• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EWS! = Even Worse Service!

K

krmdallas

Today was Tuesday June 3rd. (Some Background) I live in a medium sized town about 90 miles east of Houston, called Beaumont Texas. IÔÇÖd just moved here from Dallas in December 2007 because my other half got the great opportunity to be a main anchor with NBC. IÔÇÖve taken several cross-country trips on my Honda 1000rr with my riding buddy and his more touring BMW. In two years of owning the Honda CBR I logged over 26k mikes. But the itch had got me, and I wanted a new bike. Something more fitting of touring than the race track. But I still wanted sporty.

My buddy pretty much sold me on BMW. My only question was where to buy it. Dallas BMW has a bad rep by word of mouth, but I gave them a shot. I visited twice, and no one even said as much as a hello. The three friends I have that own BMW all go to Fort Worth BMW, and even on my Honda, I was treated very well there. But I knew I was moving to Beaumont. So I gave Gulf Coast BMW a shot. Again, pretty much no interaction, from sales staff, though Gregg in Parts was Awesome. When it came to it, Byron won customer courtesy and service hands down. I paid cash for my 08 k1200s in Ft Worth.

Fast-forward to today, Tuesday June 3rd. I see a Doctor in Houston rather than Beaumont. I went today for a check up and road the bike the balmy 90 miles this morning. Great ride, no complaint day, until I left the DoctorÔÇÖs office. The bike would not start, and only flashed ÔÇ£EWS!ÔÇØ Yikes! My other half was not reachable due to all the news events happening today, and planning their line up. I called my buddy, asked for advice since he is always the calm and collective one in these situations. My next call was Gulf Coast BMW. Service claimed it was happening to lots of bikes, but they did not have the replacement part, that they would need to order it. The also suggested I call BMW roadside assistance to get the bike to them. Ok Fine.

I called BMW Roadside Assistance, gave them all the information they asked for. This is where most of my frustration began. They have my name and number address all that stuff, but did not know what bike I had They should know that or have it in their system. Then the details of where I was stranded. I pushed the bike out of the parking garage to make it easier for the tow truck, and waited curbside.

The tow truck arrived that BMW sent in about 50 min. The guy obviously has not hauled any bikes before. He only had car straps! He claims to have hauled a Harley or two, by now I was worried about the safety of my bike on his truck. I ended up showing him how to tie it down. Luckily I had an old shirt rag in my bag, I used it to protect the bike from his straps. Now we are loaded and off, he asked where are we going? WTF! I told BMW where to take it, and that there was only one BMW dealer in Houston. I had to show him how to get there as well. At this point the only information I can confirm BMW gave him was my cell Number. I had to tell him where I was, How to load and transport the bike, and where we were going.

When we arrived at Gulf Coast BMW. There were two sales people out front speaking with a customer. I hopped out of the truck, and the driver started getting the bike UN tied. The Staff people disappeared and it was the customer who came over and offered help in unloading my bike! After the bike was off the truck, and the driver gone, I walked inside to make my way to service. Not a single hello, let us know if we can help. In Service they were pretty cool, did a good job of explaining what was going to be done and how long it would take. But of no assistance to the problem I was 90 miles from home with out transportation. I went back into the main showroom, to call BMW Assistance again to see about rental bike or what have you. I was passed along to three numbers and then put on hold indefinitely. Still, not a single person made contact with me. Finally Id had it with calling assistance numbers and being treated like an invisible person. I stopped one person, and asked. Is there a bus, shuttle taxi I can get from here to the airport? He seemed a little stunned, and finally asked what the issue was. I said I need to rent a bike, loaner bike, or rental car, as I live 90 miles from here, and the bike is not ready for several days. Then the key question, Did I buy the bike from them?

What does that matter I thought to myself? But I told the truth, as they could easily find that out themselves. 30 min later I was dumped off at the airport. Thrifty said they were not taking any walk ups unless I wanted to rent a 12 passenger van. So then I went to Avis. Explained to Claudia my being stranded here and needed a one-way rental. She got me a little compact, though her coworker protested with the same thing Thrifty did. All cars are reserved except 12 passenger vans. Claudia looked at me and said so rules can be bent. She was the angel of my day. The only one who seemed to care and or show any effort in taking care of a customer? I paid it myself, and Im sure Ill have to go through some 6-month claim submission to get reimbursed. And then there will be what was covered under warranty and what is not.

