• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Purpose of the signature

and as everyone knows... it's ALL about you. :rofl

(and jessica simpson....) :heart

And THAT"S what the sig line should be for, because we all know there is not enough bandwidth for full blown, top down, luxurious length HD videos in sig lines.

Although there should be an allowance in the capacity for more text when the majority of the sig line is comprised of just hidden http address to fine poetry in a link.

what if you like looking at "snapshots" of the users but not pages full of garish photos/smilies/other BS in sig lines that look like they came from the ransom letter school of typography and graphic design?

ian

Than lead by example: keep a modest signature and ask them to please tone it down.

It really isn't about bandwidth (although it used to be) as much as it is striking a balance that everyone feels comfortable with, including the legitimate interests of our association.

There needs to be flexibility, and imo, moderators make the final call.

Aren't they called a signature line for a reason?
Back in the day of 1200 baud it was more a business card string. A way to consistently ID the poster.
Now they are turning into Friedrich Nietzsche's abridged works...

Less, says more.

i'd like to hear from you folks what you think the purpose of the signature is. what is your intent and what do you hope to accomplish with it?

i can tell you my view: it's like a bumper sticker on a car, not my autobiography.

jeesh, sorry, forgot to answer the original question.

for me, the .sig line's purpose is to give context to the post and poster... something that describes what's important to know about the person contributing information here.... the bikes I ride and my role in the club.

cool little sayings are another good use.

the profile is the place for more extended information, if one is motivated to provide that.

ian

what you think the purpose of the signature is. what is your intent and what do you hope to accomplish with it?

Most seriously, then:

Purpose: to freely express myself

Intent: to provoke thought

Accomplish: to brighten some fellow rider's day by reading it

On a personal note, I used to get PMs all the time, complimenting my longer signature of a few choice quotes which are no longer able to fit in the space now allotted due to the changes in the rules.

I do think less is more though, and if people really care about WHAT I ride, as opposed to THAT I ride, then that's on them and they can just look at my profile.

But our club is about self moderation, as it should be, and I'm just a bozo on the bus as far as I'm concerned. With all the worries in the world, and my still not relinquishing my bachelorhood in the near future, I think we should simply invoke a random impartial judicial process among the membership with five rider panels to vote on individual signature line objections raised by those huffy members who seem to have nothing better to do with their time.

Love you all.
Peace. :thumb

....I think we should simply invoke a random impartial judicial process among the membership with five rider panels to vote on individual signature line objections raised by those huffy members who seem to have nothing better to do with their time.

hey, did you just volunteer to do something? :laugh

hey, did you just volunteer to do something? :laugh

I think we both know that the jessica simpson ice cream devouring debacle has probably permanently hindered my reputation as someone qualified enough to remain steadfast in their commitment to impartially enforcing the rules of the forum in the capacity of a moderator, so no, I've never even bothered to entertain the notion.
:ha

I think we both know that the jessica simpson ice cream devouring debacle has probably permanently hindered my reputation as someone qualified enough to remain steadfast in their commitment to impartially enforcing the rules of the forum in the capacity of a moderator, so no, I've never even bothered to entertain the notion.
:ha

oh, you can't get out of it THAT easy.

the service needs men like you. :nod

i don't know about rights, but we can agree that it's good to show respect for others when putting on the me show. :)

That's my point exactly. There's no reason for artificial restrictions when social justice is so much more effective.

i'd like to hear from you folks what you think the purpose of the signature is.

I think it should list a person's first name as a minimum along with a small signature line pic of them with or without their motorcycle. Its nice to see who we are talking to. And if they have one, an informative personal web site and/or link.

Back