• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Is a 650GS big enough for me?

beeryboats

There is a nice lady in our club, and I've fallen in love. With her bike!!!! It is a little F650GS dual sport. It's just her size after it was lowered. I'm a little challenged by the seat height of my '01 R11RT, but I love it anyway. I was just wondering if the 650 could handle my 200lbs with any kind of gusto. I would love a dual sport, but everyone I've seen is as tall and heavy as my RT, and just as expensive. I could never part with my RT, so I couldn't put a bunch of cash into a second bike like a R1200GS. Is there anyone else out there that rides a 650GS with a little more weight than height?

Hard to say, but . . . I weigh 170 lbs, and routinely tour with 30
or more lbs of gear strapped to the back and in my panniers, and have not once felt like I didn't have enough bike . . . and that's in 24000 miles in 12 months.

Floyd

What do you want to do?
Where do you want to ride?
How much time on road?
How much off?
How long will you ride?
Who will you ride with?
What will you bring with you?

I have a few bikes, including the one you lust for. They are all fantastic in their own right. But they each also have specific uses based on my answers to the above....and your wieight is secondary to the above....

There is a nice lady in our club, and I've fallen in love. With her bike!!!! It is a little F650GS dual sport. It's just her size after it was lowered. I'm a little challenged by the seat height of my '01 R11RT, but I love it anyway. I was just wondering if the 650 could handle my 200lbs with any kind of gusto. I would love a dual sport, but everyone I've seen is as tall and heavy as my RT, and just as expensive. I could never part with my RT, so I couldn't put a bunch of cash into a second bike like a R1200GS. Is there anyone else out there that rides a 650GS with a little more weight than height?

Works for me - I had an RT and moved over to the 650. I am about 200 and have been really happy with its performance - once I dropped the counter-shaft to a 15T for a little better pickup. Great for city and communtes - plus you can take her in the dirt and get dirty.

But... Having ridden the 800GS for a couple days off-road - I would probably get that instead or the new 650 (twin).

No problem with performance

I'm 5'9" and just under 200 lbs. When I go on a trip, I pack on another 100 lbs of gear and have no problems with my 650's performance on road, off road, or even through the mountains of Denali State Park and I still get 57+ mpg.

Little 650 based on what?

I'm 5' 8" and 200+ and the only problem I have doing and going where I want is the permission slip from my wife. On Friday, May 23, I leave for the MN Hiawatha Rally on May 30. I found a shortcut through the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA; then to the Indy 500, then a week on roads with curves in WI, and then to Money Creek, MN and the Rally. June 20-21 will be my 6th D2D in Dawson City, YT. The Dempster Hwy in '04. The Dalton Hwy in '07 (Post a Picture of you Thumper, page 11). Got turned away from Pike's Peak in '05 due to some kind of nonsense about the snow depth on top. Buy it, ride it... ride it...ride it and have fun. Keep it maintained (see f650.com) and you probably won't be able to wear it out in this lifetime.

Toured all through New Zealand on an F650GS.

5'11" and tip the scales at more than anyone who has posted so far! :eat

500 cc used to be a big motorcycle. And the F650GS has no shaft drive to complicate life and add pounds.

I have an F650GS, and love it.

I am around 230lbs with riding gear on. Bike handles the weight no problems.

I have had RTs, big GS, RS, and R. All oilheads. The 650 is a lot easier to ride
than the rest.
Not sure on your height, but low seat available, as well as lowered suspension kit.

And the best part, they are great on fuel.:dance

Little {??!!} F650

I also have driven long distances on my F650GS, with full camp gear. People are surprised that I can ride as fast as "they " do on their much larger BMWs. { Mind you, I'm not talking about 100 plus across Kansas, but 75-80 on most non-southwest interstates. Plenty fast enough.} I tip the scales at 205. BTW, my wife rode a Ninja 250 to Missoula and back in 98. It's all about attitude.

Jim

I'm 5' 8" and 200+ and the only problem I have doing and going where I want is the permission slip from my wife. On Friday, May 23, I leave for the MN Hiawatha Rally on May 30. I found a shortcut through the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA; then to the Indy 500, then a week on roads with curves in WI, and then to Money Creek, MN and the Rally. June 20-21 will be my 6th D2D in Dawson City, YT. The Dempster Hwy in '04. The Dalton Hwy in '07 (Post a Picture of you Thumper, page 11). Got turned away from Pike's Peak in '05 due to some kind of nonsense about the snow depth on top. Buy it, ride it... ride it...ride it and have fun. Keep it maintained (see f650.com) and you probably won't be able to wear it out in this lifetime.

How long are you going to be here for the Indy 500?
Jay

I did a two week tour of New Zealand on a 650GS and was very impressed. I never thought it was underpowered. In fact it probably handled better than most other bikes I have ridden. This should answer your question as I weigh 250 lbs and had full panniers, tank bag, and top box.

To Beeryboats

I should get to west Indy (Chestnut Woods Dr) Sat afternoon, and plan to leave Mon am. My youngest son-in-law's family lives about a mile from the gate. I was planning on cheating and coming in on I-74. It looks like I'll go by Brownsburg approximately mid-afternoon.

I did a two week tour of New Zealand on a 650GS and was very impressed. I never thought it was underpowered. In fact it probably handled better than most other bikes I have ridden. This should answer your question as I weigh 250 lbs and had full panniers, tank bag, and top box.

It sounds like it has plenty of Oomph!
Jay

I should get to west Indy (Chestnut Woods Dr) Sat afternoon, and plan to leave Mon am. My youngest son-in-law's family lives about a mile from the gate. I was planning on cheating and coming in on I-74. It looks like I'll go by Brownsburg approximately mid-afternoon.

We tend to leave town when the big race venues come to town. We will probably be home Monday afternoon. Too bad, I would have loved a visit!
Jay

Go for it.

Go ahead, I am 5'10" and 210 and they are all the power you will need. It is a great bike and lots of power and great handling, too. I have an 06 and love it. I had an 03 before and loved it too. Buy it. love it. see you at the national.

Back