My main points. BMW Roadside assistance seems only to be able to give out your cell number to a third party and nothing more. BMW Dealers canÔÇÖt see you unless you have a checkbook in hand and looking at a new bike. (Except Byron in Fort Worth.) I understand machines are that, and they may break. Why is it that fellow riders treat each other with more respect, and offer more help than the person or persons who profit from the sale, maintenance, upgrades, and gear ever do? Honda treated me 10x better for a bike that was 1/2 the price.

Now I sit and wait to find out when the bike will be ready, and make the trip back.

Today was Tuesday June 3rd. (Some Background) I live in a medium sized town about 90 miles east of Houston, called Beaumont Texas. IÔÇÖd just moved here from Dallas in December 2007 because my other half got the great opportunity to be a main anchor with NBC. IÔÇÖve taken several cross-country trips on my Honda 1000rr with my riding buddy and his more touring BMW. In two years of owning the Honda CBR I logged over 26k mikes. But the itch had got me, and I wanted a new bike. Something more fitting of touring than the race track. But I still wanted sporty.

My buddy pretty much sold me on BMW. My only question was where to buy it. Dallas BMW has a bad rep by word of mouth, but I gave them a shot. I visited twice, and no one even said as much as a hello. The three friends I have that own BMW all go to Fort Worth BMW, and even on my Honda, I was treated very well there. But I knew I was moving to Beaumont. So I gave Gulf Coast BMW a shot. Again, pretty much no interaction, from sales staff, though Gregg in Parts was Awesome. When it came to it, Byron won customer courtesy and service hands down. I paid cash for my 08 k1200s in Ft Worth.

Fast-forward to today, Tuesday June 3rd. I see a Doctor in Houston rather than Beaumont. I went today for a check up and road the bike the balmy 90 miles this morning. Great ride, no complaint day, until I left the DoctorÔÇÖs office. The bike would not start, and only flashed ÔÇ£EWS!ÔÇØ Yikes! My other half was not reachable due to all the news events happening today, and planning their line up. I called my buddy, asked for advice since he is always the calm and collective one in these situations. My next call was Gulf Coast BMW. Service claimed it was happening to lots of bikes, but they did not have the replacement part, that they would need to order it. The also suggested I call BMW roadside assistance to get the bike to them. Ok Fine.

I called BMW Roadside Assistance, gave them all the information they asked for. This is where most of my frustration began. They have my name and number address all that stuff, but did not know what bike I had They should know that or have it in their system. Then the details of where I was stranded. I pushed the bike out of the parking garage to make it easier for the tow truck, and waited curbside.

The tow truck arrived that BMW sent in about 50 min. The guy obviously has not hauled any bikes before. He only had car straps! He claims to have hauled a Harley or two, by now I was worried about the safety of my bike on his truck. I ended up showing him how to tie it down. Luckily I had an old shirt rag in my bag, I used it to protect the bike from his straps. Now we are loaded and off, he asked where are we going? WTF! I told BMW where to take it, and that there was only one BMW dealer in Houston. I had to show him how to get there as well. At this point the only information I can confirm BMW gave him was my cell Number. I had to tell him where I was, How to load and transport the bike, and where we were going.

When we arrived at Gulf Coast BMW. There were two sales people out front speaking with a customer. I hopped out of the truck, and the driver started getting the bike UN tied. The Staff people disappeared and it was the customer who came over and offered help in unloading my bike! After the bike was off the truck, and the driver gone, I walked inside to make my way to service. Not a single hello, let us know if we can help. In Service they were pretty cool, did a good job of explaining what was going to be done and how long it would take. But of no assistance to the problem I was 90 miles from home with out transportation. I went back into the main showroom, to call BMW Assistance again to see about rental bike or what have you. I was passed along to three numbers and then put on hold indefinitely. Still, not a single person made contact with me. Finally Id had it with calling assistance numbers and being treated like an invisible person. I stopped one person, and asked. Is there a bus, shuttle taxi I can get from here to the airport? He seemed a little stunned, and finally asked what the issue was. I said I need to rent a bike, loaner bike, or rental car, as I live 90 miles from here, and the bike is not ready for several days. Then the key question, Did I buy the bike from them?

