• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Post photos of your vintage (pre-1970) BMW motorcycle

BlackFly's and my 1960 R60 is an antique.

166833071_ftAVG-M.jpg

If I were born before 1960, then what does that make MEEEEE? :uhoh

BlackFly's and my 1960 R60 is an antique.

If I were born before 1960, then what does that make MEEEEE? :uhoh

iRene, the vintage club doesn't consider your beautiful R60 an antique. It's a vintage, a very, very good vintage, just as you are.

:)

Meet Jezebel...
Born 1965...raised in Ohio...Now resides in Hudson Valley, NY.
VIN 627630
As a new rider, despite all the sage advice and dire warnings that I would probably blow her up, I put 4000 miles on her this summer....took my motorcycle test on her...the test giver had never seen a bike that old... It's a newbie thing.....:blush
Yes...she's got 54K on her with no recorded service....
As I sat at the dealer...awaiting the results of her first professional CatScan....I perused all the hot new models...very shiny....
Her medical report was as expected....she runs very well... for her age, despite low compression, leaky seals, used tires and shocks, non standard pipes and badly tuned carbs....and would I like to trade her in on one of these sexy new bikes?.....I'd already decided....the only bike I really wanted to ride at the dealership...was my /2....
I'm now in complete withdrawal, as she's about to be dismantled for slingers and bearings and pistons and tranny rebuild....and?.....:uhoh
But I'm seduced, addicted, moved , touched and aroused by this dinosaur...
Come next spring...she will roam the Earth once more!:brow

Attachments

• Foundnearbarn2.jpg
    Foundnearbarn2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,244
Cousin Sam is really to blame for all this....
I never, ever, ever wanted to ride...everybody I'd known who had, was either dead or crippled or full of horrific stories regarding "murdercycles"....
Besides...I had 2 antique boats to throw money at...
Then gas went to $4.59/ gal ....it was costing me more to get to the boat than it was to go fishing....maybe a little motorcycle ISN"T such a bad idea.....:dunno
What could go wrong?????........:confused: :
The next morning Sam calls...
...I've found a motorcycle for you, if your interested...it's in great shape!...a good starter bike....
( A word about Sam....)....
Been riding since '83....MOA member 43529....
Current bikes:
'54 R51/3 , '36 Indian Chief, '51 NSU Max, '68 R69S, '67 R60/2, '76 R90S....many others over the years.....the Man knows his Beemers.....
Gee Sam....funny you should call.....OK...I'm in.....
(What could go wrong??????....if Sam's happy with the bike, why shouldn't I have bologna for lunch too????....)
So I buy a bike, sight unseen, from somebody in Ohio.....:huh
...(I will post my reflections on the beauty of being a newber...not now....but ignorance TRULY is bliss....!)
Sam arrives in June with Jezebel, his 69S, a set of hard Bucos, a Wixom fairing, 2 dogs...ALL stuffed into his '94 Ford Ranger......he loves that truck......
...Here's your new bike!......
...COOL!.....NOW what do I do?......
I've got no gear...no liscence...can't start the thing...can't lift it onto the centerstand...it's 102 degrees out.....I've never ridden a motorcycle in my life....:drink
And so it starts.....
We mess with her....straighten out the carbs and timing...change all fluids....
Gee...what's that "brassy sheen" floating in that noisy tranny?????
Sam has a spare tranny shipped from Ohio...pops it in....
...Now your good to go!......
Oh by the way...I'm headed to NH to a rallye....have fun!.....don't forget your slingers need servicing.....and off he goes.....
I go to Rhinebeck 08' (just up the road)...Wow!.....look at all them old bikes!
I take an early morning ride one Saturday...and end up at Wlicox Park...with a whole bunch of BeemerHeads....7:15AM....
I park it on the road, start looking around, and see SOME GUY...moving my bike!!!
Hi can I help you?....
Oh Yeah....we need to keep the lane clear for cars...just thought I'd move this out of the way...nice to meet you...I'm Mike Freidle.....here's my card....
...like I said ...ignorance is bliss....
Then I ride with my buddy Jason to an antique gathering in Woodstock...for a 75 mile jaunt with 100 of my new buddies....
( Jason Adams just returned from Tunisia...a member of the victorious American BMW Motorrad team...)
And finally, I got lost... looking for Hunter Mountain...but made it to The Color In The Catskills get togther in October....as I'm pulling out to head home....I see a familiar figure working the gate....
Hi Mike....I met you at Wilcox....
...I remember you Dan....the bike sounds good...safe ride.....:p
I glance at the odometer...and realize I've cranked off 4K since June..
..Jezebel starts on the first kick....I've been offered $10K for her as is....
As the Old Man used to say...."...too soon old...too late shmart!....."
I was concerned in the beginning, about misplaced trust...and my desire to get involved with this activity.....
I want to now express my gratitude to those instrumental in my "formative" stage....I could have not dreamed of being introduced to motorcycling...on such a beautiful machine...by the best and brightest Airheads on the Planet!!!!!:bow
Thanks Boys....
I'll see you in the Spring!

