• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post photos of your vintage (pre-1970) BMW motorcycle

View attachment 44806

This is my latest project, a 1921 Victoria, powered by a BMW M2 B 15 engine, as later used in the BMW R32 of 1923. Yes, before BMW made a motorcycle, they sold engines to other manufacturers of motorcycles. Victoria started out as a bicycle manufacturer in 1882. Victoria's first bike was the KR-1.
Notable features include BELT drive, to the rear wheel, the rear brake is a V block of wood, that presses into the V belt pully on the rear wheel. The machine has a 2 speed gearbox. The weird looking knob on the top of the gas tank is the shift lever. The clutch is operated by your foot, on the bikes left side. The rear brake by your right foot. The second brake was a hand operated band brake, on the back of gearbox pulley. This means that (probably) the brakes are even worse than the ones on my R32! We will find out one day. The bike has no generator, only a magneto. Lighting was a acetylene powered headlamp. That's right, you opened the front lens door, and lit a match, and lit the headlight, literally!

When it comes to old BMW's and their ancestors, you can't get any older than this. One of these years, when it is running, I'll bring it to a national rally.

Before then, if you happen to be riding through Mississippi, come by and have a look!

Vech
MOA Ambassador # 9462
Bench Mark Works
Sturgis MS
Wow!. Please post up some pictures and keep us updated during the restoration.

My R60US and my chopper from Germany

Here are some pics of my 53 R25, which had a 57 Harley springer front end with a Triumph wheel. I have made some progress on it. It runs as is and still have loads to do. Also my 68 R60US.

Attachments

• IMG_5098.jpg
    IMG_5098.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_5665.jpg
    IMG_5665.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_5547.jpg
    IMG_5547.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 346
My US

Here is my 1968 or 1969 R60 US, supposedly involved in a mysterious fire and salvaged or so goes the story I was told when I bought it in 1988.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 293
1921 Victoria with the BMW M2 B15 engine update

Wow!. Please post up some pictures and keep us updated during the restoration.

Here is an update of where things now stand. I have temporarily mocked things up in the frame to insure everything fit and worked. (Yes, this means both major components will have to be removed from the frame, again) I wrapped rags around the painted parts of the frame, to protect it from damage if I slipped, or bumped the frame, while installing the engine and gearbox.
This view is of the bike's left side. The pin stripes are finished on the frame. The new Whittkopp leather saddle is mounted. Likewise the bottom end of the engine is finished, and the big nickel plated flywheel is on the engine. The large hole at the top of the case, is for the magneto, which I still do not have. But I have found one in Germany and it is on it's way!!!!!
The foot operated clutch pedal and rod is visible, along with the external, open gear, kick start lever and clutch actuation bridge on the side of the two speed gearbox. Yes, it has an open primary chain that drives the two speed gearbox. The chain guard has not been fitted yet. The hand gearshift, (which passes through the gas tank) is mounted also. The lower end of the vertical gear shift rod, pivots in a bushing that is in the engine case. The cable that runs into the engine comes from the decompression lever on the handle bar. When you squeeze the lever, the cable pulls a free floating set of cam lobes, (which are slightly taller than the actual cam lobes) to lift both exhaust valves. Since there are NO WIRES or electrical system on this machine, the only way one can shut the engine down, is to hold open the exhaust valves, causing a loss of compression, making the engine quit.
VechorikLeftSide.jpg

This view is of the bikes right side. The drive pulley/clutch drum, with the brake brand, cable post, and attachment linkage, all hand made, (the brake was missing from the bike) is visible.
VechorikRightSide.jpg

Yep, on weekends, some people watch TV, sleep, go shopping, but I work on my own motorcycles!

pdo-riders.jpg

r69s-700.jpg

weiss2.jpg

weiss-turns-left.jpg

scarlett-at-Norm's.jpg

r68-rest2.jpg

r51-3-tim.jpg

weiss-vech-1.jpg

1949-r24.jpg

Front seat

Good Morning, could you please tell me if the driver seat is a Corbin? If so their website says it fits the bike with the larger fuel tank, the one with the glove box on top. Tim

If your talking about the /2 Bobber, just got to talking to one of the guys that that knows the bike. No it's not a Corbin. He says it's some type of Denfield/Pegusa covered in leather. That's what I know. :)

seat

This is my 1966 R50/2.....glamour shot!
Could you please tell me what brand seat this is? If it's a Corbin they claim they only make this style to fit with the larger of the two tanks that were available for that model. The smaller tank had the glove compartment on the side as yours does--according to them, the larger tank had the glove compartment on top. Tim

Dougfur -

Welcome to the forum! The picture you're referring to is from this post:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...BMW-motorcycle&p=333851&viewfull=1#post333851

Unfortunately, that member hasn't been on the forum in nearly 3 years, so I suspect he will unlikely see this.

