• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS - Looking for an Opinion

I have not seen anyone using the GPSMAP 60CSX. I mount it with a Ram-Mount, and love it. Waterproof, rugged, and can plan your routs on MapSource with ease. I think I paid around $300.00 about three or four years ago.

+1 on the 60CX. It's not dumbed-down like the Zumo and Nuvi models. I like that the pages are full customizable to show the data I want, not what Garmin decided I should see.

The automatic "back-on-course" correction is so slow that I keep it turned off. It's easier to look at the map, see where you are, and where you ought to be

One more related con... If you are navigating a route and drive by your route stop point the PN-60 wants to route you back. If you also had automatic "back-on-course" correction turned on the GPS becomes useless until you stop and turn off navigation. I agree that keeping the back-on-course calculation off is best with this GPS on a bike. Hiking might be different.

There is a version of the PN-60 that comes with a SPOT device, such that the SPOT is controlled by the GPS. That might interest some folks.

Unlike my previous garmin unit, the PN-60 doesn't want to tell me I'm going 747 MPH. Also, for a while I had both the garmin and PN-60 units mounted on the bike. The PN-60 track logs were much more accurate than the garmin track logs. Example: http://www.snafu.org/gps/
Compare the blue (DeLorme PN-60) vs the green (Garmin GPSMap 276C w/powered antenna). You can zoom in and out out and move around on the map to show more of the track logs.

Nuvi 500/550

I haven't seen anyone mention the Garmin Nuvi 500/550. Garmin site says it's waterproof (suitable for marine use) and suitable for MC use (does not mention vibration).
The 500/550 (500 has 48 states and topo maps, 550 all north America w/o topo).
The units are basic, no radio, no bluetoooth no enhancements (sorta like the old 2600 series Streetpilots), just a plain GPS.
On Amazon right now they're going for under $280.

+1 on the 60CX. It's not dumbed-down like the Zumo and Nuvi models. I like that the pages are full customizable to show the data I want, not what Garmin decided I should see.

From online pics it looks like the screen is smaller than a standard 3.5" Garmin unit (specs are 2.7" screen). Is it easy to see on a bike?

I haven't seen anyone mention the Garmin Nuvi 500/550. Garmin site says it's waterproof (suitable for marine use) and suitable for MC use (does not mention vibration).
The 500/550 (500 has 48 states and topo maps, 550 all north America w/o topo).
The units are basic, no radio, no bluetoooth no enhancements (sorta like the old 2600 series Streetpilots), just a plain GPS.
On Amazon right now they're going for under $280.

REI has them for $250

Please excuse me if this has already been stated...Cycle Gadgets is out of business. That being said, I got my ZUMO 450 off of E-Bay for $399.95 w/free shipping 2 1/2 yrs ago. :thumb

From online pics it looks like the screen is smaller than a standard 3.5" Garmin unit (specs are 2.7" screen). Is it easy to see on a bike?

Really easy to read. The screen may be smaller, but the layout is vertical, rather than horizontal. That means it displays what's in front of you rather that what's off to the side. I'm more interested in what's in front.

The screen on the 60CX is about 2 1/2" high. My wife has a wide-screen Nuvi with a 4 1/2" diagonal measurement. Top to bottom that screen measures 2 1/4", so with the 60CX you can actually see farther ahead.

Progaming your own routes was importnat to me. After using my Garmin Nuvi 255 on my motorcycle I got frustrated not being able to program my own route. My Zumo 220 now gives me that feature. It works great. It is bright, not too big and I can work it with gloves.

The Garming support is great. They answer the phone right away, they speak midwestern and they talk slow enough you can follow them. They also stick with you until you get your GPS doing what you want.

The Zumo 220 may not have all the bells and whisles, but it is nice unit.

I have a new NUVI with bluetooth... but it will not link with my SENA SMH... nor with my bluetooth phone either... Guess I didn't need to purchase a bluetooth Garmin after all

Back