Attachments

• Bucos 007.jpg
    Bucos 007.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,203
Sam's Truck

Sam arrives from Ohio...
...the Ford Ranger looked SWEET!

Attachments

• jezebel 003.jpg
    jezebel 003.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 1,201
Same Truck

Goes home...and RETURNS to New England...and puts THIS in the back of the Ranger.....
I'm startin' to like this truck......:jawdrop
It was a Hell of Summer!.......

Attachments

• R51-3.jpg
    R51-3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 1,202
Vintage Air Training Pic

The Dec 2008 issue of BMWON gives well deserved praise to David Hough"s long time efforts to provide to provide training to both two wheel as well as three wheel motorcycle riders. In the early 80s, when I added a sidecar to my 68 R60/2, I knew I needed some help on setup, as well as, riding skills. David's sidecar manual got me started off on the right foot.

Once I got the sidecar setup completed and sorted out, it was time for training my brain for going from 2 wheel riding to 3 wheel riding and vice-versa, so I headed to the nearest school parking lot to practice per Davids advice. As I became more comfortable riding the rig on the road and having the sidecar come up a few times unexpectedly in a decreasing radius right hand turn.....I knew it was time for some more training...so back to the big parking lot and practicing getting the car in the air, and getting the car back down without having a panic attack.

The attached pic shows my 68 R60/2 rig in the air........and with David's help over the years, I too feel I am a much safer rider/driver on two, three or four wheels. Tks David........we all appreciate your commitment to motorcycle safety.

LARRY ROBISON
Suttons Bay, MI
68 R60/2 Sidecar Rig
04 R1150GSA Dualsport Sidecar Rig :bikes

Attachments

• 433529787_vnHZb-M.jpg
    433529787_vnHZb-M.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,097
Last edited:
Wix On...Wix Offf

Jezebel comes replete with the Buco's...and this fairing....
it fits up well....but I've never actually ridden with the thing...it covers up the BarEnds....

Attachments

• july25 001wixom.jpg
    july25 001wixom.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,074
1967 R69s

1967 R69S - In 1982 I traded my (purchased new) 1982 R100 for the R69S. Driven for four years (1984-88) and sat for twenty. Cleaned up the head/piston, carbs (one was a mess) - had to drive five miles from the apartment to the rented climate controlled shed. Original plugs, made the trip - lots of kicks. Not counting the engine stuff, which I'll redo, I'm starting at one end and ending up at the other - cleaning, greasing, adjusting and replacing only where needed - a working motorcycle (and my only motorcycle.) So far I have the tires/tubes purchased and the front tire assembly ready to go. Now to attack the steering and front suspension.

Me and my bike 1984
R69S_67_danfix-1984.jpg

November 2008 - Laredo
R69S_67_Nov2008.jpg

November 2008 - Laredo
R69S_67_DSCN0642.jpg

--

The diamond pinstriping on the shock covers is a nice subtle touch... I don't normally care for foofystuff, but that looks good... you gotta love a bike like that!

:)

Jezebel made it to the Rhinebeck Meet

Attachments

• AMCERhinebeckDay3001.jpg
    AMCERhinebeckDay3001.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 849
She held her own...in some very fine company....

Attachments

• AMCARhinebeck 012.jpg
    AMCARhinebeck 012.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 849
1969 R60US w/ Earles Fork

Hi all,
This bike belonged to my dad, who purchased it new in 1970. He had the dealer replace the telescopic fork with an Earles fork as he wasn't fond of the new US style fork. It's a gem to ride and has less than 11,000 original miles.

Attachments

• IMG_2267s.jpg
    IMG_2267s.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,181
gang-of-4-700.jpg

How can you not love these bikes?!

1954 R51/3 restored by Tim Stafford:

ts-r51.jpg

1967 R60/2, restored by Tim Stafford

67r60-450.jpg

1969 R50/2, also unrestored:

gray-1.jpg