• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A little Blue Ridge Parkway trip down to the Dragon

Wonderful pictures and wonderful ride. Thanks for posting. A friend and I have been planning out a trip from Top to Bottom of the BRP and Skyline Drive. This certainly helps to push the desire.

I am curious, was there anything you wish you had stopped for/at and did not? In other words, what would you have done differently now in hind sight?

We were pushed a little for time as work schedules were tight on both the front and back end of our trip window; but if we had more time I believe we would have tried to spend a little more time exploring the Southern end (i.e.: grandfather mountain, various water falls, etc.). In the Northern end, maybe Senaca Rocks. In the Southern Central section, Burkes Garden (sp?), the original location Vanderbilt had chosen for his Biltmore estate before building in Ashville. As I understand, pertty much one way in/out to this mountain valley, but supposed to be a beautiful area.

I am sure you will have a great ride, and will be wanting to do it again soon.

I grew up in Brevard, just off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Pisgah National Forest. Lots to do and see in that area, would suggest it as an alternative to Asheville if you need to overnight in the area. Also would recommend the Cherohala Skyway if you get a chance to visit again. And, as Ian said, there are lots better roads than the Dragon. Thanks so much for the memories.....it's a long way from San Antonio.

Nice report. We're going in July and can't wait.
What other roads would everyone suggest other then the "Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway? I did it last year in the rain. It was actually nice, no squids and no LEO's but I'd like to try somewhere else.

One parting shot of my run on the Dragon.....what a blast!

Attachments

• One more run on the Dragon.jpg
    One more run on the Dragon.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 123
Alternatives to the Dragon..

Nice report. We're going in July and can't wait.
What other roads would everyone suggest other then the "Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway? I did it last year in the rain. It was actually nice, no squids and no LEO's but I'd like to try somewhere else.

Some of my favorites include:

Rt. 209 from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs
Rt. 28 from Nantahalla to Franklin
Rt. 276 from Waynesville to Brevard
Rt 74A from Asheville to Lake Lure
Rt 63 from Asheville to Spring Creek

All of these will wear your tires even and put a nice smile on your face. I could go on and on. Enjoy!

AutoTrain

"My buddy, Steve, lives in South Florida so he rode his bike from Ft. Lauderdale to Sanford, FL and boarded himself and his bike (04' R1150R) on the AutoTrain on Sunday afternoon."

Could you share your likes and dislikes about the AutoTrain experience? I have a business trip in NY in a few weeks and was thinking of using the AutoTrain to avoid slabbing along on Rt. 95. I travel 95 all the time on my bike and would prefer to have more days available for touring in rural PA and NY. Thanks for any info you can offer.

My friends comments were as follows:

1) Right now, at this time of year, rates are high heading north, so he only bought a coach seat. He originally wanted a small sleeper roomette, but they wanted another $300 - $400 additional.

2) Do not take/get a seat in a car that is next to the dining car as there are 3 seatings for dinner and breakfast, and there will be a constant parade of gray/white hair with walkers and canes ambling by most of the evening and morning.

3) Food was good!

4) Take an IPod, a DVD player or some other form of entertainment to avoid listening to the people verbalize every little thing that pops in their heads.

5) He managed to get some sleep through the night, but a sleeper car with a small bathroom would have been really nice.

I guess it depends on the time of year and the direction you are heading as to how affordable the sleeper car can be.

Everything said and done, he was glad he took the train as it gave him an extra 2-days of riding back home at a more relaxed pace.

My friends comments were as follows:

1) Right now, at this time of year, rates are high heading north, so he only bought a coach seat. He originally wanted a small sleeper roomette, but they wanted another $300 - $400 additional.

2) Do not take/get a seat in a car that is next to the dining car as there are 3 seatings for dinner and breakfast, and there will be a constant parade of gray/white hair with walkers and canes ambling by most of the evening and morning.

3) Food was good!

4) Take an IPod, a DVD player or some other form of entertainment to avoid listening to the people verbalize every little thing that pops in their heads.

5) He managed to get some sleep through the night, but a sleeper car with a small bathroom would have been really nice.

I guess it depends on the time of year and the direction you are heading as to how affordable the sleeper car can be.

Everything said and done, he was glad he took the train as it gave him an extra 2-days of riding back home at a more relaxed pace.

Very useful and appreciated information! Since you didn't mention anything about the bike, I assume everything worked out well in terms of storage, safety, ease of loading/unloading, etc.

"My buddy, Steve, lives in South Florida so he rode his bike from Ft. Lauderdale to Sanford, FL and boarded himself and his bike (04' R1150R) on the AutoTrain on Sunday afternoon."

Could you share your likes and dislikes about the AutoTrain experience? I have a business trip in NY in a few weeks and was thinking of using the AutoTrain to avoid slabbing along on Rt. 95. I travel 95 all the time on my bike and would prefer to have more days available for touring in rural PA and NY. Thanks for any info you can offer.

If you want some additional info, send me a PM and I put you in direct contact with my buddy. He lives in Coral Springs.

Some of my favorites include:

Rt. 209 from Lake Junaluska to Hot Springs
Rt. 28 from Nantahalla to Franklin
Rt. 276 from Waynesville to Brevard
Rt 74A from Asheville to Lake Lure
Rt 63 from Asheville to Spring Creek

All of these will wear your tires even and put a nice smile on your face. I could go on and on. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I'm counting the days.:dance

Back