• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bug Catching New Rider

I've just purchased my first BMW a 85 K100RT. I really love the ride but the previous owner "sporterized" the windshield so it's practically useless. My helmet is like a huge bug collector. I've been searching for options but am have trouble finding a replacement windshield. What works and where do I get it , O great wizards of experience? Do I really have to spend $250?

Item two is the speedometer is dead and so is the automatic turn signal cancel. Should I just buy a new cable and try that first? Is there a way to test if an electrical signal is comming from the rear pickup assembly?

I've ordered the Haynes and Chilton manuals for help but think this is a far better source of collective knowlege.

Thanks
JF

PS, I can't wait for my first ralley

85 K100RT

JF,

- Item one: Parabellum

- Item two: Read those manuals before buying a cable.

Enjoy the "hot one" - I loved mine!

Don

Dead speedo? Common on K bikes.

You probably don't need a cable, you need to do some work on the cluster itself.

Go about halfway down this page. There's tons of good info. Don Eilenberger had a bike just like yours and knows those things inside and out.

Speedo

Before takng anything apart, I found on my 86 K100RT I can "Cure" an intermittant Speedo by "Wiggling" wires in two places: First look under the right hand side cover and find the connector that comes from the pick up on the rear drive unit. I finally got smart enough to put a wrap of electrical tape around it.

The second place is the connector to the "Brain box" It tends to need to be pushed back into place occasionally. Then the Speedo works agin. Worst case here is, if it gets too loose, the bike won't start. I haven't figured out an easy way to anchor it in place. The wire clip has worn to the point of uselessness.

Do look at some of the other posts on this subject. I'm not expert on the "K". I have only owned this one since August.

Jim

Speedo

#1 buy a manual - the previous comment has to do with the fact there is no "cable" - and do not look for it on the front wheel

#2 the sensor for the speedo is on the top the the final drive by the rear wheel - they get dirty and then the speedo doesnt work

start there

additional clarity

more info - I re read my post and left out the "what to do" part:

clean the sensor off

Back