Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 131

Thread: are you tired of the whining?

  1. #46
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Sometimes I just have to shake my head and sigh.... Isn't this supposed to be fun?
    Yes
    I got sucked in again.

    This weekend also included

  2. #47
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,554
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Don I fully understand what your point is. I suspect we strongly agree on the desired outcome. While I am more than willing to agree that have your name out in plain view may ameliorate ones behavior, I believe that it will do only that.
    John, glad someone does.. I have no problem with disagreement on the outcome.

    This is a social board. The screen names used by many have been pondered on and say much about the person in this social context. What some of us would argue there are many other tools that can be used to contain bad behavior than going to the screen name.
    I proposed this because this was a thread asking if people are tired of the whining.. and since I'm a moderator I end up having to deal with the back-end work involved in doing it with the "other tools".. I'm very tired of whining (and moreso - personal attacks.)

    Unlike most free forums - the moderators here are quite restricted in what we can do, and the amount of documentation required for anything we actually *do* is much greater than any other forum I moderate on. It makes what should be a fairly simple task tedious and time consuming. A number of moderators here have quit because of the amount of time required and a few apparently because of public attacks on them when they did some moderation action.

    Lessening the amount of moderation needed and de-fanging the attack dogs seems a reasonable goal to me. Moderation is really a last-step, avoiding the need for moderation should be where our focus should be. If you have any thoughts on how we can achieve this - please post them.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  3. #48
    2 Wheeled Troubador oldhway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    4,137
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Lessening the amount of moderation needed and de-fanging the attack dogs seems a reasonable goal to me. Moderation is really a last-step, avoiding the need for moderation should be where our focus should be. If you have any thoughts on how we can achieve this - please post them.
    I think we spend to much time on the acceptable content. I think moderation should be about acceptable behaior. While the argument can be made that certain content is more apt to encourage bad behavior, it still comes down to how members treat each other.

    Let the "rules" deal with behavior, make it abundantly clear that any disrespectful, hurtful, or inflammatory behavior will get you censored or removed, and let folks express there opinions. By concentrating on peoples actions, and not their opinions, the rules become far more tangible and easily understood.

    Simply put, if we want to play here, we have to behave. If that can be achieved (and I believe it can), the other issues will become non-issues. After all, everyone has a right to their opinion. They don't have a right to tear someone else's down.

    My $.02, since you asked.
    Steve Marquardt

  4. #49
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Sometimes I just have to shake my head and sigh.... Isn't this supposed to be fun?
    Sorry, one of my degrees is in organizational behavior, another in political science. Forums like this are big live lab experiments. So in a strange way threads like this can be fun for me as long as I don‘«÷t get sucked in.

  5. #50
    Mongo
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Sorry, one of my degrees is in organizational behavior, another in political science. Forums like this are big live lab experiments. So in a strange way threads like this can be fun for me as long as I don’t get sucked in.
    Oh don't get me wrong, in the right frame of mind I can find those posts quite amusing. It's just that the repetition can get a little boring. It's the same members with the same beefs over and over and over.....

  6. #51
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,807
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Unlike most free forums - the moderators here are quite restricted in what we can do, and the amount of documentation required for anything we actually *do* is much greater than any other forum I moderate on. It makes what should be a fairly simple task tedious and time consuming. A number of moderators here have quit because of the amount of time required and a few apparently because of public attacks on them when they did some moderation action.

    I am not at all familiar with the back of the house issues here. Care to expand?


    I also agree with oldway that for me, my concerns are more in terms of behavior than content. Care to comment on that also?

    For example, take a look at some of the threads that deal with questions regarding trailering. I often find myself bothered by the would be defenders of the trailering poster as I am of the person making fun of them while expousing their own riding manlyhood with great bravado.

  7. #52
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, in the right frame of mind I can find those posts quite amusing. It's just that the repetition can get a little boring. It's the same members with the same beefs over and over and over.....
    guilty.

  8. #53
    Mongo
    Guest
    Oh will you look at the time
    Time to put the gear on and ride on home.

  9. #54
    Still Wondering mika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fly Over Land
    Posts
    11,807
    Sure...I work from home. Finally get someone new to play with and they have to go.

  10. #55
    Loose Cannon flash412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    1,597
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    guilty.
    +1
    Teach the mods to follow the rules and I'll quit harping on the fact that they don't.
    Or dump the rules.
    Either way is fine with me.
    Click here for Tales of Motorcycles and Life
    - BMW MOA Lifetime Member #18854

  11. #56
    looking for a coal mine knary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    5,877
    Quote Originally Posted by flash412 View Post
    +1
    Teach the mods to follow the rules and I'll quit harping on the fact that they don't.
    Or dump the rules.
    Either way is fine with me.
    I thought you and I covered this already?

  12. #57
    Registered User dancogan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    2,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    I think respect is something earned, not just because they were voted in.
    If a volunteer sucks, and I complain about it, is that whining, or is it a valid point?...
    The problem with complaining here is that this is a public forum. Complaining about a volunteer on the forum is far different than talking to the person in charge of that particular activity, or the volunteer him or herself, and voicing a complaint. So, if a volunteer sucks and you complain about it publicly, I don't think you've chosen the appropriate forum, and I think this kind of public treatment discourages others from volunteering.
    Dan

  13. #58
    Registered User Rapid_Roy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Waukesha, WI
    Posts
    5,761
    Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    The problem with complaining here is that this is a public forum. Complaining about a volunteer on the forum is far different than talking to the person in charge of that particular activity, or the volunteer him or herself, and voicing a complaint. So, if a volunteer sucks and you complain about it publicly, I don't think you've chosen the appropriate forum, and I think this kind of public treatment discourages others from volunteering.
    When you say it like that.....and I think about it, I agree.
    I have been a volunteer at a few Nat'ls, and have had good and bad experiences. I don't read much of the threads where people do because I don't enjoy them, so I move on. It wouldn't stop me from volunteering, but I am a known fool. I can see how it might stop somebody who is new to rallies.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

  14. #59
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,664
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    Actually - I noted just the opposite. The "whiners" (we can define them as so-called or not) do not have their real names in a SIG. They may have it in the user profile, but an almost constant is - it's lacking from their sigs.
    You need super powers to see their names in their profile.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

  15. #60
    Focused kbasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Marin By God County, California
    Posts
    11,664
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    My name can be found on search results going back 20+ years, and so far - no one has stolen my identity. You are much more at risk using your credit card at Bob's Stores than by posting your name on every newsgroup or forum you can find.
    Indeed. Google my name and you get plenty of hits.

    So far, my identity is secure. I take great pains to keep my phone number, address and such out of the public spotlight, but I also take great care to shred any mail with my name and address on it, as well as things like credit card offers and the like.

    I believe you have a greater chance of having your identity lifted from something like disposed mail than on line.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

    Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •