• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Purpose of the signature

Heh heh. I just found this thread. What can I say? Its a boring Sunday evening.

I decided to go to my User CP and check out what all the fuss was about. Apparently my use of the "italicized" code and "Size" code in my sig was grandfathered in. I can't seem to add anything and keep it as it is now without doing away with my pithy little Pirsig saying in the tiny size.

Why do we have text "size" restrictions? I don't get it. Are our restrictions gradually lessened as we accumulate posts?:brow

We all have sensory filters:

threemonkies.jpg

• We hear what we want to hear
  • We see what we want to see
  • We say what we want to say.
I find it very easy to ignore ostentatious sig lines and focus on the significant text.

to keep forum pages clean and readable.

Where do you draw the line, Ian?

What about useless small talk. Eliminate that and I'd waste less time sifting through the information on just about all forums.

Ian, if they want to keep the forum pages clean and readable, why not change the limits of the left column. I mean a 70 x 70 pixels avatar (kind of a joke). Make it the full width of the column. Then allow anything else to be added to it. This way sig lines can be nice and short.

Where do you draw the line, Ian?

when the signal-to-noise ratio starts makes one work to find content.

What about useless small talk. Eliminate that and I'd waste less time sifting through the information on just about all forums.

that's a forum structure and moderation issue. it seems to be pretty easy to find solid content here, as well as small talk.

when the signal-to-noise ratio starts makes one work to find content.

If that's work, then seriously, we should reconsider the state of grace you lie in respective to more pressing matters.

I think the sig line restrictions were a half-baked idea that someone came up with arbitrarily to make an ego driven point. I don't see any satisfactory explanation so far to refute this premise.

The forums should ONLY contain the information which I seek. Everything else: signatures, avatars, jokes, opinions, questions, et cetera, should be deleted, banned or otherwise not shown here.

:dance

A signature is similar to a handshake in that it says something about the person. This is why when the forum mods sign their names on paper documents, they put little hearts where the dots normally go over the i's.

Do NOT read my .signature. Do NOT follow the links there. You might LEARN something about what it was like to ride a BMW motorcycle thirty-five years ago. You might find a BMW motorcycle that you or a friend wants to buy to ride. You might discover that I have been riding long enough to have learned a thing or two along the way.

By the way, my .sig is not exactly accurate. If I change it to make it accurate, I will lose the color. So I will never change it.

P.S. To the mod who would break the rules and delete this post without notifying me, I saved a screen grab.

If that's work, then seriously, we should reconsider the state of grace you lie in respective to more pressing matters.

I think the sig line restrictions were a half-baked idea that someone came up with arbitrarily to make an ego driven point. I don't see any satisfactory explanation so far to refute this premise.

...and I think this and other forum rules threads are a result of people being unwilling to live up to the agreement to live by the rules when they registered for the forum.

We agreed no commercial advertising on the forum and people put commercial ads in their sig lines.

We agreed to have limited sig lines to facilitate introducing ourselves we even allowed pictures smilies and... Limited turned into the abridged version of an encyclopedia for some.

People clamor for freedom of various sorts, claim various obscure rights but are unwilling to shoulder the responsibility that comes along with it. Should we then be surprised that people that lived by the various iterations of the rules expect a set of enforceable rules be put in place? And is it too much to expect that they be enforced?

like the rock man says, you see what you want to see, you hear what you want to hear.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrqRZPF_vi4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VrqRZPF_vi4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Began a more detailed exploration of the section of the Lewis and Clark Trail from about Hamburg Iowa north to the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. Fun!

People clamor for freedom of various sorts, claim various obscure rights but are unwilling to shoulder the responsibility that comes along with it. Should we then be surprised that people that lived by the various iterations of the rules expect a set of enforceable rules be put in place? And is it too much to expect that they be enforced?

That makes sense.

like the rock man says, you see what you want to see, you hear what you want to hear.

I'm cool, man, I'm just takin' it slow and seein' there's a whole world out there.
Dig?

This weekend I graduate, today I submitted my final paper ... and right now I'm going riding.

Cool.

i'd like to hear from you folks what you think the purpose of the signature is. what is your intent and what do you hope to accomplish with it?

Back on point...... Personally I prefer the current model. It makes it easier for me to read through the posts, without as much clutter to wade through.

The pictures, colored fonts, and smilies remind me of some front yards where there are lots of statues and whirligigs and shrubs and the occasional bathtub. Mildly interesting to look at once or twice, but after a few viewings it becomes pollusion for my eyes.

:)

P.S. To the mod who would break the rules and delete this post without notifying me, I saved a screen grab.

i take accusations like this about the way the forums are moderated seriously.

i've got no record of people having "wronged you," i looked at the moderator actions log and you've had two posts deleted by moderators in the last two months.

1. in the election forum where you violated the election forum guidelines by posting chit chat, not a question to a candidate. (i'd chalk this up as an honest mistake on your part as we have different rules in the election forums and what you posted was funny. but it did need to be deleted.)

2. in the photo forum where you posted the shocker photo. again, funny in some contexts but not here. so the post got deleted.

if other posts were deleted, i'd see it.

it is necessary that the next time you hint at, or accuse, the moderation team of impropriety you have data and facts to back it up.

Back on point...... Personally I prefer the current model. It makes it easier for me to read through the posts, without as much clutter to wade through.

The pictures, colored fonts, and smilies remind me of some front yards where there are lots of statues and whirligigs and shrubs and the occasional bathtub. Mildly interesting to look at once or twice, but after a few viewings it becomes pollusion for my eyes.

:)
:ha :ha

Sue, a few months ago, I took the effort ensure that my sig line was free of all unwarranted shrubs and bathtubs. :ha

Back