• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front Brake sticking

R

r1150gsp

I,ve got 2001 r115ogsp with 29000 miles on it .I've owned only about 2000 miles ,its a expolice bike out texas . I rode the end last summer & fall and got it out this spring and today rode to the blessing of the bikes in baldwin Mi. and on the way back the front brake start feeling kind of strange, like it was draging kind of , so I pulled in the clutch lever and it rolled to a stop the front brake was dragging petty good I rolled back and forth and seemed to release but if I use the front brake it does it again. When I put it up on the center stand and turn the wheel you can here the pads draging slightly . Any help would be great.

new

Sounds like the pucks are coming out caliper. Your pads are worn. The pucks stick out and get hung up.
Brian

Sounds like the pucks are coming out caliper. Your pads are worn. The pucks stick out and get hung up.
Brian

Thanks Brian , how thick should the pads be , I haven't removed them yet but looking in there with the trouble light they look to be 1/8 " plus .

Do the hand protectors on the 1150GS prevent the hand lever from going all the way out like on the 1200GS if it is not aligned properly?

Bill, check the handguard, it may have gotten misalligned and is touching the lever a bit. With all those people milling around the bikes, who knows what may have happened. When you change the brake pads, be sure to clean up the pistons so they do not stick.

Could also need to have the brake fluid changed. There is a small relief port in the master cylinder that allows the master cylinder piston to fully retract. If that port gets blocked due to some form of contamination the piston stays slightly applied.

Could also be dirt/grime/rust on the caliper piston/seals that is not allowing the caliper piston to fully retract.

All right guys I took the bike down to Grand Rapids BMW friday morning and it was the stock rubber front brake lines, they replaced them with braided stainless steel lines and no more brakes sticking or dragging . I guess they diamante and cause the front brakes not to release. Thanks for the ideas guys.
Bill

Back