• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ATGATT Questions

K

kf4mat

Okay first off I have to say it took me awhile to figure out what atgatt meant. :doh But then it finally hit me. Anyway, while I agree with the sentiment right now I'm having a hard time finding some of it that fits into the current budget.

Take for instance, the Aerostitch Darien motorcycle jacket. I really wouldn't mind getting one in the Hi-Viz color scheme, but honestly I can't drop the $500 they are asking.

Is there anywhere that sells riding gear in the more modest price range?

Tom

www.newenough.com

I like my first gear stuff.

I have the First Gear Voyager jacket which I wear in the winter. They don't make it anymore, the comprable jacket is the Kilimanjaro.

I have HT overpants. Again, winter and colder weather.

For the summer I wear the First Gear MeshTex pants, jacket, and gloves. You can get the entire ensemble for less than 500 bucks. Buy your winter stuff when it gets colder.

Actually...what size are you? I have a pair of meshtex pants that don't fit me anymore. PM me for details. And I am going to be down your way on Thursday night.

Brian

Okay first off I have to say it took me awhile to figure out what atgatt meant. :doh But then it finally hit me. Anyway, while I agree with the sentiment right now I'm having a hard time finding some of it that fits into the current budget.

Take for instance, the Aerostitch Darien motorcycle jacket. I really wouldn't mind getting one in the Hi-Viz color scheme, but honestly I can't drop the $500 they are asking.

Is there anywhere that sells riding gear in the more modest price range?

Tom

Do your shopping on the net. Then go to local dealers and try things on. There are many companies that make quality gear. Olympia, First Gear, Tourmaster are just a few.
If you are like me, I have to try on jackets because different manufacturers sizes are different.

I also can not buy riding pants off the rack due to short inseam and large waist. Motoport will alter a great deal and its reasonably priced.

Motogear Outlet in Denver

http://www.motogearoutlet.com/

These folks advertise in the OM, I've bought several items from them and have been very pleased. They are helpful and are riders.

I can't recommend them highly enough. If you are the same size as some of their closeout material you can save a huge pile of cash.

I have a 1st Gear Transition jacket and am pretty happy with it for the majority of my riding.

Between my jacket, helmet (Scorpion) pants (1st Gear), boots (1st Gear again) and gloves I spent around $550 total.

Helmet is DOT/Snell, jacket and pants have CE armor. Boots are waterproof.

Safe riding.

Motogear Outlet (motogearoutlet.com) in Colorado has some nice online bargains right now. Also check motorcyclecloseouts.com and denniskirk.com for discontinued gear at nice prices.

I have a wonderful Aerostich Roadcrafter outfit thanks to the generosity of my wife last Christmas, but when it came to summer wear, I had to look elsewhere due to economic constraints. I got a RevIt Air jacket and Mistral pants, complete with waterproof zip-out lining) a few weeks ago for about half the price of the Aerostich gear and I'm very happy with them. I am an ATGATT guy and wore the RevIts today with the temperature at 98 degrees and the humidity at 70 percent. I can't say I was comfortable during my two-hour journey, but I survived intact enough to write this. And I saw a 7-foot bunny rabbit today, too, right in front of me on the road.

Harvey the Rabbit?

Was Jimmy Stewart with Harvey?:blah

"...was Jimmy Stewart with Harvey?"

What -- do you think I'm crazy?? No -- this definitely was NOT Harvey. Harvey was a six-foot pookah. This rabbit was at least a foot taller.

Craig
who knows what he saw in the 98 degree heat in Merry-Land

You should take a good look at the TourMaster and Olympia lines.

Both offer style, great fabrics and colors, and great construction, and of course, good value.

Even my local BMW dealer handles these lines in addition to the BMW apparel.

If you cannot shop locally, give him a shout.

www.nicksbmw.com

Good Luck and ATGATT!

Motogear Outlet (motogearoutlet.com) in Colorado has some nice online bargains right now. Also check motorcyclecloseouts.com and denniskirk.com for discontinued gear at nice prices.

I've done business with them and they are real stand up folks. I highly recommend them.

Tourmaster not 1st Gear

:doh Should have said Tourmaster Transition jacket, pants etc.

Not 1st gear.

I didn't mention before how great First Gear's/Tucker Rocky's customer service is. I have been real happy with there gear and they stand by it. I had a zipper failure on a pair of pants I had for awhile. Gave them a call. Out of warranty, and they replaced the pants with a brand new pair. :thumb

For pants I have found a good solution to have one pair for all seasons. I purchased the FirstGear HT Air Overpants that have the zip-out rain liner. In colder 30-50 degree (0-10C) weather, I run with the rain liner installed with a pair of fleece base layer skiing pants under. My legs are no colder than when I ski in sub-freezing temperatures. If I start out in the morning and the temps are cooler, and then warm out, you can remove the rain liner and you're good in the 50-70 (10-20C) degree range. If the temps continue to climb on you, then you can remove the base layer pants and you're set for temps right up as high as you can stand it.

