• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Feed back on Nolan N102

DJERROLDS

Any one use one? Quiet? Cool? Any one got a large black for sale? I need to replace mine in the near future

Nolan N102

I would say of average quality (polycarbonate shell), has nice features:
Good interior fit and finish - also the shell is the same size for S, M and L, just the padding changes, which allows for customisation,
One handed flip up,
Integrated headset options,
Nice vents that can be operated with a gloved hand, provide good air flow,
Outer shaded visor (I dont like the optical quality),
I find it noisy, despite trying to add extra sound absorption material. I use earplugs.
Its a bit heavy, but comfortable on a long day's ride. I use the audio feature almost full time for music, hands free phone and GPS voice.
:p

Noisy
May take multiple tries to close face
Sun shield: poor optical quality and too small
Fog shield: worthless and attachment devices even worse than worthless
Chin strap is great

All-in-all, same quality as my HJC helmets but not worth the extra money.

So HJC is just as good or better... I don't think I would like the flip down sun shield on any of them..is yours OK

I have 1000 miles or so in a Nolan 102E.

Helmet ventilates pretty good. KBC flip helmet ventilates better.

I don't think the helmet is too noisy. I usually wear earplugs, but have ridden 8 hours with ear buds and my MP3 player with the volume not much higher than normal. The KBC is much noiser.

The helmet has good balance. It is heavier than most, but rides good. My neck is fused and very sensitive to helmet weight, and mostly balance.

I can work the opening latch with gloves.

I like the flip down sun shield.

The helmet is quieter with the face shield up and stays up under freeway speed on a K100LT. The HJC flip helmet's shield seems to me to be very flimsy and loose.

If you have a large, or jutting chin, you will hate this helmet, if you can even wear it. The chin bar is VERY VERY close. Fits a round head. I wear a Large HJC and a Large Nolan.

The cut outs for your ears are very small. I don't like my ears pressed down. I have been told my ears look like a car coming down the road with the doors open.

No D ring to secure to a helmet lock.

All in all I like the helmet. I paid $219 delivered for a Titanium one. I would not pay $350 for it.

Would I buy it again? I'm not sure. I definitely would over a HJC or KBC. I believe I would look at the AVG Migilia, Zeus 508 or a few others in the $200 and under range.

My opinion. Take it and $1.50 and buy a cup of coffee.

Ralph Sims

I have had two and I really like mine. It's relatively quiet, but I always were ear plugs anyway--too much hearing loss already! It's light enough, one handed flip-up is an improvement over earlier models. Fit is good. The chin strap is great. Priced right-got mine new on ebay for ~$175.00. I would buy another one.

Mine fits like a glove. I don't worry about noise because I wear ear plugs. It seems lighter then my old, retired HJC. I haven't had any issues with the flip up face. Everything seems to work well for me. :p

Nolan

Had Symax now use Nolan. Quieter, more comfortable, better made, shield doesn't let water run down inside it even if fully closed like the HJC, higher quality hinges, surer locking, better finish. I like the small sunshield. I can look down and still see all the guages.
I like it. Shop around you cna get one for $240 or so on line.

I've had several Nolan helmets and like the N102 best of all. The fit is good for me, and I know the build quality is excellent based on many miles of use. The external sun visor is not as slick as an internal design, but it works better than expected and I've found the optical quality of it and the clear face shied to be first rate. Where I live I ride in cold (frozen breath) conditions for about four months of the year and the anti-fog interior shield works very well. The single lift chin-bar latch works better than the earlier twin-latch design of the N100's.

I've also looked at a lot of other flip-face helmet on the market. You don't want a flip-face helmet with plastic latches. The last HJC I looked at had plastic latches, as did virtually all the other "low cost" alternatives. Nolan's have metal latches on both the chin-bar and the helmet itself. There are a number of very nice flip-face helmets that are more money than the N102, but I've found none that seemed any better built, and the Nolan fits me best.

I'd suggest following the brand that fits you best.

Back