Thread: Dunlop Roadsmart issues?

Old enough to know better

Dunlop Roadsmart issues?

I know this is a dumb question..

I recently had Dunlop Roadsmarts put on my 2005 R12RT. Fabulous tires - made it feel like a new bike. HOWEVER, under 400 miles I had picked up a wood screw in the back tire. Hmm. Bad luck. Install new (expensive) tire. Now I've put 3000 miles on the new tire and, crap, a finishing nail head-first through the back tire.

I commute about 150 miles a day and in two years on the KLR I have never, ever, picked anything up in the back tire (Gripsters and Tourances). On these same roads I've had two flats in the last month with the Dunlops.

Are these things prone to picking up trash on the road? Are they more puncture-prone and less-durable than tube tires? Or am I just an unlucky (and broke) guy...?

Thanks

TC

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I think it's more likely you've got untidy carpenters in pickup trucks driving on those roads and dropping hardware.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014 And DRAT! Missed the last one in 2015!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

gulfcoastbeemer
    You can do what I did -- purchase expensive, special road hazard insurance for your bike.

Magically, you will not experience tire problems.

My wife does NOT has this expensive road hazard insurance for her bike.

Guess who get all the flats -- and lots of them?

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I think it's more likely you've got untidy carpenters in pickup trucks driving on those roads and dropping hardware.
    On my commute in this AM - stopped at the usual spot at the last traffic light before work. As I was stopping I spotted something sparkly on the pavement and through sheer willpower willed my front tire to NOT go where I was looking.

When I got stopped - I could clearly see a nice new shiny roofing nail - about 2" long, ridged shank.

It's now in the storm sewer (I know.. prolly some fish is gonna eat it and come down with something and I'll be solely to blame..) The woman behind me must have wondered when I hopped off the bike, trotted around to the other side, bent down - picked something up - and tossed it.. then back around and on the bike. Managed to do it before the light changed.

I know if I didn't do that - it would be in one of my tires tomorrow..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I know if I didn't do that - it would be in one of my tires tomorrow..
    No . . . not "one of" . . . it would be in your BACK (more expensive) tire tomorrow!
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

Okay TC, since no one else has actually addressed your questions about your tires I will be the responsible one here. The answer is that you have obviously offended the tire gods. Think carefully, what did you do to make them angry? Something is lurking in the back of your mind, weighing heavily on you as you lift your side stand and causing lower GI distress as you wait for your onboard computer to run through the pre-ignition checks. What is it? Make it right and you will again be puncture proof.
    ---KLH
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

About a year ago I bought two rear Mich PRs in one week...ouch!
    '06 R12RT (new in 2-06) 102K
    100K Club! (146K & counting!!) <--got my diploma!

Old enough to know better
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    Okay TC, since no one else has actually addressed your questions about your tires I will be the responsible one here. The answer is that you have obviously offended the tire gods. Think carefully, what did you do to make them angry? Something is lurking in the back of your mind, weighing heavily on you as you lift your side stand and causing lower GI distress as you wait for your onboard computer to run through the pre-ignition checks. What is it? Make it right and you will again be puncture proof.
    ---KLH
    Shamefully, I know you're right. When having the first Roadsmart installed the mechanic told me about another guy in town who just had a new set of Pilot Roads installed. On his first trip to east Tennessee the guy picked up a nail in his brand new tire and had to replace it.

Inside, subconsciously, I laughed.

I am now paying the price, nay - double the price - for my arrogance.

I had my hair cut last night. Tonight I will prostrate myself at the rear tire (I have to anyway to check the air pressure and see if the plug is holding) and ask forgiveness. Tomorrow I will make sacrifice of hard-earned cash for the third back tire. If that doesn't appease the higher-tire-powers then I am destined to forever try to hot-patch holey (not holy) tires. Or start riding my KLR again.

Think positive, think positive...

TC