• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"Removal tool" R1100RTL radio

latelifecrisis

This is my first thread, so if I mess up in some way please let me know. I purchased a 96' R 1100 RTL ( the L I am told means it has a BMW radio/cassett) in Nov 2003. The radio was supposed to come with a special "removal tool" that allows the radio to be quickly removed. The tool looks like two u-shaped coat hangers connected by a chain. I have tried two BMW dealers , and both have said the part is no longer available. Several days ago I was checking out A&S (Roseville, CA) for goodies for my bike and I found a listing for the radio for about $800. I called them and they said it came with the part I need, but the "removal tool" is still not available as a seperate item. Any suggestions as to where I might find ths item? My real intent is to sell the radio and all the handelbar contols at a fair price, but I think i would have a better chance if I can find a "removal tool". Thanks in advance ro the help.

Removal Tool

It hsould be with the owners manual. The RT radio for you RT is the same as the K1100LT, and it sure looked the same as the removal tools for the 300 series cars. I'd check with your local BMW club, or a good car stereo shop, they should have the removal tools. JON

The RT radio for you RT is the same as the K1100LT,

Absolutely Right!!! I had an 1100LT.....

It's no biggie taking out the radio... use two long skinnie strong (can't bend) rods on each side,(to release the locking prongs on the side of the radio rack) to get loose then do the same on the other side, and the radio will come up from the frame and right out.

Big Problem is not having the security CODE Number to activate the radio!!!!!

Yes Kid's!!! Once "POWER" has been disconnected from the BMW brand Radio, it's useless without the Security Code .
In other words, if the radio was ever stolen by a thief, the radio is useless without the Code to program the radio back on..

Thank you for the information. I will try the dealer once again in hopes that they have a listing for the "tool" under the K1100LT. If this fails it's off to Home Depot for some rods and a do it yourself fix. Thanks again for the help. I can see this Forum is going to be a big help with questions and problems that arise.

Whoever installs radios in cars will have it. Circuit City,Best Buy.Most high school kids with traveling stereos would be able to pop one out in a flash.:bliss

I went to a custom auto stereo store and they were able to order the removal tool. Just for reference the "Ford " tool works perfect on the BMW radio. Thanks again for the help.:clap

Back