• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fuel efficiency, cost of fuel, etc

ultracyclist

There are many motorcycle models that are available in non US markets that are fuel efficient, fun, and powerful (relatively speaking). Examples are Ducati Monster 400 in Japan, the Suz Bandit 600 and the Honda Transalp 600.

I suppose one could call these bikes "commuters" or "fun on a shoestring budget".

Now that it looks like the price of fuel will remain higher than what we are used to, do you think the bike manufacturers will produce updated models of bikes that left the market years ago because they were lower HP?

Inquiring minds want to know!

By the way, regular gas here in Milwaukee, WI (US) is about $4.06/gal and premium fuel is about $4.26/gal. I know that in some European countries the price has gone to about $15.00/gallon! YIKES!

Rather than reintroducing smaller motorcycles, I think they may bring over the larger scooters in the 600cc range. The folks who will buy a bike for the economy alone would probably better fit a scooter because they are easier to ride, have better weather protection and more storage than a small motorcycle.

....do you think the bike manufacturers will produce updated models of bikes that left the market years ago because they were lower HP?

I don't know. I guess it may depend upon at what point (i.e., price per gallon) something that gets 43 mpg becomes a "Gas hog". There's a few examples of smaller bikes out there today that would fit the description, like the ones you mentioned, the Buell Blast, Honda Rebel, etc. I don't know how they do as far as MPG.

Maybe someday soon we'll be chastised for riding our gas-guzzeling oilheads :dunno Maybe we've gotten too spoiled and should go back to the days where guys like Peter Egan got on a Honda CB 175 and rode to Canada. Maybe it would even be fun.

I think a variation of the GS for strictly utilitarian use would be an excellent model for introduction of a "utility" class of motorcycle. Wouldn't it be possible to transfer the R12 or K12 technology to, say, a 500-cc bike, under 350 pounds, and 40 - 50 hp for hauling groceries or making parts runs around town?

How much of the "value" in your ride is invested in simple "braggin' rights" (160 hp for touring the highways at nominal 65 mph)?

I'm pretty sure the g-forces generated by most liter+ bikes constitutes a substantial majority of their attraction for most of us, but if you've ever pedaled a 2-1/2 pound racing bicycle you know those forces are completely relative.

Besides being pure rolling art - my R90 gets 50+ mpg, but i don't feel comfortable carrying a hay bale on the back. But I'm having to reconsider many of the trips to gardening centers, etc. in my F250 on the basis of 15 mpg.

Remember the HD-based servi-cars? (also not to cool on the 70 mph freeway).

My 3 pfennigs.

I have 2 bikes. 2001 F650GS, and 1990 R100GSPD.
The 650 gets about 17mpg better than the 100, so when it gets too expensive, the 100 will gather dust more than the 650.:D

I wonder if it would cause that BMW city scooter to be resurrected. What was it, the C1? I always heard it was impossible to tell a bad idea from an idea that is ahead of it's time..

I couldn't be happier with my F800ST. Oilhead level of performance with 70mpg (Imperial gallons). Best of both worlds.

Are you sure about your MPG?
That is better than the F650's. F650 owners are telling me that they average about 65MPG.

4.0l/100km = 70mpg (Imperial gallons). I've squeaked out 400km from a tank with the computer showing 20km to empty.

So, according to Google, 4 l/100km = 58.8036458 miles per gallon (US). That's about what my single spark F650GS gets (twin sparks reportedly get better)...... Very impressive for an 800 Twin.

Back