• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Deadliest photos

OfficerImpersonator

Seattle-area Rounder
Went for a kayak excursion yesterday along the Lake Washington Ship Canal, Salmon Bay, Fisherman's Terminal, and the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks and found a few celebrity fishing boats along the way...

The Northwestern, tied up at a shipyard, undergoing what is rumored to be an extensive refurbishing...
20080518-017.jpg

The Wizard, about three docks west of the Northwestern...
20080518-029.jpg

20080518-027.jpg

The entire trip series of photos is available here:
http://dvandkq.net/John%20Wesley%204th%20year.htm

It's amazing how small these boats are up-close and in-person. They are truly specks of dust on the vast open ocean.

I am really surprised you got so close with Homeland Security now interested in port operations. In fact, there is some talk about all boat owners having to be registered with the federal government as a Homeland Security issue. I think it's more about the fee to register than anything else, but......

The shoulder which keeps me from riding, also keeps my off my kayak. I enjoyed your pictures immensely. Water level sure gives a different perspective, doesn't it?

Went for a kayak excursion yesterday along the Lake Washington Ship Canal, Salmon Bay, Fisherman's Terminal, and the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks and found a few celebrity fishing boats along the way...

What do you mean by "celebrity" fishing boats?

It's amazing how small these boats are up-close and in-person. They are truly specks of dust on the vast open ocean.

Almost everything is a speck of dust when on the vast open ocean. That doesn't mean it's not seaworthy.

I am really surprised you got so close with Homeland Security now interested in port operations.

DHS/USCG are only concerned with the high value (both $$$ and terrorist target) areas of port operations. If the fishing boat area of the general port area is not close to the high value area (or you don't have to pass through it), then DHS/USCG really don't get too involved. In the Houston area, the Houston Ship Channel is only restricted once you get the part with the refineries, chemical plants, and other commerical areas. Below that, where all the fishing and pleasure boats are, it is pretty much open water . . . but I still would not get TOO close to tankers and freighters transiting the ship channel in Galveston Bay!

:hide

I am really surprised you got so close with Homeland Security now interested in port operations. In fact, there is some talk about all boat owners having to be registered with the federal government as a Homeland Security issue. I think it's more about the fee to register than anything else, but......

The shoulder which keeps me from riding, also keeps my off my kayak. I enjoyed your pictures immensely. Water level sure gives a different perspective, doesn't it?

A couple of years ago, I was kayaking along the waterfront in Everett, WA, home port to the USS Abraham Lincoln and her defensive armada of frigates. I was paddling along the shore, about 100 yards off the dock to which the Lincoln was moored on the other side. There was the several-hundred yard wide dock and a breakwater between me and the Lincoln. All of the sudden, a couple of guys appeared on the dock with their assault rifles, prepared to shoot me if I was the Al-Qaeda Navy. They yelled at me to back away. I yelled back that I was in waters open to navigation and if they felt the need to shoot me, I was sure my wife would enjoy the big check Uncle Sam would soon be sending her. They slowly wandered back away from the edge of the dock and left me alone, but I'm sure someone was watching me through the myriad security cameras mounted along and under the dock.

It's pretty sad when members of the military threaten to shoot civilians behaving in a completely lawful manner, all in the name of "homeland security".

This homeland security stuff is all so ridiculous. Just another way for the military industrial complex to feed at the public trough after the end of the Cold War.

Ohhhhh . . . thanks! I was trying to figure out was class of fishing boat was a "celebrity". :thumb

BTW, I'm too busy watching Speed Channel! Yesterday was awesome . . . AMA Superbike from Sonoma, Rolex from Tooele, AMLS from Laguna Seca, and MotoGP from Le Mans. I barely had time to wash the bike and catch up on a missed episode of Doctor Who! :lol

I was paddling along the shore, about 100 yards off the dock to which the Lincoln was moored on the other side. There was the several-hundred yard wide dock and a breakwater between me and the Lincoln. All of the sudden, a couple of guys appeared on the dock with their assault rifles, prepared to shoot me if I was the Al-Qaeda Navy. They yelled at me to back away. I yelled back that I was in waters open to navigation and if they felt the need to shoot me, I was sure my wife would enjoy the big check Uncle Sam would soon be sending her.

