• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help Stranded In Fairbanks

O

Ozonkiller

My husband is stranded in the Go North Campground in Fairbanks, Alaska with a 1996 R1100RS. The bike sputtered and died. No spark and apparintly no fule injection, as the plugs are dry. There is fuel in the tank and the fuel pump does cycle. The R.I.D. does display and the engine cranks normally with good compression. Tom suspecte the timing sensor (Hall sensor) is dead.
Any ideas?
Any ways to test sensor?
(The local dealer is of limited help so far. )
Just complete the Hall road sucessfully to Prudhoe Bay, so things could be much worse. This occured several hours after washing the mud off the bike. This may be mositure related, but so far have found nothing that was wet.
Appreciate all help.

Sounds like he has badly deteriorated Hall Effect Sensor wires. If so, water is NOT his friend, but it may run if he can get it dry.

Better yet, remove the HES and at least tape up the wires to keep them from shorting out.

If he does not know what I mean, he needs a mechanic to help him out.

Jim :brow

This is just a wild guess, and I'm sure you'll get some more knowledgeable responses, but I agree with your husband that it might be the Hall sensors, especially since the problem began after he washed the bike (with a pressure washer?).

It's possible that the insulation on the Hall wiring harness has dried out over the years from heat and cracked, letting moisture short it out. This is a known problem on older 1100 bikes.

If I was in his situation, I'd probably go ahead and pull the tank & alternator and expose as much of the harness as possible to inspect it. If it looks bad he can feel more confident about ordering a replacemnt (they're a bit pricey), or he could attempt wrapping the wires with heat resistant tape as a temporary fix.

I wish him luck! This is the stuff that adventures are made of!

He is now putting the hall sensor back in. There was ZERO signs of moisture. (It was actually still dusty under the cover.) He is going to continue to inpect the connectors and such.
Does he need to strip the outer insulation back?
Does anyone have an idea where the wires usually break?
Does anyone know how to meter it?
Keep your suggestion coming. He appreciates the input!!

Often the wires short internally when the insulation deteriorates from heat. The most common place, from my limited experience, for the wires to short are where they go up over the top near the alternator. Make sure the connector looks good as well.

The other possibility is the coil. I had one go bad on my 94RS. Not much you can do with it but replace it.

Jim :brow

Paul and Voni are in the area see if you can find their email
barring that ask Don..what to do.Michael.

re read my email (today's) they are in the

THANKS! from near Skagway, AK aerea

Last edited:
So it was the Halls sensor, like you and Tom both thought. The Land's End shop is coming around with help and working to get the part in the next couple of days. So I think he has it all hammered out. He thanks you all for your imput and ideas. It really helps when you are 5000 miles from home.

Have him find George in Fairbanks--the old BMW dealer. People at the only motorcylce shop in town will know him, or he hangs out in the coffee shop near the university in the mornings. He was riding an old K bike with a fairing smashed in several places from ice mishaps in the winter. If George likes him, he will go out of his way for him and is a wealth of knowledge and assistance. IF not...well, he's no worse off.

LT

lots of local riders on Advrider.com in the Alaska forum who would love to help, I am at the airport heading out, otherwise I would post it for you.... Good luck.

Update: Stranded in Fairbanks

Making a long story short.

I am back home in sunny and warm Phoenix.

The following Monday the shop called and said that my bike is running. George came in on Sunday, changed a relay and the bike started. Being that I had already tried switching relays and the fact that they put the "bad" relay in another bike and it ran I was not convinced. Also the super dooper BMW computer said the Hall effect senser was bad. The fix was having the bike sit in a nice warm and dry shop for a couple of days. Everyone seemed to agree.

The new part showed up that afternoon. I threw it in my saddle bags and off I went to complete my trip.

Despite 6 days of rain I made home with no issues.

I never use a power washer on my bike, but after I got home I intentionally got down and dirty with a power washer, especially around the front of the engine and sure enough the bike developed and miss and started to die. I installed the new HES. I'll dissect the old one and maybe even determine a way to meter them.

A HUGE debt of gratitude to all of you who responded and offered your assistance.

The folks at Trails End BMW jumped through every hoop needed to get me back up and running. When it was all said and done they dinged me for one lousy hour of labor. Thanks to Scooter, Jerry, George and everyone at Trails End.

Also a special thanks to Kevin Huddy (AKBeemer) and his lovely wife who stopped by the Go North campground to check on my well being and offered to help me out with lodging and garage space. Very nice folks and very comforting to know that you have options open you should things get ugly.

Thanks again to all.

I'll try to put together a trip report.

Tom and Karen Krause

Tom,
Lots of info here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=8854&highlight=Hall+Sensor
The insulation fails inside the harness just under the upper strain relief clamp on the HES plate. I've rebuilt several and found disintegrated insulation on every one. You can't see the damage till you remove the sheath and then you might as well put new tefon wires in it. The whole procedure is detailed here:
http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/oilhead_hall_sensors.pdf

Just rebuild your old one and carry it as a spare for when you new one fails the same way. Bosch has never (AFAIK) improved the quality of their wire.

Wish I had seen your original plea for help. :(

Glad you made it home ok, also a great trip report,you meet more people on the road when you need them and the Great Group of freinds we have here care..:german Great People:wave :gerg :ca :beer

This thread should be an example to those on this forum that complain and whine about the club and to those that subscribed to the thread. "Once again what does the MOA offer"

I second that..I mean THIRD that! This is the stuff that made me want a BMW in the first place!

So, if you're ever stranded in Woodstock, Illinois.....:laugh

Back