• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gillette weather

Here is a question for Wyoming residents (or those knowledgeable in WY weather); what are the "normal" high and low temperatures we visitors can expect in late July? I am not camping but I do want to include the appropriate layers in my bag.

Volcanic:)

YNP being just west of Gillette will make for interesting talk, as its a SUPER Volcano and all us Beemer folks will be the target as it blows. Weather will be exceptionally hazardous! Just messing with you,BUT its true about YNP. A wonderful National Park, with some explosive history, 600000 years ago. I've been through Gillette on my bikes a few times in summer and its generally quite cool at night and warm to hot during the day. Plains storms start brewing in this Wyoming country too, so be prepared for BIG SKY country(Montana) storms passing through on the way to Nebraska,etcetc....Randy12333:doh :usa

July in Gillette

I work in the Gillette area (But Live In Rapid Cty SD.) :blah
If it quits raining by mid July it will most likely be around 90 and dry. Plan on some wind though. Nights do cool off nicely as in the deserts. Also plan on extra layers for the Bighorn mnts. At the time of this there is still 3ft of snow up high!
One thing for sure is that it will be very beutiful from the spring rains!
John

luvin' the GS

Snow and Wind......

I'm watching a heavy snow fall today here in Bozeman with the wind blowing at about 40 clicks, prepare for anything along I-90!

By the way, the Beartooth Highway opened up about ten days ago but the snow up there is still about 20 feet deep!

Cheers!

I bet all this cold weather this spring will make it a great year for the gentle little pasque flowers and forget me nots, then a bit lower a thousand ft. or so, lower altitude the Rocky Mountain Bluebells!

Wow! I bet it's beautiful there...can't wait!

But I say that praise of Wyoming and Montana as a Northen Clime person with my butt frozen to the ground 7 months out of the year who "enjoys? (not really the right word) the coldeer atmosphere!...

Your words, Big Sky, cheers me on, but also most likely scares the bejeebus out of the southern group in the BMWMOA flock packing and repacking their bike that they are riding to Gillette!

My word to them is by the time "we" get to Montana and WYO, the scenery will be gorgeous and maybe because of the cold they are getting now, a bit cooler summer when we get there, streams fuller, and a year to remember!

I cant wait!:boldpurpl

Red

Day Sunrise Sunset....Avg...Avg..Mean Record..........Record
................................High...Low........ ...High .............Low
17 5:34 AM 8:42 PM 85??F 55??F 70??F 102??F (1957) 41??F (1982)
18 5:35 AM 8:41 PM 85??F 55??F 70??F 102??F (1977) 42??F (1972)
19 5:36 AM 8:40 PM 85??F 55??F 70??F 102??F (1960) 43??F (1972)
20 5:37 AM 8:39 PM 85??F 55??F 70??F 103??F (1960) 42??F (1972)

For graphs, check this post:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=251840&postcount=12

We like to think of snow as money in the bank. We need the moisture. It is getting tiring, though. Just allow extra time, in the morning, if it snowed. It's still warm, well, a high of 46F, so if you wait a bit at least the pavement will be safe to ride on. The Beartooth keeps closing due to avalanches and Going-to-the-Sun is way behind schedule as to opening date. WY and MT have 511, it's road information via phone.

Gilette Hot?

IRONIC THAT GILETTE IS PICKED FOR THE RALLY WHICH WILL BE HOT - BUT MANY COMPLAIN THAT A RALLY IN THE SOUTHEAST WOULD BE TOO WARM. :scratch AND THE NEW REGIONS OUTLINED IN JULY BWMON INCLUDES FLORIDA WITH NEW ENGLAND. I GUESS IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN ____ BEFORE A NATIONAL IS HELD IN FLA.

IRONIC THAT GILETTE IS PICKED FOR THE RALLY WHICH WILL BE HOT - BUT MANY COMPLAIN THAT A RALLY IN THE SOUTHEAST WOULD BE TOO WARM. :scratch AND THE NEW REGIONS OUTLINED IN JULY BWMON INCLUDES FLORIDA WITH NEW ENGLAND. I GUESS IT WILL BE A COLD DAY IN ____ BEFORE A NATIONAL IS HELD IN FLA.

From what I've read, Gillette will have daily highs in the mid-80s. Is that hot for you? It'll be a very pleasant break from where I live, where daily highs will be over 100. Evenings and mornings will be delightful, and even the afternoons should be nice since it will be very dry.
I hear that temps may about the same at next year's site, but much more humid.

Mostly warm days, cool to cold nights;

Out west, we must travel with multi layers, for near freezing mountain passes in the AM hours to 100+ deserts in the days, so I carry two jackets if I can ride SOLO and for TWO UP, we pack one multi purpose jacket, electric vests and long sleeve shirts for the really hot days. Even in summer, if you ride the western states, the near freezing temps are common in the Rockies in the wee hours! Be prepared. Its usually very dry, no humidity, so this is another good western ride thing:). Rain, YES, but low humidity, when its not doing this. Gillette is just east of the Rockies, so very close and if one goes anything but EAST out of here, they had better have the right gear for variations in temps, bigtime:). Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear":thumb :usa PS; Another health thingy! Gillette is around 4000+ feet elevation, so the sun burn folks should take warning, as higher elevations make this issue even more intense! Wear your sunblock, Cowboy hats,etc,etc..:)

Polar Bear forgot to mention the wind which can be almost constant in Wyoming. I live in Colorado and regularly ride around Aspen, Vail and Steamboat as well as into Wyoming. Temperature variations can be dramatic. I have a BMW phase change jacket which is great for those temperature changes. I highly recommend them. Those of you from the East may also not realize that no matter how warm our days may be, it always cools off in the evening and you will want a jacket after the sun goes down. Even on days when the temperature reaches into the 90s you can expect it to cool off to the low 60s or even into the mid 50s. Moot

It's a dry heat.

Went through Gillette in Mid July a couple of summers ago. 114 and a steady 40mph south wind all across the planes along I-90 from Wyoming to Minnesota. We had highs of 100 in Yellowstone, but it would cool down into the 40's at night. We went through Glacier National Park that same trip and it hit 100 there, and we were over 8000 feet in elevation and about 30 miles from the Canadian border. The ranger told me it was highly unusual to be that warm in Glacier.

Drove home once from Glacier National park, second week in June.

On I-90, going through a pass. It was snowing (yes, actually a blizzard, in June) so hard, I didn't think I'd make it through the pass.

Weather variations happen.

I strongly suspect the weather will be cooler in Gillette over the 2009 MOA Rally location.

I just finished a Sherpa trip in Kingsport, TN (a week ago). It was quite hot and humid and generally miserable.

Then again, who'd figure the weather in July tends to be hot?

Back