• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K11-LT mechanical question ...

basketcase

What's that noise...?
Since we don't have a forum devoted specifically to tech questions, I surmised this would be the place to ask (as opposed to asking over on the Campfire section). Here goes.

I am riding a 1995 K1100LT. Tonight, I took a 40 + mile ride through the rolling hills and countryside, and twice, I smelled gas -- not an overpowering, raw gas odor, but a fuel-ish smell all the same.

Given my schedule, I will have to wait until daylight and Saturday to look at it in earnest. I would not call myself a skilled wrench, but I can do most basic maintenance ... and don't mind following instructions.

What else might be the sources of such an odor? Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

PS: FWIW, after I made the original post, this was moved to the Tech sections that opened mid day on April 18. Progress ...

Last edited:
If this is a new smell, I would check the fuel line connections to the tank and at the fuel rail. You can see one of them by your left foot, but you'll need to remove the knee pad to see the others. Maybe something is weeping.

Does this bike still have separate hoses under the breather lines on the right rear of the gas tank? If they are old and cracked, you might be getting some vent smell from those. And even if the hoses have been replaced by the plastic cup, you'll still get a little smell.

Another possibility is a seam leak at the bottom of the gas tank. Hopefully its not that.

And maybe the foam seal around the base of the gas cap has finally given up. That's an inexpensive fix, but a little time consuming. You haven't lived until you've disassembled a K bike gas cap. :)

Jon

Last edited:
Back