:eek "Open to navigation"?

Hmmm . . . I wonder which outcome the Captain of the USS Abraham Lincoln and the dock security officer worries about more:

1. The possibility of having to explain navy personnel deaths and significant damage to a multi-billion dollar nuclear-powered aircraft carrier from a small boat, after the experience of the USS Cole, or

2. The possibility of paying a couple of million dollars to the family of someone who refused orders to stand off.

Any votes? ;)

:eek "Open to navigation"?

Hmmm . . . I wonder which outcome the Captain of the USS Abraham Lincoln and the dock security officer worries about more:

1. The possibility of having to explain navy personnel deaths and significant damage to a multi-billion dollar nuclear-powered aircraft carrier from a small boat, after the experience of the USS Cole, or

2. The possibility of paying a couple of million dollars to the family of someone who refused orders to stand off.

Any votes? ;)

I draw a distinction between Naval Station Everett and Yemen.

One is chock full of terrorists, the other U.S. citizens. I would think the rules of engagement would be different depending upon the location. If they are not, then it's time to disband the military and set up something different, as our military is, ostensibly, established to protect - and not threaten - U.S. citizens behaving in a lawful manner.

But - this thread was supposed to be about cool fishing boats seen on a great show - not about port security!

I draw a distinction between Naval Station Everett and Yemen.

Of course, the question relevant to you as the soon-to-be target is whether the sailor/marine holding the M-16 draws the same distinction you do. :eek

One is chock full of terrorists, the other U.S. citizens. I would think the rules of engagement would be different depending upon the location. If they are not, then it's time to disband the military and set up something different, as our military is, ostensibly, established to protect - and not threaten - U.S. citizens behaving in a lawful manner.

I'm sure the rules of engagement ARE different between the two, but they may not be as different as you feel they should be. But, it's not your call. If you are ignoring a lawfully-established exclusion zone, and ignoring lawful warnings by authorized personnel, then you are NOT a U.S. citizen behaving in a "lawful manner". I just love you military conspiracy theory guys! :lol

I don't know about you, but if some guy in a military uniform with an M-16 tells me to back away . . . I'm going to back the f**k away . . . as fast as I can . . . and not argue "waters open to navigation" with him. I'll follow-up with the Coast Guard later. But, hey, that's just me! ;)

Of course, the question relevant to you as the soon-to-be target is whether the sailor/marine holding the M-16 draws the same distinction you do. :eek

I'm sure the rules of engagement ARE different between the two, but they may not be as different as you feel they should be. But, it's not your call. If you are ignoring a lawfully-established exclusion zone, and ignoring lawful warnings by authorized personnel, then you are NOT a U.S. citizen behaving in a "lawful manner". I just love you military conspiracy theory guys! :lol

I don't know about you, but if some guy in a military uniform with an M-16 tells me to back away . . . I'm going to back the f**k away . . . as fast as I can . . . and not argue "waters open to navigation" with him. I'll follow-up with the Coast Guard later. But, hey, that's just me! ;)

I have grown tired of talking about rules of engagement when I want to talk about the Bering Sea crab fleet, but since you keep pushing it...

Our military answers to me, the citizen taxpayer. Thus, the military must respect my right to travel in or through public areas. As I've mentioned all along, I was in the estuary of the Snohomish River, a crowded and popular waterway for commercial and pleasure craft alike. I was proceeding in a lawful and legal manner in a public space.

If "authority" is misbehaving or assuming control over that which they have no authority to control, I will be the first to question authority. Your rights aren't protected by succumbing to authority - your rights only exist when you confront authority and exercise those rights.

You can be the sheep, or you can be the wolf. I'll chose the wolf every time.

