• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My morning commute was a bummer

mfifer

Titan Silver
These pictures were taken this AM on Hwy 70 at St Augustine pass on my way to White Sands. It is not readily evident that the wind is blowing at a steady 35 MPH and gusting at this pass up to 60 MPH. Moments after these were taken was a moment of disaster. I hopped on , rocked her forward off the centerstand and at the same time was hit broadside by a large blast of dust , dirt and wind which almost instantly took me and her to the pavement. The RH miiror snapped off and broke the glass , lens and bulb socket. Scratched up the RH case and gave me a heck of a muscle strain under my right arm. I had a horrible time picking it back up into that wind. Well now it truely looks like I ride :violin :dunno !

DSCN0504.jpg

DSCN0506.jpg

DSCN0507.jpg

And after I got her back up !

DSCN0508.jpg

DSCN0510.jpg

Mike :whistle

If it's any consolation to you, Mike, I dropped my RT before I ever rode it. Was picking it up at the dealer and tried to take it off the center stand without first mounting the bike. Bike moves forward, off the center stand and immediately onto the right side. And I didn't have wind to blame. I was just stupid at that moment.

Thanks Robert , Sorry about your mishap. I guess we just have to accept it.
Also when I got home it occured to me I didn't even take a picture of her in her un-natural state.

Mike

Me too

If it's any consolation to you, Mike, I dropped my RT before I ever rode it. Was picking it up at the dealer and tried to take it off the center stand without first mounting the bike. Bike moves forward, off the center stand and immediately onto the right side. And I didn't have wind to blame. I was just stupid at that moment.

I dropped mine trying to jockey it around in a parking spot at the DMV the day I bought it :doh

Yup

My only new bike in 25 years was a 1996 Sinus Blue R11RT. The first day I brought it into work to show it off I, dropped it in the parking garage.

Be glad you bought the valve cover guards before the tip over (DAMHIK)

Add to motorcycle quotes "it is only new once"

Still: new or used, perfect or scratched, that is a great bike!

My only new bike in 25 years was a 1996 Sinus Blue R11RT. The first day I brought it into work to show it off I, dropped it in the parking garage.

Be glad you bought the valve cover guards before the tip over (DAMHIK)

Add to motorcycle quotes "it is only new once"

Still: new or used, perfect or scratched, that is a great bike!

Thanks Guys .
Bob , It was down several times before I got it. I think I will spring for a new mirror assembly , dash board , and ne set of engine guards. I have got a bunch of take off parts and seats , maybe it will balance out.
Mike

gorgeous photographs!

fwiw, for me, it's almost to the point that i just take a hammer and give a new bike a whack before even riding it.

i almost dropped my new HP2 as i was taking it off the dealer's parking lot. it was a combination of a tall bike, a short rider, not having the darien pants hitched up to the right position for a big stretch and leg swing, and a seat pack that was just a bit taller than i could swing a leg over.... the dealer's wife had to catch the bike (to my unending embarassment).

ian

gorgeous photographs!

fwiw, for me, it's almost to the point that i just take a hammer and give a new bike a whack before even riding it.

i almost dropped my new HP2 as i was taking it off the dealer's parking lot. it was a combination of a tall bike, a short rider, not having the darien pants hitched up to the right position for a big stretch and leg swing, and a seat pack that was just a bit taller than i could swing a leg over.... the dealer's wife had to catch the bike (to my unending embarassment).

ian

I am totally there! I once pulled up to a light on my old Kawa triple and went to put my right foot down to find the kick starter was up my bell bottom pant leg! I looked like the guy on the trike on the old Laugh In show!!

Great photographic documentation, but can you share with us some of the audio transcript from immediately after the incident?:ear

All kidding aside, I've been there too and I'm really sorry you dropped that beautiful RT. I dropped my pearl white 94 RS one time with about the same results. I was none too pleased.

Great photographic documentation, but can you share with us some of the audio transcript from immediately after the incident?:ear

All kidding aside, I've been there too and I'm really sorry you dropped that beautiful RT. I dropped my pearl white 94 RS one time with about the same results. I was none too pleased.

S#$T , God D#$M , You Stupid SOB , Crap My Arm and Side hurts, Did I scatch the helmet? and finally How the H$#L am I gona get this thing up into the wind?
She is an oldie anyway but I have some extra cash so may spring for the 5 or 6 hundred dollars in parts up front.

Thanks , Mike

Remember this post

Some of you read this post of mine some months ago and I had said the wind blew me over as I took the bike off the center stand.
Well I was off yesterday for the holiday week and they closed White Sands Missile Range early (noon) due to 50 MPH sustained wind and 97 MPH gusts at the very spot in my picture and avatar.
A good day not to be riding!!!!

:dance :dance :dance :dance

Mike

I trust you got that mirror fixed? I got my K1200S some custom graphics, only to drop it a week later in crushed stone :banghead Now I need to remove them, have some paint work done and get new graphics.........Oh well, it's just a bike, right?????

Speaking of bike, time for a Christmas day ride!

I trust you got that mirror fixed? I got my K1200S some custom graphics, only to drop it a week later in crushed stone :banghead Now I need to remove them, have some paint work done and get new graphics.........Oh well, it's just a bike, right?????

Speaking of bike, time for a Christmas day ride!
Bummer John , I tried to buy one but they are no longer made color matched. I repaired it and replaced the mirrior glass and painted the housing myself.
You either shine them or ride them.
Have a safe Christmas ride.

Mike

I was riding in El Paso from Geronimo to the Westside and got hit by a sustained gust that took me on a slow merge into the next lane on I10, though I was fighting it. Fortunately, I had a good position and traffic was light. I got off as quick as I could a took Paisano, which follows the Rio Grande in the valley. Much less wind there.

Back