• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS - Looking for an Opinion

dodge1chevy2

I'm thinking of purchasing a GPS that will be used primarily in the car, maybe 10% of the time on my cycle. A little research indicates that the Garmin 660 gets excellent reviews at least from the automotive polls. What are the negatives for using an auto type GPS on a cycle? I don't intent to expose the instrument to bad weather. Is there any reason why the Garmin couldn't be used on my K75?

Thanks
rickt

Besides weatherproofing an important feature is resistance to vibration - most purpose built motorcycle electronics have special assembly features/methods that resist vibration.
Another feature that is important is left handed use and ease of button operation with gloves on.
My .02 worth:D

BTW: I have a Zumo 550 c/w XM

Last edited:
Gps

I purchased a Garmin 2610 about 5 years ago for the bike and darn proud of it. It takes the stress out of traveling with cages around you and you go directly to where you want to go without any hassle. I think that the 2610 - 2820's are all really great units and they are but after seeing the new Garmin Zumo 550 ,which is designed for motorcycles, in action I am really impressed. You can actually navigate through the menu with your gloves on. Garmin also advertises that it is waterproof and vibration proof. All in all, I think that it is a very good GPS. If I were to buy another one tomorrow, I would buy the Garmin Zumo 550. Look around on the internet and the prices vary quite a bit. :D

Been There, Done That

I too contemplated the myriad of GPS units on the market, before deciding to purchase the Garmin Nuvi 350.

While designed for in-car use, it is also portable due to it's ion battery, and has a 12v power source as well, which I could plug into my R1200RT.

I took it with me just last week for a 2,200+ mile ride to "The Dragon," as well as other roads in the Smoky Mountains range.

I kept it visible inside my map case atop my tank bag in good weather, and had a waterproof box along (available thru Pelican at camping stores) in case I needed to view it during rain.

Being on the tank bag provided plenty of 'vibration-proofing' and I had no problems whatsoever using it. Saved my butt a couple of times after a few wrong turns in the mountains.

It has spoken instructions and a headphone jack, so I could plug it into my helmet intercomm system (ChatterBox) and listen to instructions as I rode, at any speed.

Here's the icing on the cake: bought it, brand new with the latest City Navigator NT mapping, from Amazon.Com for $199.00 .

That included home charger, 12v charger, carrying case, mounting brackets (for car) and USB cable for computer link up. It also includes an MP3 player and Audio-Book library that you can download 'books' into for listening enjoyment while on the road. And of course, 6 million points of interest pre-programmed into it's memory.

I don't begrudge the Zumo systems (450 or 550), but am quite happy with the Nuvi 350. The 360 model, by the way, is BlueTooth compatible if that is also a priority.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I have a Garmin C330. $128 last, day after Thanksgiving sale. I mount it on the windshield with the suction cup mount. 8 day 3000 mile trip to Key west in February. Temp extreme of 30 degrees to 95 degrees. I had to insert a knife blade to break the suction when I returned. 400 miles of torrential rain with a zip lock bag over it and it remained bone dry. Voice commands loud enough to hear with earplugs.

Gloves no problem.

It's not a $1000 Zumo, but it got me to all my destinations. I like the GPS, but not for a $1000.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/garmin-gps/c330/

Ralph Sims

Last edited:
I strongly recommend a motorcycle specific gps. It will be water proof, vibration resistant, and have a more substantial mount.

I bought a Nuvi 200 and found the mount to be very flimsy. It never fell off but I was always afraid it would if I hit a big bump. I now have a BMW Zumo and it has the three important features I mentioned above. Garmin is not the only one that makes motorcycle gps. Try "the gps store" and "tiger gps". google them.

Ron

I strongly recommend a motorcycle specific gps. It will be water proof, vibration resistant, and have a more substantial mount.

I bought a Nuvi 200 and found the mount to be very flimsy. It never fell off but I was always afraid it would if I hit a big bump. I now have a BMW Zumo and it has the three important features I mentioned above. Garmin is not the only one that makes motorcycle gps. Try "the gps store" and "tiger gps". google them.

Ron

Ron makes some good points, most of which I agree with. It's hard to beat a Zumo 450 (don't need the added features and cost of the 550) for weather-resistance and no worries about vibration.

For me, I need more time with GPS before deciding to commit to anything that expensive (not $1,000 - shop around - currently $518 at Amazon.Com for the 450).

Also, I like the option of 'handing off' the GPS to my passenger, and let her maneuver thru it's menu and give me advice, while I keep my eyes on the road - a nice, safe method.

I have researched Magellen and TomTom, and in my opinion, Garmin walks away with top honors. Given their longevity in this field, as well as their avionics in modern aircraft (including the Shuttle), they are top dog in the GPS world for now.

If I become as reliant on GPS as I think I will, a Zumo is probably in my future. But for now, the Nuvi 350 is a sweet deal, and gets the job done quite nicely.

Ride Safe and Far!

Last edited:
Ron makes some good points, most of which I agree with. It's hard to beat a Zumo 450 (don't need the added features and cost of the 550) for weather-resistance and no worries about vibration.
The Garmin zumo 450 does not come with an automobile mount. It costs extra. I'm not sure that the Garmin nuvi models are weather proof.

Zumo 550

I got a 550 From PCNation over the internet for $638.00. It comes with the car window attachment that has a speaker and plugs into your power outlet or cig. lighter. A charger and an assortment of Ram- mount hardware for handlebar mounting. Cycle Gadgets makes a variety of assemblies for mounting to many different models of BMW along with other brands too. My kit comprised of a longer handlebar hex bolt and a spacer and a compact 1" Ram-mount that holds the GPS in the center. I can see all my dash lights and guages. I think the bolt and spacer was $11 dollars and the Ram-mount was about $22 dollars. It looks and works real good so far. :heart The 450 is around $100.00 less.

