• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First time K1200RS owner

medwards1969

I just acquired my 2003 K1200RS a few days ago off an E-Bay deal, with 11.5K miles on it. For those unfamiliar with E-Bay here is the essential trick: you have got to make one bid to "test" the market, in case there are just no buyers around. Then, essentially, you make your play in the last 30 seconds of the auction. If you try to become the leading bidder going into the last minute, you have a pretty good chance of being snipered in the last minute or so by a lingering bidder waiting until the last 30 seconds. So, you may want to throw in your own last minute bid in the last 30 seconds, and then may the man with the most toys win!

BMW leased this bike in March 2004 and in January 2005 it was turned back in, bone stock. I had mucho trouble getting the bike running due to a low battery and some other problems like my not knowing much at all about these bikes!

Today I finally got the bike inspected, and I took it out for about a 100 mile ride around Port Aransas TX here on North Padre Island, and around Corpus Christi. What a surprise, I came accross a gagle of Gold Wing riders while out there. Well, it is riding season!

The K1200RS impresses me as a heavy but powerful bike. Since Corpus is so damn windy, the extra weight actually helps. But, high winds are not much fun to ride in. Take her up to 80 in a 20 mph wind and you have some serious buffeting! Now I know how those dudes at this years Daytona 200 were feeling!

My previous BMW back in the 80's was an old 1976 R60/6, arguably the smoothest boxer they ever made. The K1200RS does not have that "Airplane Wings" feeling that the boxer gives you, but the K1200RS is also a pretty smooth bike. Lots of power on tap compared to the old R60 that's for sure! But then, the R60's Continentals could last as much as 13,000 miles as I recall. I wonder why? :) I am going to find out: Power costs money.

Is the K1200RS a crotch rocket? Well, maybe, but it impresses me as a little too heavy for that. My impression is that the sport boxers are probably a lot easier to ride.

Mine came with the saddle bags, which are pretty cool. I instantly realized, though, that a top-box like the one my R60/6 had as an accessory is actually a better piece of luggage, conceptually. I guess I will be going to get a Givi. Why? Well, a top box on a rear luggage rack is easy to fiddle with you are standing around the bike, easier opening is from the top, and of course it can hold the helmet, gloves, and rain gear when you are in the restuarant. When you are on the bike it holds beer and food a lot easier. What a nifty fact of riding that has not changed ever! But it does hang out there :cry

In these 20 mph winds, I realized that my cheapie XXL HJC helmet got too loose at 80 mph. I have a XL Shoei helmet that I plan to wear on my next ride, that is a tight fitter. I hope that helps, a tight fitting helmet. Are ear plugs a good idea?

Also, I realized that riding 100 mph is not much fun unless you are gonna ride in still-air weather. That pretty much eliminates Corpus Christi man, don't even thing about it! This is the wind-surfing capital! I am heading to the hill country!

OK guys, now for the 64,000 question, what is the ratio of the maintenance costs for the 2003 K1200RS vs. the maintenance costs for a 2008 R1200GS ? I know the market values are this: right now the GS would cost twice as much money to just get one. That is an amazing fact: The K1200RS on the used market is really a pretty good buy right now. I got mine for under $8000.

The one thing I can't believe is the dual disk brakes on the K1200RS. You can operate them with one or two fingers! Hydraulic assist ABS man this thing has professional brakes. The old R60/6 of 1976 vintage had drum brakes. Believe me these disc brakes are like coming from another world. I have lot to learn to ride the K1200RS.:bottle
Mark

ear plugs

I wear ear plugs all the time it's proven that the wind in your ear's cause's hearing loss and fatiuge to the rider. I know personaly that after riding with ear plugs all day i feel alot fresher than without them.

Mark, I bought my '03 K12RS one year and 18K miles ago. The two changes that really made the bike "sweet" are the GT windscreen and the new seat. It came with a tank bag and soft top case. The GT windscreen really cuts down on the buffeting and only cost $160 from the dealer.

Living in Kansas, riding in high wind is the norm. With our mostly straight roads, it is how we keep our tires rounded off.:D

Tom

Pictures? You can't post about a new bike and not show pictures!! :p I have a '00 K12RS, slight changes in the front end and brakes from your newer one. I added a top case to mine as well, but actually prefer the side bags when I don't need the extra storage as I like the center of gravity lower. I added a Laminar Lip to reduce buffeting, helped some, not magic or anything. I also added Throttle Meister weighted bar ends, Two Brother's Racing Ti exhaust (reduced weight 16 lbs.), the 5.5" wide rear wheel and a Corbin seat. I could live without the increased sound levels of the Two Bros. most of the time, but I do like the way it sounds as I accelerate away from other bikes......:heart I also wear ear plugs most of the time, and so the louder exhaust doesn't bother me.

You'll find you can do most/all of the maintenance if you want to. Get a Clymer manual and a few specialized tools and it is an easy enough bike to work on.

Welcome aboard, enjoy the new ride!

ALWAYS wear ear plugs. You're ride will be much more comfortable and enjoyable. You'll still be able to hear the engine and any emergency vehicles and horns. The only trick is to find a pair of ear plugs that are comfortable for you.

The K1200RS was one of the best bikes I've ever owned. I rode it cross country and on numerous 1000+ mile trips............Fantastic touring bike..........until someone left turned right infront of me on the highway for a left exit..........BANG!...no more K1200RS.....:cry

But you're correct, you can but a 2002, 03 for under $8K.........Sometime a lot under. I just passed on an 02 with 3000 miles for $6900.........If it was black, it would be in the garage!

P7200059-vi.jpg

131-vi.jpg

Back