What does that matter I thought to myself? But I told the truth, as they could easily find that out themselves. 30 min later I was dumped off at the airport. Thrifty said they were not taking any walk ups unless I wanted to rent a 12 passenger van. So then I went to Avis. Explained to Claudia my being stranded here and needed a one-way rental. She got me a little compact, though her coworker protested with the same thing Thrifty did. All cars are reserved except 12 passenger vans. Claudia looked at me and said so rules can be bent. She was the angel of my day. The only one who seemed to care and or show any effort in taking care of a customer? I paid it myself, and Im sure Ill have to go through some 6-month claim submission to get reimbursed. And then there will be what was covered under warranty and what is not.

My main points. BMW Roadside assistance seems only to be able to give out your cell number to a third party and nothing more. BMW Dealers canÔÇÖt see you unless you have a checkbook in hand and looking at a new bike. (Except Byron in Fort Worth.) I understand machines are that, and they may break. Why is it that fellow riders treat each other with more respect, and offer more help than the person or persons who profit from the sale, maintenance, upgrades, and gear ever do? Honda treated me 10x better for a bike that was 1/2 the price.

Now I sit and wait to find out when the bike will be ready, and make the trip back.

Yikes! Looks like you had a day from hell. Sorry to hear that it turned out how it did. All I can say is that this doesn't say much for BMW customer service. Hope it turns out better in the end.

I don't understand dealers not stocking parts that they know are failing on a regular basis. :dunno

BMW Roadside Assistance not all bad!

As I noted in another post, I, too, experienced an EWS failure this morning (the second on this bike). The first time it happened a couple of months ago I was able to eventually re-start the machine and ride it to my dealer (Bob's BMW, Jessup, Maryland). My buds at Bob's installed a new ring antenna while I waited and I was back on the road in a couple of hours. (That's typical of Bob's great service crew)

Today, the bike would not re-start so I contacted BMW Roadside Assistance. The operator was very pleasant and dispatched a third-party tow truck within minutes. In less than an hour -- and after three followup calls from BMW to keep me abreast of the tow truck driver's progress toward me -- my bike, very carefully and expertly secured, was on its way to Bob's for repair. I must applaud BMW Roadside Assistance for its great service and follow-through.

I'm sorry our friend in Houston had such crappy experience. The problem down there is the infernal heat and humidity. It make service providers very cranky! (I know, I used to live there).

Good story,hope the owner of this dealer see's the missing profits..or the money he's :stick not going to get..

Last edited:
Regional differences

Welcome to the EWS fraternity. The only membership requirement is a relatively new BMW bike with low mileage. Join now as space is filling up fast.:stick

Seriously, very sorry to hear about your torturous day. I can relate first hand after experiencing two antenna ring failures in 6 months. The first call to BMW Roadside Assistance was much like yours only my tow truck operator took about 2 hours to arrive. The second failure and call to BMW resulted in a tow truck arriving in less than 30 minutes with a professional and experienced driver. The first location was in South Florida and the second location was at Daytona Beach. So, perhaps the quality of BMW Roadside Assistance in region specific?

Lastly, let me echo the comment from an earlier post. With all of the antenna ring failures these days, how could any dealer have no replacement rings in stock.:scratch
I would be very skeptical about other aspects of this dealer.

krmdallas,

I am truly sorry for your trouble.. In the BMW world there are great dealers that understand customers and their needs and then there are dealers like the one you experienced in Dallas.. I have had a similar experience with a dealer here in Manhattan that hasn't a clue either.. On the other hand I have had great experiences with others that just get it. That's the way of the world.. Hopefully you'll find the dealer that you can gel with and live happily after ever.

On another topic since no one else has said it : Welcome to the Forum! I find this to be the most valuable asset in the BMW Motorcycle family..

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome. And Yep I do love the "Owner's of BMW bikes," they have been great.... and sites like this are a very valuable resource. Generally I'm a easy going happy guy. I think i was just in a really bad mood yesterday and no one willing to help. I do love the bike! and cant wait to log real miles on it this summer. Planning on going up through the Rocky mountains 1st of July, and then First of August, its Texas > NYC > Niagra >Montreal > Toronto and back down.

