• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stop suggestions

ALCHIEBOY

Hey all,
Following link shows the route I'm planning on taking (plotted on Google Map and accessed via tinyurl.com to shorten the URL):

http://tiny.cc/ewL48

So far, I have penciled in:
Arches
Canyonland
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Death Valley
From Bakersfield to Santa Maria, I'm thinking of going down south a bit more so I can hit Solvang and at least get a pic of my bike on Pismo Beach
Hearst Castle
Monteray Bay acquarium
Stop in SF is a must to see friends
ride through Napa Valley
Stop in Sacramento is a must to see friends
Lake Tahoe
Highway 50
Great Basin

Do you have any must-stop points (scenaries, historical sites, eateries, etc) along this route?

Thanks!
Eric

Last edited:
that looks like an awesome trip. i hope you have a lot of time, there is a lot to see! i've attached a screen shot of your route so people can view it directly in the thread and comment.

route.jpg

and i'll recommend taking a quick spin through colorado nat'l monument in grand junction, arches nat'l monument in moab, and also canyonlands in utah. anything on the coast of california is nice. you'll get to see plenty of redwood trees, ocean cliffs, and all that good stuff.

you have to share your photos with us when you get back!

Hey all,
Following link shows the route I'm planning on taking (plotted on Google Map and accessed via tinyurl.com to shorten the URL):

http://tiny.cc/ewL48

So far, I have penciled in:
Arches
Canyonland
Bryce Canyon
Zion
Death Valley
From Bakersfield to Santa Maria, I'm thinking of going down south a bit more so I can hit Solvang and at least get a pic of my bike on Pismo Beach
Hearst Castle
Monteray Bay acquarium
Stop in SF is a must to see friends
ride through Napa Valley
Stop in Sacramento is a must to see friends
Lake Tahoe
Highway 50
Great Basin

Do you have any must-stop points (scenaries, historical sites, eateries, etc) along this route?

Thanks!
Eric

What are you riding?

The road north from Burr Trail is sometimes filled to the brim with this:
bikedown2.jpg

Unless you're trying to make time getting back, or you've seen much of it before, the passes over the Sierra are not to be missed. There is *no* reason to use I-80 when Ebbett's, Sonora, etc. are right there. At the least, I'd probably change the routing between F & G to include going up 395 and over CA 4 or?

Eric -

Your trip looks great, but here are some suggestions for the So. Calif. part:

Beatty, NV W. through Death Valley
S. on 395
W. on 178 through the Lake Isabella area to Bakersfield
W. on 58 from Bfield to Atascadero, CA (or, to Creston then Atascadero)
W. on 41 or 46 to Hwy. 1 at Morro Bay or Cambria

I think those mods would make a more scenic ride and not cost much extra time.

As to where to stop, I stayed at the new Motel 6 in Beatty last year and would do so again. For the rest of the SoCal loop the range of motels is pretty much like everywhere else until Hwy. 1. Then you find the quaint and expensive, particularly on weekends. If you're going to be camping, AAA has some good campground maps.

if you haven't been there before (and even if you have) an excursion thru Yosemite is a not-to-be-missed experience. Pop out the eastern road via Tolume Meadows, get your gourmet lunch (i like the oyster po' boy) at the gas station at the bottom of the road (while watching the trapeze acts!), and then head north to catch back up with 50 thru NV (don't forget the shoe tree!)

I agree with the Yosemite route. After Sacramento, continue south past Stockton. Take Highway 120 East - goes to Yosemite. Take a run through the valley, then back a bit to re-get Hwy 120 through Tuolumne Meadow and out the east entrance/exit (tioga Pass - at 9950 ft altitude). Down to Hwy 395 north. You will get back to your indicated route.

Here's the Yosemite link: http://www.nps.gov/yose/index.htm

View near the park entrance, Half Dome in the distance; "The Crew" from last year's ride, at Glacier Point looking east, Half Dome right behind.

Attachments

• Yosemite Duo.jpg
    Yosemite Duo.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 148
I've ridden a lot of the roads North of I-70, it's more fun than the Interstate. Take a look at going through Price, Dinosaur, Vernal, Steamboat Springs, Kremmling, Granby (either direction). You don't mention if you are camping, some of the best camping I've done is in Utah, at Duchesne and there is a campground near the Lehman Cave in Great Basin. The cave is Cool, literally!

When are you going?

Death Valley is worth seeing, but it can get VERY hot in the Summer.

The National Weather Service reports that July is the hottest month, with an average high of 114.9 ??F (46.1 ??C). and an average low of 86.3 ??F (30.2 ??C). December is the coldest month, with an average high of 65.1 ??F (18.4 ??C) and an average low of 37.5 ??F (3.1 ??C). The record low at the Furnace Creek Inn is 15 ??F (-9.4 ??C). There are an average of 189.3 days annually with highs of 90 ??F (32.2 ??C) or higher and 138 days annually with highs of 100 ??F (37.8 ??C). or higher. Freezing temperatures (32 ??F/0 ??C or lower) occur on an average of 11.7 days annually.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_National_Park

As other posters mentioned, the Yosemite route is a not to be missed ride.

Eric-
You will not be disappointed, as Yosemite is one of the very grandest of the National Parks. Leave via Tioga Pass/Tolumne Meadows. The end of the road intersects with US 395. At that intersection is (or at least "was" last time i went thru) a gas station/store. But they have some high end chef from New Orleans doing the menu. the food is outstanding! And outside, they have a trampoline/trapeze set up on the lawn, with some professional trapeze artists that will do their thing. I believe you can also pay for some trap time if you want it.

Santa Cruz

Between Monterey and SF stop in Santa Cruz and check out the last boardwalk on the west coast. If you are a roller coaster fan, ride the Big Dipper. It's an old school coaster with wooden supports. Make sure you note the rust on the lag bolts on that long, slow, first climb. Also, the carousel actually has a chute that brass rings roll down that you can grab and then throw at a clown face and if you get it in his mouth, his nose lights up.

you are going right by a camping spot in nevada that i enjoyed very much.

the ruby mountain scenic area is just a bit nw of the great basin park.

that NV229 road off of US93 is a great road.

the light grey lines on the map are often-times dirt, but easily rideable on any bike. it ultimately connects with US50 just northwest of Ely. if you like remote, this is *it*!!!

ruby_mountain.gif

:thumb

the burr trail is a great ride!

experienced riders only, though.....

The trail is fine, IIRC, it's the road at the end that can give you fits. The way south is more traveled and cleaner. The way north... can be interesting. :D

I love posting this photo

burr.jpg

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I am off on this journey in just a few more hours. :eat

I've told my friends in Sacramento "see ya next time" and will run through Yosemite instead. It was either play with a baby or go ga-ga like a baby while riding through the park.

Will post pics when I get a chance.

Thanks!

Back