• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

need a route in PA ... help

M

mantoronto

I am off to Pittsburg PA from May 23-26, I taking my bike (because its more fun) and need some advice on some routes to get there.

Don't want to travel the super slabs...so any scenic routes, places to stop and visit/eat would be great.

I'll be travelling from Toronto Canada, through the Buffalo area south to Olean to start...so from Olean to Pittsburg. I will have some time to tour as well over the weekend...so anyone that could recommend some nice routes in the Pittsburg area it would be very appreciated.

thanks to everyone in advance

US Rte 6 was a nice road across the state when I took it a few weeks ago. Can't help you with N/S roads in western PA. 209 through the Delaware Water Gap is nice in the east.

I am off to Pittsburg PA from May 23-26, I taking my bike (because its more fun) and need some advice on some routes to get there.

Don't want to travel the super slabs...so any scenic routes, places to stop and visit/eat would be great.

I'll be travelling from Toronto Canada, through the Buffalo area south to Olean to start...so from Olean to Pittsburg. I will have some time to tour as well over the weekend...so anyone that could recommend some nice routes in the Pittsburg area it would be very appreciated.

thanks to everyone in advance

check your email,

tony

From Olean you have some nice roads to ride into Pittsburgh. take NY 305 to PA 446to Coryville, then take PA 46 all the way down to Emporium At Emporium take PA 120 to Driftwood and hook up on PA 555 west to Caledonia and then Weedville. PA 555 to PA 255 all the way into Dubois. At Dubois take PA 119 to Punxsatawny and visit Phil. At Punxy take PA 119 south about 4 miles and turn right on PA 210 take PA 210 down to Plumville. Continue on 85/210 to Elderton. If you want give me a call and I'll ride with you from Plumville. I live about 10 miles from there on a farm. Continue on 210 to 56 West and take it to Apollo, PA, named after the greek god. About 4 miles southwest of Apollo pick up PA 380 into Pittsburgh. Call or PM me if you need anything else. I live in Rural Valley, PA off of PA 85 between Plumville and Kittanning. If You want some alternate routes let me know but those above are all great rides. have fun! Watch out for Elk and Deer on the road!

In 2006 I used NY/PA 219 to go south from Buffalo to the Seven Springs/Laurel Hill rally site east of Pttsburgh. I wondered if going over to PA 119 south of Dubois for a while until picking up on PA 711 down to Donegal would have been better. Or branching off PA 219 south of Cherry Tree and get onto PA 403 to lead to PA 711?

We had great riding at the Rally in the area bounded by Shanksville, Meyersdale, Uniontown and Connellsvile on lots of roads with apparently no numbers including one which took us over Mt. Davis (el.3213' - highest point in PA) in the driving rain. Beautiful country, roads lined with rhododendrons and thick with swallowtail butterflies - and deer.

PT9766

219 can be nice but it can also be one coal truck after another.
403 to 711 would be a better route than 119 in my opinion.
Laurel Highlands Rally is about 40 days away. Hope you can attend again.
www.lhbmwr.com
jason

If you don`t mind going a little further East,you could take 417 out of Olean to PA44 south til it joins w/PA144. 144 is one of the BEST roads in Pa.Follow 144 south to Renovo,then take 120 west toDriftwood,where you`ll take 555 to Weedville. Then hit 255 to Dubois,to 119south. After Punxatawney,stay on 119 a few miles and turn right on 210 to 954 thru Amish country.954 joins back 210.follow that to156. Turn right on 156 to Apollo.Now you are within 30 miles of Pgh. I think this would be a twisty,scenic way to get there. Like was said above,watch out for critters!Deer,elk and bear frequent this area.Enjoy!

I lived in the area through which I routed you back channel and traversed the roads others have provided. Two things warrant additional emphasis, though already noted: watch out for the freakin' coal trucks!!!!! especially those coming down hill toward you. they will be often fully laden, going fast as hell so as to get up the side w/ fewer downshifts and will produce a dramatic wind blast as you pass them, especially toward the bottom of the hill. while PA requires that the coal load be covered, don't count on it. Second, deer and black bear, abound in the northern tier, especially the closer you are to state forests.

be safe,

tony

rgvilla gave you some great routes, especially 119 and 85. i live just outside pittsburgh, pm me and maybe we can meet for a ride, coffee, meal.

another nice trip would be to go over to McKean PA on Route 6 then down 66 throught the Allegheny National Forest. There are many nice two lane back roads all the way down to Cook Forest and into Clarion, PA. Take a look at a map of the area between McKean and Clarion, you can stop at the Zippo lighter factory in Mckean, it is a fun stop. There is also the WW2 Museum in Eldred PA, 85 miles south of Niagra Falls. This museum is free and well worth the stop if you enjoy history. I spent a whole afternoon there a couple of years ago on my way to the finger lakes rally.
Turns out I'm heading for the Cass rally in West Virginia on the 22nd so won't be around. Have a safe trip.

Last edited:
If you don`t mind going a little further East,you could take 417 out of Olean to PA44 south til it joins w/PA144. 144 is one of the BEST roads in Pa.Follow 144 south to Renovo,......................

Yes great roads, but the BEST part is the 144 South of Renovo, a MUST do if you like twisties. If you want to take a little more time around central pa, I can offer some other suggestions.

Yes great roads, but the BEST part is the 144 South of Renovo, a MUST do if you like twisties. If you want to take a little more time around central pa, I can offer some other suggestions.

Pffog is right, 144 between U.S. 6 and I-80 is my absolute favorite ride in this part of PA. It is usually my first ride of the spring. I usually branch off at Renovo and take 120 west to get closer to home and hook up with 555, all are awesome roads for twisties and scenery. State Park camping abounds in the area, so if you are camping you can find some nice places.

Pffog is right, 144 between U.S. 6 and I-80 is my absolute favorite ride in this part of PA. It is usually my first ride of the spring. I usually branch off at Renovo and take 120 west to get closer to home and hook up with 555, all are awesome roads for twisties and scenery. State Park camping abounds in the area, so if you are camping you can find some nice places.

And if you are in Renovo at meal time, stop at Yesterdays, on the very west end of town. Good food, great home made soups, and rider friendly.

Did I read this correct, that you have the weekend to get between Toronto and P"burgh?? If so and you don't mind back roads and a route that looks like it was plotted by a bumble bee on LSD, I will put some stuff together.

Back