I have had the best luck with dealers who sell BMW bikes only. The ones that sell other brands of bikes have all been poor for me. And the ones that sell BMW cars have been the worst, by far, for me.

Last edited:
"...the ones that sell BMW cars are the worst, by far."

There is at least one exception to this rule. Hammersley Motors in Lynchburg, Virginia sells both Beemers and Bimmers and offers exceptional service. As an example, my wife once got stranded with a flat tire on her F650CS about 40 miles away from Hammersley on a Saturday afternoon. We called the dealership to see if a replacement tire was available. None was in stock there, so the the shop's service manager sent a tech to a Honda shop nearby to obtain the correct rubber. He also offered to drive to the breakdown scene in his personal pickup truck and transport the crippled machine back to Lynchburg free of charge. We were able to plug the tire sufficiently to make it over the mountains, so we declined his kind offer, but, besides obtaining the tire from a colleague, he stayed after hours to fix my wife's bike. This was all done with the utmost courtesy and no emergency service or overtime charges.

Now THAT"S service!!

Good customer service requires effort. What a pity it is when that effort is not made. I have been in customer service for many years. and it occurred to me long ago that a customer with a problem was an opportunity. Make him or her happy, and you have a loyal customer for life. Treat them like their invisible, and you will never see them again.

Lastly, let me echo the comment from an earlier post. With all of the antenna ring failures these days, how could any dealer have no replacement rings in stock.:scratch
I would be very skeptical about other aspects of this dealer.

Maybe they ran out of stock with all of the failures these days...

BTW, some of us are wondering what year, model, mileage, and part number of ring antenna broke. We need to know how much to worry...heh.

Why is it that fellow riders treat each other with more respect, and offer more help than the person or persons who profit from the sale, maintenance, upgrades, and gear ever do?

:dunno

This brings up a question that I'm surprised nobody has asked yet: Did you have your MOA Anonynous Book with you? If so, you might have been able to get assistance from that great resource. Just a thought.

Sorry to hear about your EWS woes. Kinda makes me think twice about buying a new BMW. Undoubtedly, there are many EWS-equipped bikes out there that have never had this problem and probably never will. But still... Who needs that sort of single-point-of-failure crap anyway?

-MTS

I have three faulty antenna ring assemblies in hand (including one of my own), they are all part #6135 7714207-01 and were all manufactured in September, 2007. They were retrieved from my dealer, who's replaced at least four in two days.

I took one apart and found cold solder joints between the transmitter circuit board and the assembly's four-pin connector. Since batches of these things are failing at fairly predictable service times, however, it seems unlikely that bad soldering is the cause of the trouble. Still -- QC should have been better.

BTW, some of us are wondering what year, model, mileage, and part number of ring antenna broke. We need to know how much to worry...heh.

I have a 2008 K1200s with 2000 mikes on it... so it happened VERY fast in my opinion. :) And I did not have my "owners Anonymous book on me... but i will now.

As an Update, I Called to get an ETA on the parts and when the bike might be ready. He said it was ready whenever i wanted to come and get it. Again, odd, I asked them to call so i could make plans to travel back to Houston. Anyway, water under the bridge, I'm back on two wheels and the world is starting to feel right again. Though I must say, there is a bit of anxiety every time i turn the key and wait for the "check" icon to clear.

Apparently there are a LOT of the antenna's in BMW's pipeline in the US right now (I've been told > 900) I ordered one from Max BMW (latest part #) - $36.67 on 06/04 - it arrived today. 5 days from order to delivery, and Max's parts message said it had to come from BMW first. I'm guessing BMW is overnighting any of them that dealers order... only way it could have made it from NJ to NH and back to NJ in 5 days.

I'll carry it with me to invoke Eilenberger's Law#2 of Spare Parts: http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm - I'm heading on a trip with 3 other hexhead/EWS equipped bikes later in the month. I feel just carrying it will ward off the EWS demon. :whistle

BTW - it's lots easier to carry with me than the HES for K bikes (and/or driveshaft) or the rotor for airheads was. The oilhead wasn't too bad, except carrying around that rear-drive took up a lot of space in the one side bag.. :whistle :whistle :whistle

Back