. IBMWR has good articles on how to get inside the instrument cluster and these are standard automotive bulbs.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech.shtml

Lights

Randy,

On the "K's" there is a float inside the tank (later included a guage) as part of the fuel pump assembly. That's what triggers the lights. When you change your fuel filter (if you haven't done that yet, I would recommend doing it real soon - and carring a spare in case it gets filled by some "buget" gas) you should see the float assembly. Try not to "bang" that float while changing the fuel filter or the "low fuel light turn on point" will change.

On my 85 K100RT I "lost" the bulb out of the yellow "7 liter" light and kept the red "4 liter" light. That would always give me an easy 35 miles to find a gas station. Running in the "5 grand sweet spot" and above (on an '85) could put you real close to that 35 miles.

So that "around a gallon" acts like a reserve.

Ride safe,
Don

Thanks for the answers everybody. It would be nice to have at least the 4L light as something to go by. I may tackle pulling the cluster this weekend if possible. I found the description over on that other site how to take it apart. Until then I'll do like the old days and open the cap and just look. After this tank of fuel runs out I'll know how many miles to go on the trip meter before I need to look.

Re: Lights

Don Hamblin said:
Randy,

On the "K's" there is a float inside the tank (later included a guage) as part of the fuel pump assembly. That's what triggers the lights. When you change your fuel filter (if you haven't done that yet, I would recommend doing it real soon - and carring a spare in case it gets filled by some "buget" gas) you should see the float assembly. Try not to "bang" that float while changing the fuel filter or the "low fuel light turn on point" will change.

On my 85 K100RT I "lost" the bulb out of the yellow "7 liter" light and kept the red "4 liter" light. That would always give me an easy 35 miles to find a gas station. Running in the "5 grand sweet spot" and above (on an '85) could put you real close to that 35 miles.

So that "around a gallon" acts like a reserve.

Ride safe,
Don

Don (and Randy)..

The FYK ('85) years and prior had NO float assembly in the tanks. Instead of a mechanical float - BMW used two thermo-resistive sensors, which work great in a lab - and awful on a bike. Starting in '86 model year - they went to a float assembly (and changed lots of other things in the tank and instrument pod and wiring - so a retrofit isn't really possible).

The one on my old FYK would randomly turn the lights on and off, to the point that I took the bulbs out.

A Fuel+ is the real answer, unfortunately Dave W has discontinued the K specific one in favor of a more universal design that hasn't been released yet. You might have some luck advertising looking for a used Fuel+ on the MOA or IBMWR marketplaces.

I read the post about the Fuel Plus a few days ago. I checked it out on the web and the price is way out of my range, so I didn't bother commenting on it.

I'm sure it's a fine addition or replacement for someone who could pay that price. I'm just too stingey right now with vacation coming up and the maintenance i'll have to do to my truck before the trip. But that's beside the point. Right now i'll just have to be happy with peering into the tank every few days.

Back