• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendations for weather cover??

redsky49

I'm looking for a small weatherproof travel cover for a R1150RS, primarily for security but also for protection from rain and UV. Has anyone found anything worthwhile that will fold to a small form factor, especially while having the ability to enclose the hard luggage?

Geza Gear

I use a Geza Gear cover for my RT. I never can get it to roll up tight enough to fit back into the carry pouch that it was shipped in, but the cover itself works pretty well. It is heavier than I thought it was going to be when I bought it, and it seems to have lost most of its water repellency fairly quickly, but I am going to treat it with Nixwax soon. I use it mostly for covering the bike at the offce when commuting.

When I travel I use the full size BMW cover as I feel it offers a little better security coveage, but I have to wait a little while for the bike to cool. The Geza Gear cover I can put right on the bike as soon as it is parked. The BMW cover does not weigh much more at all, and can stow just about as tightly as the Geza Gear cover. Just my 2 cents.

Wolf covers from Wally World or Cabelas are short money and pack small enough for easy carrying on the road. Get the XL size ($35-40) if you have luggage and top box. Otherwise, large size works. I've been using two of them for different bikes for a few years. They hold up very well. No issues at all.

Nelson-Riggs

Not long ago I bought a silvery Nelson Riggs half cover for my RT on trips..I really don't like direct sun on my bikes for long periods...small & packs nice!!!:clap

EZ touring

I've been using the EZ touring cover ever since I bought it at the Madison, IN rally 20 years ago, on my third bike with it, 1986 R80, 1992 R100RT, 2005 R1150R, it fit all three, and haven't worn it out yet. Highly recommend it.
Bob

Ditto on EZ touring covers. Covers my GS, with a Ubag and Jesse Bags. I actually slept under it, on the bike, in a Wal-mart parking lot, with the other RVs...

I've had the Wal-Mart specials and they are only good in the garage because they are not waterproof. They are also bulky to carry with you on trips.

I highly recommend the Nelson Riggs UV-2000. It's $30, compact, and water-proof which is what you asked for in your original post. The only thing it does not provide is security. But I don't believe any cover will do that effectively.

Good luck.

Dale

Nelson Rigg UV cover, XL fits my Rt with bags and top box perfectly. In fact it is on my bike in the work parking lot right now. It is quick to put on, packs small, and weighs next to nothing, the price is also right.

DOWCO covers offer great value & selection

I am impressed with the value and selection of Dowco covers. I have a R1100 RT and commute and cover each day. The other brands didn't last one riding season because of UV damage and weather damage. I am on my third season with a Dowco Guardian Weatherall and don't think you will find a smaller pack than the Guardian Traveler. I will only buy DOWCO, if I ever need to replace a cover. The Weatherall comes with a guarantee.
http://www.dowco-inc.com/Seg_Power.asp?seg=2

Want it cheap?

I bought a 36" barbque cover from WallyWorld for $15, with a guarantee! Waterproof, fits my K100RS with an extended Aeroflow windsheild amazingly well, although not "tailored". it will pack up reasonalbly small, maybe not small enough for taking on tours. Best part about it? Keep the reciept, and when it tears or crumbles, Wallyworld gives a refund no questions asked!

Back