In regards to my Vista Hcx, it is waterproof, accepts Micro SD cards where I have all of North America loaded, use the Ram-Mount which is tough as nails and cushions the GPS from vibration.

The Vista takes 2 AA batteries, I travel with extra charged NiMH batteries but in a pinch I can buy AA's anywhere cheap.

Good battery life and I can use it off the bike.

Very sensitive GPS receiver, it's upgraded from previous models.

No negatives, all positives..

Dale

Stay away from Magellan IMHO

I made the mistake of trying to save some money and bought a Magellan 6000T to use on my GS. The Ram mount is great and vibration free but the GPS unit is very slow to acquire satellites and freezes up constantly. The next time Costco brings in some Zumo's I'm there.........

I've been using a Garmin 2730 (discontinued model) for the last year and a half. My requirements were the same....70-30%, car/cycle use.

It's been perfect for me. It's waterproof, came with XM radio, and works equally well in car or on bike. The Zumo was a consideration but the cost advantage was clearly with the 2730.

I use a RAM mount for the bike and the bean bag mount for the car. Routing interface with the computer has been a snap. Check out the 2730 before making a decision.

Good luck!

I'm thinking of purchasing a GPS that will be used primarily in the car, maybe 10% of the time on my cycle. A little research indicates that the Garmin 660 gets excellent reviews at least from the automotive polls. What are the negatives for using an auto type GPS on a cycle? I don't intent to expose the instrument to bad weather. Is there any reason why the Garmin couldn't be used on my K75?

Thanks
rickt

I am happy with my Zumo 550 which has everything needed for car and bike use. It's operation is relatively simple and intuitive. Got it from:

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=989

The price was competitive. It was delivered promptly and they even threw in a t-shirt. <g> I never heard of the company before I started shopping for the unit and have no interest in it.

zumo zumo zumo

I'm a die hard Zumo lover. Great tool, easy to use, versatile.

I too use mine mostly in the car, about 20% on my bike. The major benefit is the water/shock proof ability of the unit for motorcycle use.

Highly reccommend

I too contemplated the myriad of GPS units on the market, before deciding to purchase the Garmin Nuvi 350.

While designed for in-car use, it is also portable due to it's ion battery, and has a 12v power source as well, which I could plug into my R1200RT.

I took it with me just last week for a 2,200+ mile ride to "The Dragon," as well as other roads in the Smoky Mountains range.

I kept it visible inside my map case atop my tank bag in good weather, and had a waterproof box along (available thru Pelican at camping stores) in case I needed to view it during rain.

Being on the tank bag provided plenty of 'vibration-proofing' and I had no problems whatsoever using it. Saved my butt a couple of times after a few wrong turns in the mountains.

It has spoken instructions and a headphone jack, so I could plug it into my helmet intercomm system (ChatterBox) and listen to instructions as I rode, at any speed.

Here's the icing on the cake: bought it, brand new with the latest City Navigator NT mapping, from Amazon.Com for $243.00 .

That included home charger, 12v charger, carrying case, mounting brackets (for car) and USB cable for computer link up. It also includes an MP3 player and Audio-Book library that you can download 'books' into for listening enjoyment while on the road. And of course, 6 million points of interest pre-programmed into it's memory.

I don't begrudge the Zumo systems (450 or 550), but am quite happy with the Nuvi 350. The 360 model, by the way, is BlueTooth compatible if that is also a priority.

Good Luck!

Greenwald, I am considering the same thing. I currently use a 350 for my car. I purchased this mount for my bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Moun...ryZ73353QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My question is, how exactly are you hooking this gps up to your bike. I know it is 12 volts, my R75/5 is 12 volts, am I able to do the same?

I got a 550 From PCNation over the internet for $638.00. It comes with the car window attachment that has a speaker and plugs into your power outlet or cig. lighter. A charger and an assortment of Ram- mount hardware for handlebar mounting. Cycle Gadgets makes a variety of assemblies for mounting to many different models of BMW along with other brands too. My kit comprised of a longer handlebar hex bolt and a spacer and a compact 1" Ram-mount that holds the GPS in the center. I can see all my dash lights and guages. I think the bolt and spacer was $11 dollars and the Ram-mount was about $22 dollars. It looks and works real good so far. :heart The 450 is around $100.00 less.

I second PCNation - great price and fast shipment. The extras that come with the 550 are well worth it. The 550 can be had for little more than the 450 if you shop around - I see very few discounts for the 450.

I splurged for the XM radio attachment before heading off to the National this year. The music is great to have, but I wanted the weather and traffic info even more. Warned us of approaching thunderstorms several times and gave us time to put on our gear. Also found and rerouted us around a bad accident that tied up traffic before we went to far.

I mounted mine on a BMR shelf, which left room for the radar detector and the antenna and gives me a line of sight view. I rarely look at the bikes speedometer when the GPS is on the bike.

I used to think that GPS was just another over priced farkle to adorne the handle bar. I wasnt ready to fork over the big bucks to see if was worth it. I happened on a used 2610 with all the mounts and cables and a SD card with all the maps pre loaded. It took less than 3 days to find out that I had to have this gadget! The intent was to mount it on my LT but I used it in my truck (I drive a 18 wheeler) and it pretty much stayed there. I bought a new Zumo 550 with all the goodies for 800$ and mounted it on the LT. For a while I used both in the truck at the same time and at times they would have different solutions. I supposed due to the different soft ware. There are times when the 2610 is superior to the Zumo but over all the 550 rocks. Easy to used gloved up, weather proof, vibration proof and easier to see in bright sun light than the 2610.

Back