• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Tour of Dual Sport Events & MC Rallies

Road America

Great pics Santa, thanks
This was AHRMA's 2nd year back at road America after a few years away due to scheduling problems and we had a good turnout of vintage and modern bikes about 250 total. For anyone who has never been to road America it's a 4 mile long track located North of Milwaukee Wisconsin in one of the most scenic areas of the midwest and a great road riding area. The track now has camping for racers and spectators (for a fee) plus showers in the camping areas, I haven't seen the shower facilities in the camp grounds but the one in the paddock is acceptable. The race track itself is fantastic, it's smooth and wide with lots of places to pass and it is especially good for the vintage sidecar racers we have as they can make a pass on any of the curves. Road America wants to turn the Vintage races into a vintage festival for 2010 and plans on having a Jerry Wood auction and large flea market much like AMA Vintage days and the Barber fest in the fall. if all goes as planned? there will be a vintage Motocross, trials & cross country race at the track and hopefully some dirt track at Plymouth Wi. just up the road. All of this is still in the planning stages so check back on the AHRMA website www.ahrma.org for updates. The dates for 2010 are june 12 & 13 with a practice day on friday. ride on over and check it out and come into the pit area and take pics and ask questions (we love to talk about our machines)
PS Norbert Nichols's 1939 BMW's are always fast...

Mike Dixon/ Yellowmike
AHRMA 839
BMW MOA 27118

563397133_7AeBU-XL.jpg

:germanSome nice Airheads:german

563373852_BWxLb-XL.jpg

563584310_YfUfg-XL-1.jpg

563368436_DeZry-XL.jpg

563587127_Q7yUD-XL-1.jpg

563584989_5Dn6c-XL.jpg

563387418_7QPPi-X3.jpg

This kid was having a great time
play racing on his dad's motorbike​

563400652_QyCtL-XL.jpg

On a windless day, this Saint Cloud bridge
is almost a guarantee of a perfect mirror reflection

The nine arch stone bridge is located about 20 miles west of Elkhart Lake
in Wisconsin's Holy Land​

.....Byron, Illnois/Leaf River - - - Dual Sport/Enduro Ride

A year ago, I rode the Byron/Leaf River ride on my 1988 R100GS. The Leaf River Dual Sport course was run on about 90% of the famous Leaf River enduro loop. This Enduro route was similar to the Brush Popper's Cow Patty Enduro which I rode a month earlier.

I guess that was when ,:scratch I had a mind changing Revelation. I realized that the BMW was a great dual sport bike, but not an enduro machine. The BMW just doesn't have the ground clearance to make it over stumps and through deep mud without some help from my riding partner MMMotorcycle. At my age of 57, I decided to try not to make it a practice to ride enduro courses on my BMW.

I have had my 2006 KLX250s for almost a year, and this and the (muddy) Bucky were my only two rides on the Green Machine. Fellow Dualsporters ask me where is the KLX and I reply that I love the Airhead GS, and the KLX is at home.

The Leaf River DS ride was originally scheduled for November 1, but because of record rainfall was postponed till November 15. Mid November around this part of the woods could see us riding ice and snow instead of rivers and mud.

The route was a 27 mile loop with the option to run it twice. Dan 888 (young & fast) has a KLX250s just like mine and Dan ran the route twice :thumb

715523003_G7azT-XL.jpg

BENRON said:
most exciting thing I saw-- He *almost* made it all the way across the bridge-​
CIMG7868.jpg

He was fine, and finished the ride
- - -

This was my first time doing the event. To gauge the difficulty, I'd have to say that its a 30 mile loop, of which 25 miles are the kind of stuff you'd find on the "hero routes" of other dualsport rides in the area. Tiring on a KLR... But very fun

I'll be back​
:thumb

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Hit F11 for Full screen viewing

715549957_C82ZC-X3.jpg

sideshow said:
Great ride, well marked and put together.

How hard can it be to go 30 miles? Sitting at one of the stops about 1.5 hours in, the GPS was checked. "We've gone 8 miles."

Was fun to watch BENRON's KLR650 in the mudslides. Like a motorboat with a broken rudder

Best line of the day overheard near the stream crossing:

"Are you one of the organizers?"
"no."
"Well we got to get those guys a chainsaw."​

715519280_8oNTs-X3.jpg

madwrench said:
One of my buddies said that to one of the Forest City Riders members many years ago at the enduro. His response:

"A chainsaw? So....you want us to drop MORE trees over the trail?"​

715529356_gd74g-X3.jpg

.....Byron, Illnois/Leaf River - - - Log Jumping/Enduro Ride

715471439_kVDTj-XL.jpg

Too Many Toys said:
LOL I told the guys riding with me that I was going to file a formal complaint, there was one fallen log that they failed to include in the trail​

Quite a few trees to duck under too. I bonked my helmet more than once​

I couldn't count the number of logs/ trees we went over. Some of them were big enough to bottom out the bike​
IMG_4685.jpg

If you werent going over them you were going through them, rubbing bark off with your barkbusters​
IMG_4688.jpg

[/IMG]

I think they hired the local beavers to clear the trail​
IMG_4709.jpg

Above: Dan888's (3) photos

715538377_9VjNG-XL.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Leaf River - - lot's of bridges

715551607_QVfuJ-X3.jpg

715461486_F7bSK-X3.jpg

715472371_gXBSn-X3.jpg

715473717_RNSba-XL.jpg

Below:
The group of riders were attending to an injured rider.
He was really in pain. Hope he is doing well.​

715474666_Trzps-X3.jpg

********************Leaf river - - - ducking trees

f650gsa said:
. . .This was my first attempt and I was a bit disappointed that I could not finish it . If you noticed a black BMW F650GS that was me . I rode the first section and my riding skills , the weight of the bike , the single track and not having a riding partner to give me a hand in need didn't go along very well . I apologize if you guys had to wait for me to move aside and many thanks to the riders that helped me out in times of need . Even I had a rough time I enjoyed the full of it and I'll be back but not on a 400lbs bike . I finally realized that my 650GS is too much to hassle with it on single track so it's time to get me a real single track toy . I rode TAT on the same bike but let's not forget that TAT is not a single track adventure and most of the sections are relatively easy . . .I love the bike and it performs well on wider trails since I swapped the suspension and converted the bike into a Dakar ( longer forks and shock and 21" front wheel) but the Sunday ride finally proved that I should stay away from difficult single track and get for this type of rides a lighter bike .​
DSC04790.JPG

f650gsa, nice meeting you
& you are right, it's great to have a riding partner​

f650gsa said:
The biggest issue on this rides was the trees going over and under . The bike will not fit under those trees so I will have to lean it over and going over the rear tire will slide to the side and off it goes . Then try to lift up a 400lbs + all by myself ! I am still in a long process of learning to ride much better off-road and single track is my next move !​

715553385_6FmpR-X3.jpg

715468762_NddYd-X3.jpg

River Hill Soliloquy
(The Story of An Illinois Farm)
by Clarence Mitchell​

715469806_7BEuA-X3.jpg

I not only enjoy the ride,
but also getting in touch with nature​

Back