• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Toaster to Prudhoe Bay ?

adventurexpress

Not sure if this is the right place for posting this...but here goes.

Son and I are planning a trip from Cincinnati to Prudhoe Bay June of '09.
I will be riding a 2008 GSAdventure and 22y.o. son will be riding his restored
'72 R60/5. Not so sure about the wisdom of all of this...but the two of us cant wait for the adventure of it all. Obviously the machines are at the opposite ends of the spectrum...but will work to ride together. All of the outdoor stuff is old hat to us...as we have backpacked AK and lower 48 numerous years as part of a long Scouting carreer earning Eagle. On the otherhand...the bike element is all new to us.

We would be interested in hearing from those that have taken an older bike (like the '72 R60/5) on a ride like this... and what if any insight/wisdom you could share.
Im thinking..fundamentally if the bike is mechanically sound...it shouldnt be a problem. My years tell me not to take anything for granted tho...

Anyone taken or taking an oldie North ?

LOL... Thats exactly the type of thing we arent thinking about.

The reality of the situation is... I dont think the kid, no matter how stout... could survive the gravel road on such an old and limited suspension... ?

Maybe we should be thinking of a "Plan B" when the gravel starts.

if his toaster was not restored and you found some enduro. knobbies that would fit the cycle for the 1000 miles of dirt Round trip upthere and back then maybe... since it is restored... it is going to take a beating just getting to AK on the ALCAN if you hit bad weather in constructino zones or even just the construction zones....

YEs there has been most every type of cycle even and R1 up to PB on the Daltion, but everything even the cycles made for that type of road and conditions get beat up in good conditions most of the time... i would see if you could find something more robust that would allow you both to make it up there with out an expensive trailering out if the toaster got toasted per say...

there is a lot of great riding up there anyway on the paved roads... enjoy..

The key word is "restored". I would not take a nice restored bike of any make to Alaska. Even if it doesn't fall down, the stone chips and calcium chloride crud will make make for a second albeit minor restoration. Better to buy a KLR 650 or DR 650, make the trip and sell it upon the return.

Not sure if this is the right place for posting this...but here goes.

Son and I are planning a trip from Cincinnati to Prudhoe Bay June of '09.
I will be riding a 2008 GSAdventure and 22y.o. son will be riding his restored
'72 R60/5. Not so sure about the wisdom of all of this...but the two of us cant wait for the adventure of it all. Obviously the machines are at the opposite ends of the spectrum...but will work to ride together. All of the outdoor stuff is old hat to us...as we have backpacked AK and lower 48 numerous years as part of a long Scouting carreer earning Eagle. On the otherhand...the bike element is all new to us.

We would be interested in hearing from those that have taken an older bike (like the '72 R60/5) on a ride like this... and what if any insight/wisdom you could share.
Im thinking..fundamentally if the bike is mechanically sound...it shouldnt be a problem. My years tell me not to take anything for granted tho...

Anyone taken or taking an oldie North ?

Give the old gal a break. I live at the start of the haul road and there is only one kind of bike I would ride to Prudhoe... someone else's. If the R60 makes the trip to Fairbanks then rent a bike for the haul road.

The R60 would probably make the trip but sounds like he would be returning it to it's previous unrestored condition:D I think I would find something else to take.

Great replies all... We really appreciate it and it is giving us plenty to think about. I hope others continue to add thought on the subject.

A lot of time and effort has gone in to the R60 from all angles.... and SWALLs comment about frame chips from the haul road...just made me think of that beautoful powder coated frame turning to crap.... not to mention a potential spill turning paint, bead blast work and polish turn to tears. Heck ... I may put my father foot down and tell him to rent from Fairbanks as someone posted.

The more I read your comments the more Im thinking ...how crazy we would be to subject to anything other than asphalt.

Keep the ideas and comments coming.
Thanks

The Toaster will be Toast

The key word is "restored". I would not take a nice restored bike of any make to Alaska. Even if it doesn't fall down, the stone chips and calcium chloride crud will make make for a second albeit minor restoration. Better to buy a KLR 650 or DR 650, make the trip and sell it upon the return.

+ 1 :thumb

Keep those old /5 airheads on the pavement. The haul road takes a toll on everything that runs on it and a 35 year old bike will be no exception. Do yourself and son a favor, get him that KLR (new or used) for the trip and sell it after you get home. You sure don't want the trip of a lifetime to be your worst nightmare and if you take that /5 on the haul road, that's what it'll be.

Bigfoot...... thats probably advice we'll take and that we would do well by. Dont want a trip like this to be one remembered for its misery.
Thanks

Last summer we took a trio of airheads and a klr into copper canyon and saw far worse roads then you will. One was a 76 750/6. The bike will make it fine with some avon distanzas. Due to the bikes lightness and repairability on the road maybe even better then the adventure. You will however do some cosmetic damage and if by restoration you mean full paint etc, and not just mechanical I would consider keeping the bike on pavement.

Back