• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Last Ride- Eastern Europe

Fantastic report and photos. Looks like you had a great trip. I imaging you'll miss riding those roads.

Are you coming back to the US and where are you going to land?

Thanks Terrance. I'll miss parts of it, that's for sure but there's lots of good riding in North America. The adventure is the guy on the bike, not the bike. We have a house in Roseville, which is about 20 miles east of Sacramento.

Wow. What a great ride report. :clap Photo's were simply amazing. :bow A dream ride for sure. Thanks for taking us along.
I am so impressed.

thanks

Ted and Womanridge. Thank you for taking the time to comment on my report.

Franze, you definitely have an eye for beauty. Your pictures are fantastic. I especially like the one following the picture depicting the severity of the switchbacks on Passo di Stelvio. I will also be riding an RT when I'm there the second week in July so I'm having second thoughts about that Pass.

Jim Wagner

Thanks for taking us along. Your report is an inspiration. Must try the same thing in this area - 4 mountain ranges in ??? days. Adirondacks, Catskills, Green, Berkshires. Not as tall but still having significant twisties.

Thanks again for raising the bar and inspiring the rest of us. :clap

Franze, you definitely have an eye for beauty. Your pictures are fantastic. I especially like the one following the picture depicting the severity of the switchbacks on Passo di Stelvio. I will also be riding an RT when I'm there the second week in July so I'm having second thoughts about that Pass.

Jim Wagner

I say DEFINITELY do that pass. I always thought it was easier going downhill, than uphill, so if you can choose, go from Switzerland to Italy. The scenery is really spectacular. If you are coming from the Cortina d'Ampezzo area, there are plenty of passes around there to get warmed up on. The Passo di Stelvio is so tight, that NOBODY really goes that fast on it so, as they say, take it easy and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking us along. Your report is an inspiration. Must try the same thing in this area - 4 mountain ranges in ??? days. Adirondacks, Catskills, Green, Berkshires. Not as tall but still having significant twisties.

Thanks again for raising the bar and inspiring the rest of us. :clap

Hi Paul, thanks for the kind words. I actually would prefer the scenery of the mountains in your areas as I prefer "the woods"........ much better smells. Those "above the tree line" routes are sparse, that's why catching that marmot out in the open was a real bonus, they're pretty skittish.

I hope you do this New England mountain ride and post a report...... maybe I'll look for my next mount in that area and do a fly and ride:bolt

thanks again,

Paul Franze

Very nice ride report!! :thumb :thumb
Great photos and story. Being from Europe and having lived in Italy, I spent many vacations in the same area's you rode around in. Thanks for reviving my memories!!
Stelvio is almost the holy grail of riding/driving in the Alps, and I remember my dad driving his Alfa Romeo like a race driver over that pass. Back in the late 60's there was hardly any traffic, guardrails didn't exist and the tarmac was wanting at best..... My mom wasn't too pleased flying around all those passes there but we survived..

Very nice ride report!! :thumb :thumb
Great photos and story. Being from Europe and having lived in Italy, I spent many vacations in the same area's you rode around in. Thanks for reviving my memories!!
Stelvio is almost the holy grail of riding/driving in the Alps, and I remember my dad driving his Alfa Romeo like a race driver over that pass. Back in the late 60's there was hardly any traffic, guardrails didn't exist and the tarmac was wanting at best..... My mom wasn't too pleased flying around all those passes there but we survived..

Oscar,

I can picture it. Dad all suntan wearing some RayBan Wayfarers. . .One hand on the wheel, other hand never leaves the gear shift. Mom with a scarf on her head, big hollywood sunglasses, Both hands holding on to whatever that car has for passengers to hold on to, swearing in "tongues". You in the back, laughing and hoping your Dad keeps going faster. Oh no seatbelts, no head rests........the good ol' days.

thanks for leaving a comment, I appreciate that.

Paul

Thanks for the PM and pointing this thread out to me.

As I mentioned in my PM, you know you've been there waaayyy toooo often if you can recognize the roads in these tour reports. :wave

I must've missed this thread when it was current...WOW GORGEOUS STUFF! So the picture from, was it Slovenia? The one where you were really surprised at the colour of the lake...what lake was that, or what town was there?

I must've missed this thread when it was current...WOW GORGEOUS STUFF! So the picture from, was it Slovenia? The one where you were really surprised at the colour of the lake...what lake was that, or what town was there?

Thats just a few kilometers southeast of Tolmin...right at the town Most na Soci where the 603 and the 102 meet.

Here is a near identical view of it...June 24, 2008 - Most na Soči, Slovenia...

381365769_SphAk-L.jpg

And if you get on Google...GPS: N46?? 09.209' E013?? 44.607'

Last edited:
thanks for the nice reply, Veg. Alex and I have overlapped at more than one scenic vista :thumb

I'm pretty sure my picture is the Soca River, which is right in that same area which is known as the Julian alps. Here's a nice link for you to kill some time at work......... make sure you check out the camping near Kobarid e-postcard

http://www.slovenia.info/?photoalbum=6

I'm pretty sure my picture is the Soca River, which is right in that same area which is known as the Julian alps.

Its the one along the road when coming down the Vrsic Pass from the north.

Same colour and very distracting as you ride along it. Where it is faster flowing, its a lighter aqua with some white caps.

Parallel lives

My wife worked for a big company for 30 years, so I was always following her around. Taking care of our daughter, packing, unpacking etc. Trailing spouse...I hated that. Went to China for 4 years so I had to buy a sidehack rig so my daughter and I could ride in the mountains. A few years ago she introduced me to a workmate who also had a BMW. He invited me to do (2) 10 day trips in the Alps in many of the areas you rode. It's been 6 years since then..too long. Here's me on my rental GS. I call it the Julie Andrews shot.

Attachments

• John, GS, Julie Andrews.JPG
    John, GS, Julie Andrews.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 37
My wife worked for a big company for 30 years, so I was always following her around. Taking care of our daughter, packing, unpacking etc. Trailing spouse...I hated that. Went to China for 4 years so I had to buy a sidehack rig so my daughter and I could ride in the mountains. A few years ago she introduced me to a workmate who also had a BMW. He invited me to do (2) 10 day trips in the Alps in many of the areas you rode. It's been 6 years since then..too long. Here's me on my rental GS. I call it the Julie Andrews shot.

Hey thanks, now I have someone who really knows how I feel :violin . My kids are 14,13, and 7. I"ve been at about 95% unpacked for 5 months. And I thought unpacking boxes labeled in French was bad........Chinese :scratch ????Just got word that they want the trampoline set back up. But more important, I'm getting new rubber on the GS tomorrow and am desperately pulling in favors for Sport Taxi and Music lesson Chauffeur so I can get away for a few days. By the way, that's a great shot!

Back