Now, can we please talk about fishing boats?

I have grown tired of talking about rules of engagement when I want to talk about the Bering Sea crab fleet, but since you keep pushing it...

We're not talking about the rules of engagement. I don't know what their rules of engagement are for this situation. I only know what you told me happened.

When someone else (SIBUD), not me, raised the issue of being really surprised that Homeland Security let you get so close to the fishing boats, we were discussing the security priorities of DHS and USCG. YOU were the one who injected your amusing little anectdote about how you successfully stared down trigger-happy armed military personnel from your little kayak with your claims of "waters open to navigation". (Frankly, my "BS" alarm went off a little at the thought of armed military personnel shaking in their boots and withdrawing because of your threats of litigation, but we'll just leave that one alone.)

I never said you should not question authority or assert your "rights". My main observation was WHEN and HOW you should question authority, especially in this situation. In my last post I specifically said that I would follow-up with the Coast Guard LATER, and that challenging armed personnel while sitting in my little kayak is probably not the best "how and when". I'm just saying. :rolleyes

By the way, in the West (including Wyoming) wolves get shot when they threaten the sheep.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled ride . . .

Our military answers to me, the citizen taxpayer. Thus, the military must respect my right to travel in or through public areas. As I've mentioned all along, I was in the estuary of the Snohomish River, a crowded and popular waterway for commercial and pleasure craft alike. I was proceeding in a lawful and legal manner in a public space.

:p In Portsmouth NH you can see the tethered Subs in port for repairs. Can I talk you into exercising your rights to challenge their authority and approach the subs. I have heard tales of the fast response by the Navy and their boat mounted 50s. I really want to see it first hand but I don't have have stones to do it myself. :laugh

I watch the deadliest catch all the time. Growing up in a fishing town, I used to lobster in the summer as a kid. Wherever I can smell the ocean I feel at home. :thumb

:p In Portsmouth NH you can see the tethered Subs in port for repairs. Can I talk you into exercising your rights to challenge their authority and approach the subs. I have heard tales of the fast response by the Navy and their boat mounted 50s. I really want to see it first hand but I don't have have stones to do it myself. :laugh

I watch the deadliest catch all the time. Growing up in a fishing town, I used to lobster in the summer as a kid. Wherever I can smell the ocean I feel at home. :thumb

I kept trying to convince the wife to let us paddle through the locks into the saltwater. It's a blast kayaking through locks, with all those much larger power and sail boats crowding around you. Drop 14' and next thing you know, you're in Puget Sound instead of Lake Washington. We'll do that sometime this summer.

I kept trying to convince the wife to let us paddle through the locks into the saltwater. It's a blast kayaking through locks, with all those much larger power and sail boats crowding around you. Drop 14' and next thing you know, you're in Puget Sound instead of Lake Washington. We'll do that sometime this summer.

I went kayaking for the first time last summer. I liked it allot. Now I keep eyeballing kayaks evertime I'm at LL Beans.
Like I can afford another hobby :laugh

I went kayaking for the first time last summer. I liked it allot. Now I keep eyeballing kayaks evertime I'm at LL Beans.
Like I can afford another hobby :laugh

Those long and lean Wilderness Systems boats are gorgeous. Get as long a boat as you can - the longer they are, the faster they are. My suggestions would be to avoid anything with a huge cockpit or a sit-on-top. You want to keep the water out of your boat, and you want to sit as low in the boat as possible. A huge cockpit lets water in, which you'll spend the rest of the day sitting in - not fun! A sit-on-top kayak has a higher center of gravity, making the boat a lot less stable than a "conventional" kayak.

We have three boats - two 14' Perception Carolinas (my wife's red boat in the photos) and a 21' Northwest Kayaks Seascape Expedition (the one I'm in with my son). The only thing I don't like about my 21' boat is that it's almost too heavy for the roof rack. I'm going to have to engineer a way to keep the kayak mounts from slipping and rotating under the weight of the boat.

Back