• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

When does an Airhead become High Mileage

R80RTJohnny

On the road again!
Hello all,

I have an 86 R80RT with 62K. Although I receive many compliments about the bike I always reply that it is still a low mileage bike.

My question is: When do BMW Airheads become "High Mileage".

Wishing you many miles and smiles.

Jean

Considering your bike is 18 years old with that mileage I would agree with you that your bike is low mileage. Other brand riders other that Goldwing types usually marvel at anything north of 35K on the clock. Having said all this I think BMW calls for new rings on airheads every 50K. So if that isn't done you might consider freshening up your top end. My 1979 only has 80K. The beauty of our airheads is that when they do need rings or gearbox work or whatever it is worthwhile to spend the money to do it because you know that the next 10, 20, 30, etc. thousand miles will be a joy.

In my opinion and from my own experience,and from knowing other riders who live here in Chicago and outwest, I'd say the average bike rider (including all brands) that lives in a seasonal climate like Chicago,averages 5000 miles a year, and 7-10,000 miles as an "above average" rider.

Warmer climate states like Florida,Texas or California tend to have longer riding seasons. So, an average rider will probably do 6-9000 miles a year. A bike native to one of these areas would be pretty easy to figure out what kind of use/mileage could be expected.

So,a 10 year old bike in Chicago will probably yield 40-60K miles.
That same rider and bike in a warmer climate would probably be somewhere in the 50-80K range.

On the other hand, older BM's like airheads, weren't considered high mileage until over 100k miles.

With these new "oilheads", people tend to think 40-60K is high mileage due to all the "reliability/maintenance" problems these bikes have been having. V-belts fraying,transmissions and rear end seals leaking,shocks leaking under 25k miles,swing arm bearings,brake pad wear sooner etc....

Hello; I always thought that the threshhold of "high mileage" was at 100,000 miles or 160,000 kms. since the advent of unleaded gas, modern engines can do that easily.

I remember my 67 Triumph TR6 that needed a top end overhaul every 10,000 miles. Getting one of those to 100,000 miles was a real achievement.

Also my 63 Norton Atlas needed a thourough going over with a wrench every two tanks of fuel, or else it would slowly dissappear.

I currently have 73,000 on my 77 R100/7 and expect to see 100,000 miles on it with no serious problems, not this year though.

High Miles Beemers

Great Discussion on "High" Mileage!!!

IMHO I'd say 100K miles on a machine is moderately high, 200K "High" and 200K + miles "Very" high.

I always enjoy the "High Mileage" corral at the large rallies- some are vintage and many are the latest models-testimony to the fact that there are many riding styles within the BMW community!!

People tell me that "Igor" has high mileage (117K) but this is LOW for a 22 year old machine!!

A friend of mine has an '84 RS that is truly pristine, at 200K + miles!!!!

Enjoy......................Shep

What is high mileage on an airhead?

Both of our air heads are 30+ years old and in the 70K range. I'd agree with 100K being an attainable milestone for any airhead that is shown a proper amount of love. I am confident that ours will get there. I've known other riders who have run well over that mark, and Iv'e seen neglected bikes fall to ruin well before the magic number.

Hello,

Thanks to all that replied. I will savour the mileage accumulated much like I would savour a fine wine.

But why do we develop such intense relationships with our Airheads.

Jean

R80RTJohnny said:
Hello,

Jean

Probably because we can't get them new anymore. Now that we can't, I feel stronger about my airheads than before. Just try to take one of them and see how downright nasty I can get.

BTW, I bought a used 1986 R80 G/S PD with 103,000 kms (64K miles) on it and never gave the mileage a second thought. Of course, the price was right and that is always a major factor.

....or any motorcycle.....???....:dunno

but one thing for sure,can't get new one's anymore. :brow

When my 76 S turned over 125,000 had mechanic Stellar go over it thinking that now would be a good time to install the size over pistons I bought from a dealer on sale ten years ago. Turns out all it need was a bore polishing, no lip, and new rings with an intake valve job, had the exhaust vales done at 70,000. I love this bke, See you at the square Route Rally.

Hmmm...my last R80 had 145,000 and I still didn't consider it high milage. I seem to hold that out for the ones who are over 200K.

When I bought the PD two years ago it was a '92 with only 24K miles on the clock:eek But it didn't stay that way for long.

Re: What is high mileage on an airhead?

woodnsteel said:
Both of our air heads are 30+ years old and in the 70K range. I'd agree with 100K being an attainable milestone for any airhead that is shown a proper amount of love. I am confident that ours will get there. I've known other riders who have run well over that mark, and Iv'e seen neglected bikes fall to ruin well before the magic number.

As the owner of a '73 R60/5 and '78 R100/7 I'd have to say that
for me it's a combination of several factors:

The simplicity of the machine, the classic styling, (butt ugly in one sense, yet beautifull when one considers the elegance of the engineering that went into the machine), a connection with the past, specifically My past, having been riding for 39+ years.

The looks I get when I'm out riding, on almost every ride someone comes up and asks about the machine, knows someone who rode one "back then", etc. A great conversation starter.

The reliability of the machine, I have total confidence that it will get me there and back. I Know my machine(s) and they Know me. :bliss

The comraderee of the vintage owners, unique unto themselves;
being different, a black sheep in the crowd of chrome :jester

We (the bikes and me) fit, period. Can't imagine riding anything else, new machines just don't "do" it for me, unless it's a "retro" like the new Bonnie, but even that is just a "copy" not the real thing.
:bliss

As for "high" mileage, well both mine have over 50K, yet I'd say they were both just barely broken in! Ask me again in another 100K!

RM waxing profetic cause waxing the bike would mean time taken from RIDING :D

I am the original owner of a 1975 R90/6 and it has never had the heads off, it does not smoke, nor burn oil. In fact, it has the original brakes (front and rear), original clutch, and original black paint. It has almost 100k. Both cylinders test correct compression. It has been garaged in a heated/cooled environment for 37 years. It runs better today than when it was new, because I have upgraded the points/condenser to an electronic ignition and had the Bing carburetors rebuilt. I also upgraded the suspension to get better handling.

As of today I have 184,275 miles on my 92 R100R.
I should roll over to 200,000 next fall.

OK as an owner of a R100R myself I worry when I hear mention of both driveshaft/U-joint and transmission bearings needing replaced, typically anywhere from 40-60K. Would you be willing to share what mileage your R needed what repairs?

1961 r69s

I sold my R69S with over 300,000 miles on it. It had never had an engine overhaul, but the heads had been done twice. The head work was needed because of the lazy rider who would put the bike on the side stand after riding. Raw gas running down on hot valves tends to cause damage.

The man who bought it from me did a total restoration and found no bearing wear. He replaced the rings, but said in reality the old rings were still good.

I did almost all the maintenance myself; but had an EXPERT mechanic named Clanton Austell do the things the bike needed to live a long life. Anyone remember "slingers"?

BTW, Clanton still owns a shop outside of Columbia, SC and has aprentice mechanics working with him to learn the art of the airhead. He also has a building full of NOS parts from his old BMW dealership.

With these new "oilheads", people tend to think 40-60K is high mileage due to all the "reliability/maintenance" problems these bikes have been having. V-belts fraying,transmissions and rear end seals leaking,shocks leaking under 25k miles,swing arm bearings,brake pad wear sooner etc....

I have no idea who these people are. They must have been reading the internet too often. Voni's R1100RS is at 370,000 miles with minimal repair. It had a valve job at 300K but still has original rings. My R1150R is at 170,000 miles with virtually no repair other than stuff like brake pads and shocks. I am both puzzled and amazed at the stuff some people come up with in their heads.

Back