Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Not a fatality if wearing a helmet?

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197 bogthebasher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Like so many things nowadays, the “writers” are writing content without any real understanding of what they are writing about. Recently, it was announced that the motorcyclist involved in a crash wasn’t wearing a seatbelt
    I frequently wonder of the fun if I could get into the TelePrompTer feed
    OM
    Many of these instances are because the 'easy or repeatable instances' are now being written by AI. You may be surprised how much information we read on line AND in reputable news and information outlets are not written by humans. What is worse is when AI is used for the Editor function as well.
    Ken Dittrick
    2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blau)

Excuses are the rocks upon which our dreams are crushed - Tim Fargo

Quote Originally Posted by scqtt View Post
    I'm not, and I wont go into how the anecdotal speculation of those groups may provide usable data, but little in the way of conclusions. As an engineer, you should feel the same.
    While a layperson may not understand all the details of a given process, it's typically a great success when they walk away with a general understanding of the physics and enough knowledge to make smart decisions. Thus, it's critical for the technical person to relay information in a manner that conveys critical content without the added baggage of technical details which may confuse the layperson in the audience.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

ZWEI KOLBEN
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    While a layperson may not understand all the details of a given process, it's typically a great success when they walk away with a general understanding of the physics and enough knowledge to make smart decisions. Thus, it's critical for the technical person to relay information in a manner that conveys critical content without the added baggage of technical details which may confuse the layperson in the audience.

I'll keep that in mind. You seem to be a dog-gone expert in any topic that arises, from tractors to accident investigation to the health of the motorcycle industry and now you are venturing into medical opinion. I'm not certain why anyone else posts, you have all the knowledge. If anyone contradicts anything you say, you fall back on 38 years of engineering and 48 years of riding.

I'm sure if their were a breast feeding thread on here, you'd have all the answers for that too.

I'll keep that in mind. You seem to be a dog-gone expert in any topic that arises, from tractors to accident investigation to the health of the motorcycle industry and now you are venturing into medical opinion. I'm not certain why anyone else posts, you have all the knowledge. If anyone contradicts anything you say, you fall back on 38 years of engineering and 48 years of riding.

I'm sure if their were a breast feeding thread on here, you'd have all the answers for that too.
    Meaning a friendly jest to be enjoyed by all reading on, I have to ask. Have you ever met an engineer?

Quote Originally Posted by jr31 View Post
    Meaning a friendly jest to be enjoyed by all reading on, I have to ask. Have you ever met an engineer?
    I doubt that he has. He asked me a question about the follow-on processes to reproduction.

BTW - That was a joke.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Statistically speaking using a helmet 100% of the time, having ZERO alcohol in your body and having an actual motorcycle license means you will never be killed in a motorcycle accident, there are always exceptions, but in most fatal motorcycle accidents one or more of these three things are often at play. If you know this you can manage (decrease) the risk of riding a motorcycle a huge amount by simply staying on the correct side of those factors.
    I don't think the motorcycle license is a factor. Such minimum skills are needed to pass most tests makes it a joke. I agree a helmet, sober and good protective gear are important. It takes lots of training and experience to help make a rider safer. However there are times when s**t happens and nothing except not being exposed would have helped.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

ZWEI KOLBEN
    Quote Originally Posted by bdfbeemer View Post
    I don't think the motorcycle license is a factor. Such minimum skills are needed to pass most tests makes it a joke. I agree a helmet, sober and good protective gear are important. It takes lots of training and experience to help make a rider safer. However there are times when s**t happens and nothing except not being exposed would have helped.

Well its statistics, so it really does matter. Not having a license is a big factor in deadly motorcycle accidents. Perhaps it is just an indicator of one's seriousness toward learning the skill needed, but none the less it is a factor.

I'm sure there are tons of people that do not have an official motorcycle license that can ride very well, I'm sure there are people who ride well after having a couple beers, and I'm sure that there are people who have crashed without helmets and are just fine. I'm not suggesting helmets/alcohol/license is the total solution or problem, I'm just saying statistically speaking those are the top three indicators for deadly motorcycle accidents.

Well its statistics, so it really does matter. Not having a license is a big factor in deadly motorcycle accidents. Perhaps it is just an indicator of one's seriousness toward learning the skill needed, but none the less it is a factor.

I'm sure there are tons of people that do not have an official motorcycle license that can ride very well, I'm sure there are people who ride well after having a couple beers, and I'm sure that there are people who have crashed without helmets and are just fine. I'm not suggesting helmets/alcohol/license is the total solution or problem, I'm just saying statistically speaking those are the top three indicators for deadly motorcycle accidents.
    I liked the logic of your statistical observation, and indeed found some comfort in it (I don't drink wear my gear and have an MC license). I AM curious about the source of the license factor- the other two are typically mentioned in most reportage- I've never heard the license mentioned (unless an illegal immigrant was driving- where ,till recently, lack of license could be assumed. So where'd you get that one as a significant factor?

Well, I stayed in a Holiday Inn last night- and lemme tell ya' about breast feeding...

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    I liked the logic of your statistical observation, and indeed found some comfort in it (I don't drink wear my gear and have an MC license). I AM curious about the source of the license factor- the other two are typically mentioned in most reportage- I've never heard the license mentioned (unless an illegal immigrant was driving- where ,till recently, lack of license could be assumed. So where'd you get that one as a significant factor?
    I can answer that - it's a finding from safety studies of motorcycle accidents, starting with the Hurt Report.
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Knock it off! Don't malign folks who's approach is different that your own. I do know engineers who make sense, and I do know engineers who make no sense at all to me. I also know 8th grade graduates who make sense and high school grads and college grads that don't.

I happen to have an advanced degree in a non engineering field that focuses on problem solving, be it health care or infrastructure, or nuclear proliferation. It is not the topic. It is the process. I am not at all interested in anecdotes or opinions. I look for facts and conclusions based on those facts. The rest is nonsense. Carry on.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    http://www.motorcycleinstitute.org/data/

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812046

http://www.motorcycleinstitute.org/data/#data

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api...ication/812785

Relative to the license issue, I can't speak for all states, but in PA you can purchase a MC without a MC endorsement on your drivers license. IIRC about 25% of our crash fatalities are riders that have never bothered get an MC endorsement.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post

Relative to the license issue, I can't speak for all states, but in PA you can purchase a MC without a MC endorsement on your drivers license. IIRC about 25% of our crash fatalities are riders that have never bothered get an MC endorsement.
    But is the lack of an MC endorsement causation, or simply an artifact? (Correlation does not equal causation in many cases.) In your example, a person buys a new bike in PA without a license, but with the intention of practicing a bit before applying for the endorsement. During those practice sessions, he is killed in a crash.

Is the lack of an endorsement a contributing factor...or the lack of experience? Much of the crash data measure one, but not the other.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet
    '15 Honda CRF250L for exploring places I'm afraid to take the big GSA!
    http://travelswithbarley.com/

I wonder if there is any correlation between accidents and miles ridden? I would think that experience would reduce the chances of an accident.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    I can answer that - it's a finding from safety studies of motorcycle accidents, starting with the Hurt Report.
    Thx. I guess I have hit the invincibility trifecta. Ha I wish!