• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camcorders

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
Hey fellow photographers/videographers,

I'm in the market for camcorder, and I thought I'd poll the members here. Any suggestions? Should stick to HD camcorders only? FWIW, this camcorder will spend most of it's time shooting my son, not on the bike.

thanks.

FWIW, this camcorder will spend most of it's time shooting my son, not on the bike. .

I was told to stick to dv tape for shooting from onboard a bike, as it's more resilliant to knocks and vibrations. But as you aren't looking for that as a factor, then just get something with ccd and whatever your budget suggests is best for the outlay.

If this is your first venture into video my suggestion is to pick up a basic SD (Standard Def) Sony or Canon MiniDV camcorder that will record in 16:9. Most of the other bells and whistles you pay extra for on higher priced models are seldom used and most of your effects will be done in your computer when you edit.

A nice thing about tape vs. memory based capture, is when you fill up a tape just pop in another. Tapes are cheap and available most everywhere.

HDV (HiDef) camcorders are nice, but you may need more computer power to edit and store data.

Also consider your editing software. If you are a mac, then iMovie is a great place to start and you already have it. If you're a PC, then Adobe Premier Elements could work for you.

Back