• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ATGATT Questions

I agree with Mike. I believe it's just plain bad manners to take rude advantage of a small business person's time, facilities and resources while on a quest to save a few dollars

That's not to say I advocate wasting money. Frankly, I can't afford to, so I have bought quite a few items online at advantageous prices. I do, however, do business with my local dealer regularly. My last purchase of riding gear was done at my neighborhood shop, for instance, at prices that were only marginally higher than I could have realized online (about the cost of a decent restaurant meal). I have found that helping to provide an income for the local dealership beyond the VERY occasional purchase of a motorcycle pays off in terms of friendly and efficient service, advantageous pricing at times and just plain good will. It's a nice relationship that I cannot establish by entering credit card numbers on an Internet order form.

Last edited:
Thanks all

Okay, Thanks to all for a lot of good info. Now I have several sites I need to check out and hopefully I can get at the minimum a jacket sooner than later.

Looks like I'm going to have to do some of the dreaded side work, something I despise. I play electrician at work enough without having to do it in my off time.

I bought the Olympia hi-viz yellow jacket and Joe Rocket mesh pants with armor. The jacket was bought at the Daytona Bmw dealer during bike week and the pants were ordered over the internet. About $400 for both and in my opinion well spent. Ride Safe.

Ok everyone, now just calm down. I use online shopping for some items. some I buy at the dealer. its ok to save a buck without being cheap. but I also agree that you should support your Dealer. BMW motorcycles are expensive compared to the others available. so the cost of the correct gear is also going to be expensive. thats just part of the sport. so cowboy up.... lets have some fun in Gillette and stimulate the economy....:bolt

BMW motorcycles are expensive compared to the others available. so the cost of the correct gear is also going to be expensive. thats just part of the sport.

Uhhmmm, not sure I understand that logic. So if I'd bought a Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki I would have found gear in my budget? I don't think I'm trying to be anymore unsafe than you just because I can't afford top shelf at this time in my life. That's just my opinion though.

Okay first off I have to say it took me awhile to figure out what atgatt meant. :doh But then it finally hit me. Anyway, while I agree with the sentiment right now I'm having a hard time finding some of it that fits into the current budget.

Take for instance, the Aerostitch Darien motorcycle jacket. I really wouldn't mind getting one in the Hi-Viz color scheme, but honestly I can't drop the $500 they are asking.

Is there anywhere that sells riding gear in the more modest price range?

Tom

tourmaster....

No matter what your budget is that $300 pair of pants will look mighty cheap when the nurse is scrubbing the area with a really stiff bristled brush prepping you for the skin grafts.

No matter what your budget is that $300 pair of pants will look mighty cheap when the nurse is scrubbing the area with a really stiff bristled brush prepping you for the skin grafts.

Ohhhhh....That leaves a mark in my head.....

I raced bicycles for years and sliding across pavement at 40 mph on a bicycle in LYCRA isn't fun.....

Makes me want to ride the bike with my BIKE gear! :laugh

Atgatt

Take a look at Ironpony.com - they have some very attractive close out sale items.

I agree with Mike. I believe it's just plain bad manners to take rude advantage of a small business person's time, facilities and resources while on a quest to save a few dollars

That's not to say I advocate wasting money. Frankly, I can't afford to, so I have bought quite a few items online at advantageous prices. I do, however, do business with my local dealer regularly. My last purchase of riding gear was done at my neighborhood shop, for instance, at prices that were only marginally higher than I could have realized online (about the cost of a decent restaurant meal). I have found that helping to provide an income for the local dealership beyond the VERY occasional purchase of a motorcycle pays off in terms of friendly and efficient service, advantageous pricing at times and just plain good will. It's a nice relationship that I cannot establish by entering credit card numbers on an Internet order form.

I agree with Mike on this as well. Generally what I will do is at least give the dealer a chance to come down a little...for example, I went into the dealer when the new Symax II helmets came out and got the right size...then went back home to see if the price was "fair". There was a good $75 difference in what I could get it for (after shipping even). I went back to the dealer and they split the difference with me. I didn't get as good as I could've online, but I also supported the local dealer.

Anyway...just my 2 cents....

My local BMW dealer asked me to always contact him to see if he can match an accessories price, and I opt for him when he does or even if he comes close enough.

By the way, the advrider.com marketplace is a great source. I posted a Wanted ad there for gear, and was very pleased with the responses.

Fred

You want hi-viz at a reasonable price(about $150.00) and good quality?
Try the Tourmaster Transition II in yellow. Here is a photo of me in mine.
Can you see me now?

Last edited:
You want hi-viz at a reasonable price(about $150.00) and good quality?
Try the Tourmaster Transition II in yellow. Here is a photo of me in mine.
Can you see me now?

Heck no I can not see YOU because of all the glare off of your jacket. :laugh :laugh

"Local" dealers

Dear friends......keep your "local" dealers in business......my closest is now 240 miles, 2d closest: 250 miles........:blush

Back