But I have seen this Corbin seat on other /2s with the small tank as you suggest. It fits, there is a gap from the front of the seat to the tank and the nose of the seat sits up a bit. I understand from another forum that Corbin did some extra work for him to shave the nose a bit to lessen that effect. So, it can fit as is...if you like the look.

photo of my 1967 R60/2

I just bought this fine example of a well kept 50 year old classic, runs like a jeweled watch. Tim

Attachments

• 00T0T_j96xchQZtmV_600x450.jpg
    00T0T_j96xchQZtmV_600x450.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 365
Nice looking '67:thumb

I have one, however, it's in a few pieces currently...money and time keep interfering:violin

I guess they're never done

IMG_1460.jpg
Added the period correct air filter and tail light.
Looked high and low for that air filter housing, was found by my friend nearby his home in Munich.

Here is an update of where things now stand. I have temporarily mocked things up in the frame to insure everything fit and worked. (Yes, this means both major components will have to be removed from the frame, again) I wrapped rags around the painted parts of the frame, to protect it from damage if I slipped, or bumped the frame, while installing the engine and gearbox.
This view is of the bike's left side. The pin stripes are finished on the frame. The new Whittkopp leather saddle is mounted. Likewise the bottom end of the engine is finished, and the big nickel plated flywheel is on the engine. The large hole at the top of the case, is for the magneto, which I still do not have. But I have found one in Germany and it is on it's way!!!!!
The foot operated clutch pedal and rod is visible, along with the external, open gear, kick start lever and clutch actuation bridge on the side of the two speed gearbox. Yes, it has an open primary chain that drives the two speed gearbox. The chain guard has not been fitted yet. The hand gearshift, (which passes through the gas tank) is mounted also. The lower end of the vertical gear shift rod, pivots in a bushing that is in the engine case. The cable that runs into the engine comes from the decompression lever on the handle bar. When you squeeze the lever, the cable pulls a free floating set of cam lobes, (which are slightly taller than the actual cam lobes) to lift both exhaust valves. Since there are NO WIRES or electrical system on this machine, the only way one can shut the engine down, is to hold open the exhaust valves, causing a loss of compression, making the engine quit.
View attachment 57555

This view is of the bikes right side. The drive pulley/clutch drum, with the brake brand, cable post, and attachment linkage, all hand made, (the brake was missing from the bike) is visible.
View attachment 57554

Yep, on weekends, some people watch TV, sleep, go shopping, but I work on my own motorcycles!

Looking good. Any more progress over the winter months?

Yes, I did finally finish the 1921 Victoria

Time is fun when your having flies... I should have posted the photo long ago, but better late than never!

Attachments

• smaller victoria.jpg
    smaller victoria.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 225
Vech -

Was the "fix" fairly straightforward after the maiden run in May 2017? It worked pretty good downhill! :stick

The fix on the victoria

Vech -

Was the "fix" fairly straightforward after the maiden run in May 2017? It worked pretty good downhill! :stick

After I got the bike back from a museum that I loaned it to, for 6 months, I pulled the engine, and tore it back down. I suspected ring seizure, since I did not see any drag or galling marks on the pistons. I had reused the original pistons, and had the cylinders re sleeved. The rings on the original pistons were very narrow, and there was no true oil ring at all. So I had the ring lands machined out so I could use later KS modern rings. I suspected that the ring groove was not quite deep enough, and when the engine got hot, the piston expanded until it touched the inside of the rings, pressing them against the cylinder wall so tight it would try and bind and seize. I had the ring lands machined just a touch deeper, and I also had the bore loosened up just a little.
I had other problems that I wanted to correct also. It seems the quality of the casting of the M2B15 engine is very crude compared to later BMW engines. After I put it together the first time, and had the engine installed in the Victoria frame, and I put oil in the engine, I discovered the casting was weeping oil through the pores of the aluminum in about 4 different places. This really irritated me, so I tore the engine completely down, and cleaned the crankcase, submerging it repeatedly in lacquer thinner (including putting the case in the oven at 225 degrees, to make it sweat the oil out of the pores). After repeated flushes, I painted the inside of the case with Glyptol and banked the cases in the oven to cure the red Glyptol coating. That did the trick. I now have the engine back together and back in the frame. But I have not run it yet. The paint, on the top of the gas tank (naturally) showed signs of bubbling up. So I took the tank back to the painters, and I'm still waiting....

Welcome to the forum, Michael! That is surely a well appointed R69S. You're going to get many people coming up to talk to you about the bike!!

I have one point to make...the ad says it's a 1963 model. According to the range of VIN numbers that I've been maintaining, the VIN should equate to a 1966 model. To verify, you can send the VIN info in an email to the BMW archives and they can tell you what they know about the bike and maybe have the build date. I have information in this thread:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?50039-2-VIN-Numbers-Model-Years-and-Build-Dates

Winter may be over!

Pulled the '67 R60/2 out of winter storage on wooden floored motorcycle shed.

r60:2020b.jpgR60:2020.jpg

Back