• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nut blues.

dorongrudo

Capt. Grudo
While replacing the rear shock on my 1991 K75, I made a mistake and torqued the nuts to 77 ft-Lb. Two days later I discovered my mistake. I loosened the nuts and retightened them to 39 ft-Lb. My questions are:
1. Did I damage the threads.
2. Do I have to replace the bolts.
3. If #2 is yes, how do I extract the lower stud and where do I get replacement nuts and bolts.

Thanks in advance

Doron Grudo

A bolt the size of the shock mount should be able to take 77 ft-lbs. If the bolt isn't broken and the threads aren't stripped I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like neither is the case.

Ralph Sims

Ditto to not worrying about it, but the studs and bolts are available from BMW parts.

Back