As for jackets, I've not come up with a system quite as good as the pants. I use the FirstGear Jaunt jacket for 30-70 (0-20C) range, and a Mesh-Tex jacket does the rest of the way. I do have to say though, that we were at Americade this past week and bought cooling vests. We didn't pack our mesh jackets figuring on seasonable temperatures, not the heat we got on the weekend, and the cooling vest made the ride in the near 100 (35C) degree mark bearable with the cooler weather jacket. The only time we started to over-heat was the wait at the border and thankfully it was very efficient yesterday. A few moments back on the road and we were nice and cool again.

My total investment for all 3 pieces was just shy of $500. My wife rides with similar set up substituting a Kilimanjaro jacket for the cooler weather, again around $500 for all pieces.

Agree on First Gear

www.newenough.com

I have the First Gear Voyager jacket which I wear in the winter. They don't make it anymore, the comprable jacket is the Kilimanjaro.

For the summer I wear the First Gear MeshTex pants, jacket, and gloves. You can get the entire ensemble for less than 500 bucks. Buy your winter stuff when it gets colder.

Actually...what size are you? I have a pair of meshtex pants that don't fit me anymore. PM me for details. And I am going to be down your way on Thursday night.

Brian

I also like the First Gear line...good quality for reasonable prices. I also like Fieldsheer. Neither may be quite up to the quality of Aerostich or BMW gear but both are value in comparison and offer better than average protection.

Another vote for newenough...

www.newenough.com

Brian

I have purchased 3 jackets (not all for me!), 2 pair of pants, at least 2 pair of gloves and a helmet from newenough. Great service, great return policy and decent prices. I like the Firstgear products pretty well myself. I bought my Belstaff Mercury at the local International Motorcycle Show when it was in town. Same product available from the aforementionied britishmotorcyclegear web site.

Atgatt

Teknic makes a great jacket that is not only warm when you need it but the liner becomes a mesh jacket. I also have a Tourmaster mesh jacket, very good but not as versatile.

I want to take exception to a comment made in an earlier post. Trying something on at a dealer's showroom and ordering it on the net is bush. I order all the time from the net but I also support my local dealer when I can. We all want to keep these guys in business so they will be there when we need them

I want to take exception to a comment made in an earlier post. Trying something on at a dealer's showroom and ordering it on the net is bush. I order all the time from the net but I also support my local dealer when I can. We all want to keep these guys in business so they will be there when we need them

I have to agree. Nothing illegal about it, of course, but it just seems to be bad form. If you are going to avail yourself of the dealer's service and stock to determine your correct size, then you should be willing to pay the dealer for this service by buying from the dealer. If you want to go the mail order/internet route, fine, but then order the size(s) you think are correct, and then return/exchange until you get the right fit.

Frankly, to me it's one thing to be thifty . . . but quite another to be cheap. IMHO.

I have to agree. Nothing illegal about it, of course, but it just seems to be bad form. If you are going to avail yourself of the dealer's service and stock to determine your correct size, then you should be willing to pay the dealer for this service by buying from the dealer. If you want to go the mail order/internet route, fine, but then order the size(s) you think are correct, and then return/exchange until you get the right fit.

Frankly, to me it's one thing to be thifty . . . but quite another to be cheap. IMHO.

Must be nice to have money leaking out of a faucet somewhere. If someone can save some money by shopping wisely and that allows them to ride well equipped it is no reason to call them bush, cheap or bad form. It is attitudes like that make people call BMW riders uppity, snobbish, boorish, self-rightous etc......IMHO

You should take a good look at the TourMaster and Olympia lines.

Both offer style, great fabrics and colors, and great construction, and of course, good value.

Even my local BMW dealer handles these lines in addition to the BMW apparel.ts

If you cannot shop locally, give him a shout.

www.nicksbmw.com

Good Luck and ATGATT!

I just bought some new Olympia pants and a reflective vest from the dealer you mentined. They are good quality, and very good value. The pants kept my legs very dry in the Great Wisconsin Deluge we had this past weekend when I rode home from work in a torrential rain.

Tourmaster is pretty good stuff as well but I felt as thought the zippers were cheaper quality than the Olympia.

Must be nice to have money leaking out of a faucet somewhere. If someone can save some money by shopping wisely and that allows them to ride well equipped it is no reason to call them bush, cheap or bad form. It is attitudes like that make people call BMW riders uppity, snobbish, boorish, self-rightous etc......IMHO

Read my note a little closer. I did not say there is anything wrong with saving money by shopping online. I do it all the time. However, what I do not do is go down to the dealer to check out the merchandise the dealer is paying for to keep in stock, and use up the time of the salepeople (who are being paid by the dealer and/or work on commission), when I know I have absolutely no intention of buying anything from the dealer. I just feel that the dealer is not my free fitting room for some unrelated online order. This has nothing to do with uppity BMW riders.

Shop online all you want. I certainly will. I just think it is bad form to intentionally let someone else provide you with free service at their cost. I don't call that "shopping wisely" . . . I call that taking advantage of others and being cheap. I am sure that dealers expect some of that kind of "shopper", but it does not make it right. JMHO.

Back