• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I want my electronics!

P

pugetmarco

I've just started biking and a 2002 R1150RA is my first bike.

I'm planning some trips with my SO who's riding a 2008 F800ST, and we have fitted Cardo Q2 headsets on our helmets. The Q2's are great so far, high sound quality, voice activation works well, and my unit paired quickly with my iPhone! (only gripe: setting up FM radio presets is an exercise in patience)
Also have a Garmin Zumo 550 on order which I'll set up with a RAM mount.

My questions: I want to be able to use either my iPhone or iPod.
1. How can I charge the iPhone / iPod on the bike?
2. How can I listen to music from the iPhone / iPod via the Cardo Q2?

And since I'm the noob, any other advice is appreciated!

I use my tankbag for my iPod, etc. I installed a Powerlet socket on the bag and then plug it into the bike accessory socket. I have a splitter with two cigarette lighter sockets in the bag, so I can charge two devices at once. Unfortunately, I cannot charge the iPod and listen to it at the same time. I get a very annoying buzz from the bikes electrical system when it is running. There is probably some kind of filter I could use, but I have not pursued that yet.

This is just a suggestion but if you are a new rider you may want to put the gadgets off for a while. Distractions are plentiful enough and you may want keep them minimized, gain expierence. Be safe and ride well first and foremost then you can gadget until your heart is content.

This is just a suggestion but if you are a new rider you may want to put the gadgets off for a while. Distractions are plentiful enough and you may want keep them minimized, gain expierence. Be safe and ride well first and foremost then you can gadget until your heart is content.

+1 what Jim said.

There are too many things going on around you that demand your attention just to be safe. I'd hold off on the gadgets.

While I agree with watching out for distractions for new riders, if your headsets are connected to your zumo, your I-phone will connect to the Zumo via blootooth.

Thank you. You conveyed that in a much nicer way than I would have.

Back