• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oxygen vs Nitrogen

motofranz

What are the advantages of Nitrogen vs Oxygen in your tires?
Has anyone tryed Nitrogen ?
I heard it's not worth the price
(about 5 dollars per tire) ,but if you can get Nitrogen free of charge ..take it.

:dunno :confused:

I don't have a handy supply of Nitrogen laying around when I check my tire pressure, and it would be a pain to locate a source when touring.

I will just have to suffer with good old air, it has Nitrogen in it. If my memory serves me correctly, it is around 75 percent anyway. It just aint worth the trouble and the cost to up the percentage that much.

Nitrogen isn't suppose to increase in pressure when heated or vise versa like air.

Tire shops could use an air separator to get the moisture out of the air before it is installed in a tire. Then severe ambient temperature changes along with road temperature wouldn't require hot pressure checks to increase tire life and traction. If, however; the tire pressure kept in the tire is in excess of the motorcycle and tire manufacturers guidelines rendering the tire harder than hammered hell, nitrogen would have no economic or handling benefit.

JON
1150GS a/k/a The Impatient Virgin

First time you have to add air to your tires, you $5 are gone.

Regular air is 78% Nitrogen, by the way.

i think if you spend a little time noodling boyle's law and your knowledge of partial pressures from second grade physics, youll find out why they only charge $5. if they charged more, youd hunt em down for a refund when you found out how useful it really was. :)

While we are on the subject (air) ...

I decided this season to go with a synthetic summer air in my tires.

I don't know how it will impact thread life, but the idea of less inertial drag inside the tire and rim leads me to think it will positively impact fuel consumption.

IMHO, we should take advantage of any opportunity to conserve on the use of this overpriced fuel we are pumping lately ...

:brow

AIR (compressed AIR )

Not OxYgeN ....Air !
Im going to fill my tires with helium and coast a lot .

I think Tire Discounters is starting this nitrogen thing as a sales gimmick. :dunno

Personally

My tyres are filled with gel. The first time I misunderstood and put raspberry jelly in - what a delicious mess. Scooped all that out and went with the gel - it ran about $850 per tyre, but what the hell....
ps - hey Lorazepam - is that real German or Sears German you are posting?

German Air

Wouldn't imported air from Germany work better in our BMW tires? I'm sure our friendly BMW shops would import this item if there is sufficient demand.

Re: German Air

Spider said:
Wouldn't imported air from Germany work better in our BMW tires? I'm sure our friendly BMW shops would import this item if there is sufficient demand.

I buy mine direct from the factory, along with my OEM valve stems, thereby cutting out the middle man.

It's also important to change the air on a regular basis, I do it with every oil change. ;)

RM

Scott asked,

"Is it environmentally friendly?"

Why of course it is, provided it remains confined within the tire.

But if escapes that secure environment, who knows?

It might become Jurassic in nature ... sez so right there on the can.

:brow

Re: AIR (compressed AIR )

motofranz said:
I think Tire Discounters is starting this nitrogen thing as a sales gimmick. :dunno

Actually, using nitrogen in tires comes from the aviation industry...

Plain old compressed air contains oxygen and other elements which can promote corrosion on the inside of the aircraft wheels, which could lead to failure of the wheel. Pure nitrogen does not corrode the expensive alloy wheels, thus improving safety and saving money on maintenance.

I don't know if there's any real benefit to using the stuff in motorcycle tires. I think it's probably more important to insure you have the proper inflation pressures in your tires than to worry about what's used to inflate them.

JetDoc
(Licensed aircraft mechanic)

Re: Hey Cliffy

lorazepam said:
Ich benutze Babel Fisch??bersetzer, bin, der oder die reale Sache verwelkt?

LOL But can you translate what you wrote with Bablefish?

It comes out all distorted.

Jim :brow

PS how does this kill the thread?

Back