• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cylinder Guards vs Crash Bars

Kenn45

I am looking at putting some valve cover protection on my '07 RT. Choices are the BMW guards and the Touratech crash bars. Any comments or recommendations?

I am looking at putting some valve cover protection on my '07 RT. Choices are the BMW guards and the Touratech crash bars. Any comments or recommendations?

I went with the BMW guards since they don't look all funky hanging out there.

...and from experience they (BMW protectors) work in a tip-over. Don't know what protection they'd afford if you were moving at any speed.

...and from experience they (BMW protectors) work in a tip-over. Don't know what protection they'd afford if you were moving at any speed.

The R1150R OEM valve cover guards prevent the road surface from grinding through the magnesium and releasing oil. I would hope the thinner R1200R guards do as well. I opted for aftermarket stainless-steel guards. These allow you to get home. BMW now offers a foldable temporary valve cover, too.

There is another recent thread here on valve cover guards.

Fred
'07 R1200R

Have the Touratech bars. Look good and are great in a drop.

Some believe the crash bars could actually do more harm than good because they don't provide much surface area and less friction during a slide.

Head protectors may slow the bike more...

I prefer the look of head protectors over crash bars on most street bikes. The C is the main exception (embrace the chrome).

If BMW is new to you, GET SOMETHING! These bikes are top heavy and like to go.

Last point: head protectors can be replaced individually...

The advantage of crash bars is that you can mount handy things, like highway pegs and lights, on them.

TC

There was a post over in the R1200R section of 1150r.org that showed a set that had hit the ground and they didn't fare too well. there was some damage to the valve cover. I prefer the looks (that is what I have also), but they are not too robust.

http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14004&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20#p125821

I took the bike in for its 6K. I was thinking of going with the Touratech bars. The service manager was able to show me another RT with them installed. It looked like they would work well, but I didn't like the looks. He also said they charged an extra 20 minutes for servicing because it was difficult to get them on and off. He also showed me a bike with the BMW plastic guards. The looked pretty unsubstantial, but he said they were sacrificial and would protect the valve covers from cracking. He offered another alternative. They had previously installed the guards from the GS Adventure on Rs, Ss, and GSs. He thought they would fit on the RT, although they had not done it yet. I went that route. They fit perfectly, look like they belong on the bike (basically disappear), and look to have some real substance. They are relatively heavy gauge aluminum, with rubber shock pads between the guards and the valve covers. They were more expensive than the plastic and less than half the price of the Touratechs. I would recommend them.

I prefer the look of head protectors over crash bars on most street bikes. The C is the main exception (embrace the chrome).

Cylinder guards on the "C" also facilitate a place to rest/stretch your legs.

But addressing the original question. Go w/ looks and cost.
After a slide all that really matters is "you". :heart

I'll give it a shot on the pictures. I was going to add a closeup, but it will only let me do one file. As you can see, they look good. What you can't see is that they appear to be pretty rugged.

Attachments

• RT Guards.jpg
    RT Guards.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 187
I went with the Wunderlich crash bars on my CLC. They look good and are quite substantial. I got them more for tip-over protection as high speed crashes are unpredictable in nature and I hope the gear that I wear helps protect me, the bike can be replaced. Ride Safe :banghead

I started witht he plastic head protectrs then got the Touratech bars. Now I need to remove the head protectors. (Duh)

guards1.jpg

guards2.jpg

Gorgeous bike Kenn... those covers are nice for that bike... I'm looking for my black & grey '07GS now and think the plastic covers look nice but, for the price, don't make me feel secure in the event of a drop . My dealer offered Stainless Steel instead but for $250? :eek The bars are more suitable for the GS model but I purposely bought the regular GS for its beautifully, raw, gnarly appearance and spend most of my time on asphalt anyway. They are also mucho $.
I just dropped $800+ for a CeeB's windshield, wings and back support ( a deal I made with my wife when shopping for it for 2up riding :deal )
Does anyone else use SS cylinder covers for the GS? Pictures?

Back