• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Tour of Dual Sport Events & MC Rallies

ASRA Pro Series Round 5 of 8 Road America July 6, 2008

326507658_tScbJ-XL-3.jpg

:dance
!!!!!N8! wins the ASRA Thunder National! He has extended his points lead and did it at the Buell 25th homecoming at Road America. A real battle with a draft pass on the up hill to the finish.

If my memory serves me (I was pretty busy all weekend):

Nate's fastest lap that John timed was during Saturday practice. It was like 1:27.2 on the "A" bike with no weight added and a FULL fuel tank.

Race 1
CCS Expert Thunderbike 2nd (impressively came from 3rd to 2nd and pushed 1st to the end)
Race 2
CCS Supertwins 2nd (was hot on Estok but Dave used a rider to hold off Nate)
CCS Thunderbike 1st (was at least the full front straight a head of the field by the 3rd lap and "coasted" the last 2 laps at around 2:29 and finished with a substantial lead) This race of course was finished with a wall strafe and boot wave.

ASRA Pro
1st (it was so neat to see that white #12 with Nate along side flanked by the Buells)
This win was critical for the championship effort. Nate rode his butt off. He is in a very nice place right now.

Stopping in the pits and chatting with BMW racing privateer Nate Kerr and grasslander was the highlight of my weekend​

326510182_BjXuH-XL.jpg

ASRA Pro Series
Round 5 of 8
Road America
July 6, 2008

NATE KERN, MARIETTA, GA.
BMWXplor.com,
BMW of Atlanta,
Suomy, Pirell

326514855_UaRuR-XL.jpg

Road America

330157031_DePub-XL-1.jpg

326546671_rba6H-XL.jpg

These four photos are taken with a 5 mega-pixel 4x optical zoom (very cheap) Canon A610 and these photo were cropped to bring the subject in closer. A very popular spot with the fans and the best place and time on the Road America track to get a close-up of a racer is just after the Toyota Bridge and with the morning sun at your back. These photos were taken in the afternoon, hence the shadowed bike. Hit F11 on your keyboard for full view.​
.​

326543784_7y3cQ-XL-1.jpg

330181189_wRTdJ-XL-1.jpg

Nice Pics

Santa,
As always you have such great photos.
The ones from Mountain are really familiar as Barr has done hunting from the trail and trussel . The girls and myself have spent time walking down them. Barr's Family has land just west of that trail, so we've been to the booming city of Mountain.

That reminds me of that Coen Brothers Movie: Millers Crossing... Looks like the road in the movie...
Anyway, Neat shot. Great images over-all!

Attachments

• millerscrossing.jpg
    millerscrossing.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 304
That looks like a fantastic time. Especially on a KTM :thumb

Thanks for the nice comments and looking at my ride report.

I was on the BMW R100GS and I kinda stayed with Randy's KTM 950 on single and two track. The KTM was the first through the woods followed by the DR 650 then my R100GS.The KTM was equipped with a GPS that reads tracks as my 2610 Street Pilot was useless in the middle of the forest. The KTM had to navigate and avoid tree limbs, not only hanging but on the ground. All I had to do is follow, so I did have a much easier ride. All three bikes were in the power range in first gear, as second dropped the power range down or the speed to high. My GPS indicated 22 MPH and tachometer at 4000 RPM. I have a Race Tech cartridge emulator damping system on the front fork and Fox Twin Clicker shock for the rear suspension. I was standing on the Fastways Pegs the whole ride. My legs were very sore the next day. I do need higher handle bars. The Beemer was barking like a dog as the fender and the large knobby tire came in contact as I hit the rough terrain. Luclily, the tire/fender contact did no damage.

One young fella on a KTM 450 EXC past me, and the DR 650 with the front wheel in the air, he then dropped the front end down as he passed the KTM 950.

The ride was a fantastic time, especially on a vintage BMW and not hurting myself.

S & S Stroker Engine 50th anniversary

323177023_xzrAE-XL.jpg

http://www.sscycle.com/

S&S is a V twin motorcycle engine manufacturers near La Cross WI, They have 80 CNC machines and employ about 400 folks. S&S has just come out with a new X-Wedge engine with 135 (stock) crank horsepower. I guess S&S fits well with the other Wisconsin V Twin motorcycle engine manufacturers, namely HD and Victory.

Here is a nice article from the Milwaukee Journal about S&S and their 50 years of building custom V-twin engine parts, including it S&S carburetors. S&S Motor Company

:thumb
http://www.sscycle50th.com/:thumb
The dates for the celebration was the June 27th, 2008 weekendThe official location was at the Oktoberfest grounds adjacent to the Mississippi River in downtown La Crosse,

Saturday morning I toured S&S Viola Wisconsin facility, Saturday afternoon I paid the 5 buck fee and enjoyed the 50 builder/50 bike build-off for $50,000 at the Octoberfest grounds. Sunday Morning went back to the Octoberfest grounds and at noon I visited the S&S La Crosse facilities

It was a great weekend at the 50 Anniversary Party for S&S Motors!

:thumb

S&S Ranch/Viola Wisconsin

323191647_NBnjq-XL.jpg

323206087_PLqDS-XL.jpg

S&S Museum Bikes​

323207253_4Wr6W-XL.jpg

S&S Museum and Factory Tour/Viola, Wisconsin

After the Museum tour, I also took the Viola factory tour. This was one of the best tours of any type I have ever taken. The tour guide showed how S&S will make a engine block out of two halves of billet aluminum. We went in the factory, engineers offices, R&D, test cells and everywhere in between. On Sunday I took the La Crosse S&S factory tour which was also very impressive.

If you are ever in the area, call S&S and they may set up a tour for you. The Museum is only 10 miles from the Great River Road Rally and some of the best roads in the Midwest.

297506360_KCFSr-XL.jpg

297509596_P7z32-XL.jpg

La Crosse Octoberfest Grounds

323143317_dwXCi-XL.jpg

323248464_s8QYA-XL.jpg

One of my favorite bikes was not in the show

323263004_XERBX-XL.jpg

Not one of my favorite bikes. But a good bike to see how good a camera can record colors

Back