• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Post photos of your vintage (pre-1970) BMW motorcycle

Mikey -

Nice...an R69S...what year? Looks like we had a discussion about this around a year ago.

If you don't mind, I'd like to move your post over to the Vintage forum where you first mentioned your acquisition of the bike.

Mikey -

Nice...an R69S...what year? Looks like we had a discussion about this around a year ago.

If you don't mind, I'd like to move your post over to the Vintage forum where you first mentioned your acquisition of the bike.

1963, sure! its been de- scooterized and a few bits added/subtracted.

My old and new.

I've had my "64 R50 for about a year now. Bought it fully restored. The restorer thought is was a factory re stamp (636315) but never seen sure what that means.
IMG_0777.jpeg

Looks like a nice R50/2. What made them think it was a restamp? Are the numbers the same on the frame and engine? I certainly don't know all that goes down at the factory, but I believe they made unmarked cases that might be needed if an original case were damaged somehow during assembly or delivery. An over stamp would be pretty obvious as is use of the wrong numbering and logos.

two R60/2s from 1967

scarlett-and-iowa.jpg

IMG_9475.jpg
Looks like a nice R50/2.
IMG_0796.jpeg What made them think it was a restamp? Are the numbers the same on the frame and engine? I certainly don't know all that goes down at the factory, but I believe they made unmarked cases that might be needed if an original case were damaged somehow during assembly or delivery. An over stamp would be pretty obvious as is use of the wrong numbering and logos.
Engine and frame match along with the front emblem. There are no logos around the stamp on the engine which is why they thought a possible re stamp. Would they have stamped an unmarked case if they used it to replace the engine or case?

Last edited:
Well firstly because the restorer told me he thought it might be. Engine and frame match along with the front emblem. There are no logos around the stamp on the engine. Would they have stamped an unmarked case if they used it to replace the engine or case?

Could you post a good closeup of the engine stamp? I would have thought that if BMW stamped it, even as a spare or replacement, then the roundel logos would be on either side of the numbers.

Here's a thread on the Vintage site show a variety of VIN numbers:

https://vintagebmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7408

On another thread, a person with an R90S had a VIN with the letter "R" at the end which is surmised to be a restamp or replacement case.

Edit --- I see you slipped in a picture!! I wonder if you could take another picture a bit farther away and with better lighting so to see the surrounding metal. I'll say that the engine surface seems quite different than most I've come across. I sort of noted in your other picture how muted the engine case was...I would have thought that it should be shinier than that. Could be the restored did some blasting of the surface...that might have been done to mask over anything that might have happened with the VIN stamp.

Does seem a bit fishy with no logos around it.

You might consider getting in touch with BMW archives to see what they might say. In this thread at the top of the page:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?50039-2-VIN-Numbers-Model-Years-and-Build-Dates

There's an email address that you could use to shoot them a message with what you know about the bike. You might show them your picture of the VIN numbers and ask if their records show any need to restamp the case and/or what did BMW actually do at the time if/when a case needed to be restamped.

Could you post a good closeup of the engine stamp? I would have thought that if BMW stamped it, even as a spare or replacement, then the roundel logos would be on either side of the numbers.

Here's a thread on the Vintage site show a variety of VIN numbers:

https://vintagebmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7408

On another thread, a person with an R90S had a VIN with the letter "R" at the end which is surmised to be a restamp or replacement case.

Sorry was just doing that and editing my post for clarity!

View attachment 80854
Engine and frame match along with the front emblem. There are no logos around the stamp on the engine which is why they thought a possible re stamp. Would they have stamped an unmarked case if they used it to replace the engine or case?

I emailed your recommended link about VINs. They feel the numbers aren't factory font so most likely a shop stamped an unmarked case after a repair.

Thanks for the update. I guess you were leaning that direction from the previous restorer...now you have more to add to that.

This is my current 1968 R60/2. I had another /2 that I bought in the 80's and rode for many years. I restored it in the 90's but when my son was born in '02, I parked it. I kept meaning to go through it and get it on the road again, but it sat in various garages as I got divorced and moved twice. I had other, newer bikes to ride.

In 2016 I was determined to get the /2 running again before my son graduated from high school, but I decided to trade my original /2 "as is" and some cash to Scottie's Workshop in Santa Clara, CA for this 1968 that was ALREADY restored.

Happy ending. Son hasn't graduated yet, and shows zero interest in riding, but I sure like the bike!

View attachment 81136

Attachments

• 1968 R60 Slash2 Nov 2018.jpg
    1968 R60 Slash2 Nov 2018.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
My own Slash 2, a 1965 R50/2! I bought it from John at Blue Moon in Georgia a few months ago, been putting miles and smiles on it slowly but steadily. Just about 750 miles since I bought her, but that's with about 3 months I had to park it. I've taken to calling her Minna, but I'm still not sold on the name. She's got just under 30k miles, and hopefully I put another 30k on her. Runs like a dream, starts on the first kick every time.

Today, I found something super interesting on my ride. I was passing near an old firehouse that's been turned into a meeting hall, and I saw this old soldier in an open fenced-off parking lot next to it. So of course I had to swing a 180 and get a glamour shot parked right next to it!

Minna Fire Engine Red 3.jpg

1966 r 50/2

This is an original survivor. The sheet metal is original paint but I had to repaint the frame as there was to much paint damage and I wanted to ensure its continued preservation.

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 189
Reunion time

I brought them home as a precaution before IAN hit SWFL. I will reluctantly deliver them for the display after a quick trip out West. Soon to come will be a Renne Sport replica, police White R 50/2 and a Granada Red R 60US. I must not leave out the Rat Ride either, it is a true abomination.

Attachments

• Fleet 2.JPG
    Fleet 2.JPG
    416 KB · Views: 158
  • Fleet 3.JPG
    Fleet 3.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 159
  • Fleet 1.JPG
    Fleet 1.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 162
This one moved to the front of the line

I saw a nicely done Rennesport Replica at the Bloomsburg National Rally 11 or so years back and wanted to try my hand at one ever since. I began in earnest about 3 months ago shortly after getting a spare R 50/2 motor. It's time to make fender brackets and get the fender and seat mounting squared away so I can get some paint on body work. Clip-ons, shift & brake linkage will be done locally.

Attachments

• rennesport 3.JPG
    rennesport 3.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 130
  • rennesport 6.JPG
    rennesport 6.JPG
    331.9 KB · Views: 133
  • rennesport 7.JPG
    rennesport 7.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 130
Rennesport Replica progress

Still have a lot to do, hope to get this wrapped up in a month or so.

Attachments

• rennesport 9.JPG
    rennesport 9.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 108
  • rennesport 10.JPG
    rennesport 10.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 108
  • rennesport 11.JPG
    rennesport 11.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 108
Some progress!

Maybe plywood and PVC schedule 40 PVC will not work but it does help with visual and clearance concerns.

Attachments

• IMG_1189.jpg
    IMG_1189.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1190.jpg
    IMG_1190.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg