Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A K75 mistake I hope to never make?

Rally Rat
    What a great thread. I have been able to validate many of my positive and negative opinions about my K75C. For my personal taste, needs and budget, my K75 has exceeded expectations. What a tremendous bike. I am still anoyed by a 20 year old bike that needs spline lube and other labor intense maintanance, but to me, the bike is worth it. I do long for one day owning any of the GS (F or R) models or an R1200R or K1200R.
    The K75 may well end up with my son, who at this time is 11 years old. He already got my old kayak, but he will never get my 1975 R90/6!
    Highest regards to all!

Gil

K75 Rules!!!

I bought this S in 86, one of the first imported. Cross country,
    commuting, sport, it does it all. If you only have one street bike,
    this is the one to keep. (lost S fairing in collision with large
    antlered animal)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    I had a K75RT. I kept it for only 14 years and traded it in on my current 1150RT. The R has more power and room which is what I needed.

Do I miss the K? Yup, but I also miss my previous airheads as well. Do I regret not keeping the K? Not too much, as I can only have one bike and the 1150 is more capable. I don't have the same rapport with it as I did with the K but time will provide that. At least as long as I don't get hit by prohibitively expensive issues like abs failures, transmission shaft misalignment or a final drive meltdown.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

jimmyenglish

The K75 Rules!

I'm currently on my way back from what will be another 2500+ mile trip this year on my k75. Solid 46-49mpg@75-80mph. Mine is somewhat ratty and has some issues but to me it is the ultimate utilitarian motorcycle. It excels at nothing but does everything well. Especially staying running! After a 10 year hiatus from my exclusive riding days, gas prices prompted me to reexamine motorcycling. I wanted a bike I could ride a lot and not have to dick with too much. True, there are issues with this bike that seem really jive (clutch spline lube, WTF!), but I've had 24k+ smooth miles in the last 2.5 years and at the present 63k feels like it'll easily outlive me. Me and my girlfriend (210lbs and 150lbs) typically load it to the hilt and it hauls us around just fine. Did I mention I paid $1600? I will take it to the grave! My favorite bike so far!

See you in Gillette!Can't wait!

mrich12000
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    I just picked up my second K75, a K75RT. It even has four blank switch on the fairing for additional farkle. There are two accessory outlets, new tires and a silky smooth ride. The electric windshield is nice.

Bought it this winter with the help of StatDawg.

These bikes will soon be classics.

Like Paul said

photo taken at the Niagra Falls Cable car parking lot..

Cool 1994 K75.... finally

After switching to BMW in 1976 (following Matchless/Norton/AJS/Triumph/BSA/H-D) I finally laid hands on a low mileage 1994 K75 (third owner). I've had a '76 R90/6 (never should have sold), and currently have an '81 R100 and an '03 K1200RS. I've always been interested in the three cylinder K bike as in my experience there is something inherently well balanced with 750cc bikes regardless of the number of cylinders (although I must admit I've never ridden a 750cc single). The K75 was a little congested from lack of use but a tank of fresh gas, new lube fluids, and a couple hundred "vigorous" miles have it purring again.

I've had a lot of motorbikes over the years, a lot of them bmw's, just airheads though. I always wanted to try a k75, so when this one owner 3100 mile one came up locally i snapped it up. It's very nice, starts, goes, brakes very nicely, but I just don't feel much connection with it, but there's nothing wrong with it and I could never get another bike to replace it for the money. So i keep it for a while longer, but am always looking for an r80 of some sort. Everytime i punch the starter on the K75, i think this bike just works and I know i would regret selling it so I figure it's cheap to keep. I've had sellers regret over other bikes before. Here's a pic.
    K75_005.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chunk View Post
    I've had a lot of motorbikes over the years, a lot of them bmw's, just airheads though. I always wanted to try a k75, so when this one owner 3100 mile one came up locally i snapped it up. It's very nice, starts, goes, brakes very nicely, but I just don't feel much connection with it, but there's nothing wrong with it and I could never get another bike to replace it for the money. So i keep it for a while longer, but am always looking for an r80 of some sort. Everytime i punch the starter on the K75, i think this bike just works and I know i would regret selling it so I figure it's cheap to keep. I've had sellers regret over other bikes before. Here's a pic.
    K75_005.jpg

Give it at least ten years before you rush into a decision. Thanks for posting the pic. I've been thinking about removing the windshield from my K75 (my first 150K+ BMW miles were on a non-windshield airhead) but wasn't sure if I'd like the look.... yours looks great!