Thread: Help needed in Des Moines

Help needed in Des Moines

I loaned my K75 to my daughter in Des Moines, and she is having battery problems. Might be a bad battery, but I thought the battery was fine. On the other hand, I don't know for sure how old it is.... DANG!
    Is there anyone on this forum in Des Moines who could take a run over to her place to take a look-see?
    thanks
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; MOA Director
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

If you've got the MOA anonymous book around, you might be able to get her in touch with someone there that could help her locally.
    Edde
    93 K75s
    www.motoedde.com

Probably. But I am at work today. Just thought I'd throw this out there, just in case.
    Sue Rihn #43753

JWHITE518
    I'm not in Des Moines, but someone else on the MOA board told me about this local shop:

Cycle Clinic,
    2209 M.L.King Jr PKWY
    Des Moines, Ia. 50314
    515-288-6954 or 1-800-728-3269

thanks..... I'll forward that information to her.

Sue Rihn #43753

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite518 View Post
    I'm not in Des Moines, but someone else on the MOA board told me about this local shop:

Cycle Clinic,
    2209 M.L.King Jr PKWY
    Des Moines, Ia. 50314
    515-288-6954 or 1-800-728-3269
    This is a good shop, ask for Jim the owner.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

That's great to hear. Thanks. I'll pass this on to Hallie. Today she is going to hook up a trickle charger to see if she can get it charged to the point that she can start it. Don't want her to fry the starter relay though, so I told her to use a light touch.

It was running fine when I left it there on Memorial Day weekend. But I have no idea of how old the battery is. When was Reagan President?

If she can get it running, I told her to take it on a freeway blast for an hour or so, to recharge it. And then maybe get a battery anyway.

And so it goes. I plan to camp with her and her brother (Rasbutan) at the Iowa Rally next weekend. Family times on Beemers. Is this living or what?
    Sue Rihn #43753

gbrickell

Batt

I've found that if batteries are not hooked up to tenders during the off season ( if there is such a thing to you ), they tend not to last more than a couple years.

Not that this is news to you, but after you get a new battery, assuming that is your issue, I'd get your daughter a batter tender to use when the bike will be parked for long periods.

Too bad she isn't a little closer to me in Kansas City, I'd be glad to help out. Des Moines is a few hours away, not too far but far enough to be a little out of your range to assist.

If you or she ever rides to the Kansas City area, and need anything, feel free to look me up in the Anon book under Lees Summit, MO. I think I'm the only Lees Summit entry, and happy to help out if you are nearby at any point. LS is on the SE side of KC.

Des Moines is a big enough town that surely someone in the Anon book would be around there and happy to give you a hand here if you call around.

Good luck

How did it turn out?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT