Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heated Vest

Heated Vest

I'm looking to buy a heated vest. My search through the forum for prior reviews came up empty? Any recommendations on a good one. Thanks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Have a look at the "Similar Threads" pane at the bottom of the page. You can search the "Tag Cloud" as well. As soon as you type in Heat, the possibilities appear.
    Good luck.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gerbing used to be good but they have changed hands several times and I don't know if the current company is good.
    I think the current company is Gyde.

If we had to replace our gear I would probably buy Warm and Safe.
    https://www.warmnsafe.com/
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

You can buy a Widder vest at the Iron Butt Association's online store. Mike Kneebone bought the Widder stock when the went out of business. Under $75 for non-members and $70 for members. The Widder gear uses their own connector for power which comes with the vest along with an on/off switch. If you prefer it to have a coaxial conector that can be used with a controller, then they are available from Ken Phenix for $80-85. Ken is on Facebook. Widder gear is of very high quality.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Never have more ambition than adhesion.

I just bought a Warm & Safe set up (dual controller, waterproof jacket, power port) and it was, literally, the best money I ever spent on motorcycle gear. That and they have OUTSTANDING customer support.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

+1 on Warm & Safe. And you really want a jacket liner, with sleeves, and not a vest. Makes a world of difference!

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Have a look at the "Similar Threads" pane at the bottom of the page. You can search the "Tag Cloud" as well. As soon as you type in Heat, the possibilities appear.
    Good luck.
    OM
    Gerbing and Warmnsafe are also featured through the Tag Cloud as well.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

NOS Widder cannot be beat, price is right as well. My wife bought me a vest and arm chaps in 1999, I'm still running them with no issues what so ever.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Rally Rat
    I'm new to heated gear, but my Venture Heat jacket and pants worked well this fall. The pants are over kill for me, but the jacket is fantastic. Jacket purchase price includes remote controller and battery pigtail.

The original founder of Gerbing has a new company with the same, good ole fashioned service and quality from their beginnings. I found out Gerbing changed ownership in '14 and then experienced it, first hand, a few years later. When my gloves give out, I will go with
    https://www.gordonsheated.com/index.php
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

+ 3 on Warm 'n' Safe. My Gerbings controller quit (in my opinion, rather prematurely), so I went with Warm 'n' Safe jacket and I have been very pleased. I also use the wireless controller, which sits conveniently on my brake fluid reservoir via a small patch of Velcro.

Regardless of what brand you go with, I would recommend a full jacket rather than just the vest (in fact, I don't believe Warm 'n' Safe even makes a vest). Having heat on the arms doesn't cost all that much more than a vest and, IMHO, it's additional money well spent. After all, you're buying it to keep warm.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

When you buy new heated gear, it’s a great time to get yourself a connection wired directly to the battery. The connection can run the heated gear or provide a way to connect a battery maintainer.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

What ever brand you buy, DO NOT BUY A VEST! Buy a jacket with sleeves! I have a Warm and Safe with the wireless remote controller. I Velcro the controller to the handle bar so I can easily reach it. It is so much better than having the controller inline on he power cord.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Thanks guys for the input. I'm very intrigued by the Warm and Safe heated shirt, that might work for me. What's the deal with extra battery harness, do they break or do you lose them frequently? Is this something that I should get right away?

I was also looking at the Kanetsu vest from Aerostich, anybody tried that?