• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear Master Cylinder Help

C

czucker

So I was changing the rear brake line on 1990 K75 and I ended up stripping the threads on the master cylinder.

I was going to try to use one of those Heli Coil kits, but I'm not certain of the thread size.

Anyone know what thread size the brake lines are off hand? Or does anyone have any experience with these thread repair things?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Z.

So I was changing the rear brake line on 1990 K75 and I ended up stripping the threads on the master cylinder.

I was going to try to use one of those Heli Coil kits, but I'm not certain of the thread size.

Anyone know what thread size the brake lines are off hand? Or does anyone have any experience with these thread repair things?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris Z.
I found a good used rear MC on eBay recently and paid less for it than the price of a Heli-Coil set. Besides, do you really want a part that important Heli-Colied? Just my $0.02.

I would not trust a Heli Coil to be leak-free. If you must do a repair, consider a Time Sert with Loctite as a sealant.

Thanks. The Time serts look much, much better than the Heli Coils.

However, I buckled and found a used cylinder for a decent price. The idea of having a band aid on my breaks wasn't ultimately satisfying.

Thanks guys.

However, I buckled and found a used cylinder for a decent price. The idea of having a band aid on my breaks wasn't ultimately satisfying.

Thanks guys.

Order a rebuild kit before installing. 18 year old seals and brake lines are not what you want to be relying on to stop with.

Typically you would install the line on the master cylinder before installing on the bracket, then install the swivel fitting on the caliper, right?.

That sounds right. I think that when I stripped the threads I must have been screwing the line in at a slight angle. I will be much more careful this time.

As for the rebuild, the seals look absolutely perfect. I can't say whether the cylinder was rebuilt before I purchased the bike (about 5 years ago now), but everything looks really clean and good. New lines are also going on as soon as I receive the cylinder.

While we're talking about break lines and such, does anyone know if I can just walk into a hardware store and pick up those brass washers for the line? I'm short on washers for my new front lines.

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks guys.

Yeah, a good used one is the way to go, but I would not characterize Timeserts as a band aid. Such engine companies as Allison, GE, Pratt and Whitney and Buccialli have used similar Rosan inserts and Timeserts in their aluminum cases since long long ago. I have done a number of Timesert repairs that lasted thousands of flight hours with no problems.

That sounds right. I think that when I stripped the threads I must have been screwing the line in at a slight angle. I will be much more careful this time.

While we're talking about break lines and such, does anyone know if I can just walk into a hardware store and pick up those brass washers for the line? I'm short on washers for my new front lines.

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, if you are talking of the banjo bolt washers. I have at Advance Auto Parts.

Ralph Sims

Back