• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ews Cure?

MPATROVSKY

I don't have my shop manuals yet but in reading all the posts on the early failure of the antennae for this system I gather the following and have a few questions for the wrenches on this board.

1. The failures only prevent starting the bike.
2. The failures have no effect on a running bike, once it starts it's good until shut off.
3. In some cases, letting the bike sit for a while allows normal starting.

What, exactly does the EWS disable? Will the starter spin during an "event"?

If the starter won't spin during an event, would jumping the solenoid allow the bike to start?

Is the ignition disabled during an event? ie no voltage at the + terminal of the coil?

Instead of waiting for my recently purchased 8000 mile '06 to fail I'd like some knowledge of the system and possible workarounds to temporarily put the bike back into operation.

Anybody studied this before??

Can the connector to the antennae be disconnected and either be pin jumped or have exterior voltage applied?

If the antenna fails, you won't be going anywhere.

Period.

Unplugging anything won't help.

I don't have my shop manuals yet but in reading all the posts on the early failure of the antennae for this system I gather the following and have a few questions for the wrenches on this board.

2. The failures have no effect on a running bike, once it starts it's good until shut off.

If the starter won't spin during an event, would jumping the solenoid allow the bike to start?

Is the ignition disabled during an event? ie no voltage at the + terminal of the coil?

Instead of waiting for my recently purchased 8000 mile '06 to fail I'd like some knowledge of the system and possible workarounds to temporarily put the bike back into operation.

Can the connector to the antennae be disconnected and either be pin jumped or have exterior voltage applied?

The only best thing to do is carry a spare antenna ring and plug it in instead of the ring on the bike. Hold it near the key and if it is the ring that was the problem, you will be able to start the bike. It's usually the ring.

In all the above - yes.
The start circuitry and engine management.
I don't believe so.. the EWS enables the engine management system during the startup sequence. If the EWS signal isn't seen - the engine management system doesn't "turn on". If it is seen - the system turns on and then simply ignores the EWS signal since it's been verified as legitimate.

Your '06 is very unlikely to fail. Aside from the actual number of failures being quite low - it seems the majority of them are occuring on '07 model year bikes, and typically before 1,000 miles. There are some exceptions (there are ALWAYS exceptions.. :dance ) but they have been very rare.

Nope. It's reading a digital signal generated in response to a signal sent to your ignition key. The signal is unique and I believe changes with each use.. so unless you carry a code generated with you it won't work, and even then, the EWS has a time-out period where it won't accept another code in order to foil thieves with code generators.

As (Chuck)Jack suggested - if it REALLY worries you - carry a spare antenna, and I'd suggest learning how to swap the connection before you leave on the long trip. Having the spare with you about guarantees Eilenberger's Law of Spare Parts comes into play.. "You never need the part you have. (and the sublaw is - the further you are from the part you need is directly proportional to the probable need for the part (Canada proved that to me -))" http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm

Back