• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A K75 mistake I hope to never make?

Gil

I own a K75. I purchased the bike from a GREAT friend who had the bike for 18 years and did regular maintenance. He had it somewhat neglected from use for the last 2 years. When he mentioned he was going to sell it. I jumped on it. I had a repair shop fix the fuel pump. I fixed the ignition switch and some small oil leaks. I have performed light maintenance on the bike.
What I hear from my friend is REGRET. He really misses his old bike. He reminds me often and has jokingly wondered if I would sell it back to him. I love the bike. I do! But I am a bit surprised on how much regret most, if not all K75 bike owners have once they sell the bike. I could almost, with confidence say that all K75 owners who sell the bike have a level of regret. Some more than others. I purchased the bike after much reading on the joy, reliability and uniqueness of this bike. I don't have plans to ever sell it. Considering it's an older model, which requires slightly more maintenance than the average modern bike, it sure is a spell caster.

Yup, I've heard that, too, which is why I'll never sell mine. Sometimes it sits while I ride the other two bikes. I ride it mostly when the weather is cool--it's my cold weather bike, for the most part. But when I do ride it, I always smile. It's a great bike, and it was my first bike, too, which makes it special.

109321151_z72zR-M.jpg

I bought a K75 in 1986. Rode it for 18 years, 370K miles. I bought a few bikes intending to replace it. Every time, I sold them and kept it! Then it got run over on the Interstate.

At the time I had a perfectly fine low mileage R1150R so didn't "replace" the K75. Until I found a nice '95 low seat Standard and bought it; and then found a low mileage '95 K75RT-P and bought it too.

Mankind was not meant to live without a K75 (or two)!

p.s. None of mine were ever as clean as Marilyn's in the pic above. Not even on the way home from buying them.

When I started to look for my first motorcycle, I was searching for a K75. I didn't like the "S", though. I had more than one owner suddenly decide not to sell after I contacted them. There was one very close to me and you could tell he loved the bike based on the photos he sent; lots of photos, all sorts of "fancy" camera angles, etc.

They're nice bikes, but I still love my Airheads. :)

I always had an eye for the K75 as well (even after I bought my '94 RS). Something about that longitudinal motor is really cool as Mar's great pic clearly shows. I was kinda bummed out when they discontinued the K75, and then later (adding insult to injury) went to that transverse motor :cry

I wish I had a nickel for every person that said "I never shoulda sold that bike."
I would be rich. Also, I kept all mine, so no regrets.

My first BMW was a '92 K75S.
20061230-001.jpg

It was a fun bike. It was easy to work on, and work on it I did. I did a partial restoration on a bike that had sat virtually unused for two years, outside, uncovered, under a fir tree dropping needles, in close proximity to salt water.

Bought it for $2000 for it and sold it for $4500. I probably spent $3000 on parts and service for the things I couldn't/wouldn't fix myself.

Man was that motor smooth. But the brakes were only so-so. The ergonomics weren't great for me. The stock windscreen is a joke, and the after-market Aeroflow screen was an imperfect Band-Aid. None of these are fatal flaws - except when the bike is a daily year-round commuter in Seattle.

So why did I sell it? I wanted a bike people would see. I grew tired of motorists not seeing me minding my own business in my lane. This isn't the fault of the bike. It's the fault of the ignorant motorists changing lanes and then checking to see if the lane is clear.

But I needed something more visible than a K75. I needed my fellow motorists to take me seriously. Thus the all-white R1150RT-P. Now I'm given a wide-berth on the road. I have a huge windscreen and fairing to protect me from the elements. I have ABS brakes giving me better stopping/avoidance abilities on wet roads.

I'll likely never own a K75 again, but I'd recommend them to a rider interested in owning a "starter" BMW. Were I to ever obtain a second bike, I'd get a classic old Airhead with a sidecar - if you're going to have two bikes, might as well make 'em as different as possible! If I don't get a hack, I could see a second bike being an older GSPD or GS - something for forest roads and that can carry a passenger.

But again, none of this is the fault of the K75 - a wonderful and reliable bike that will run forever and look good doing it.

Where in the lane do you typically position yourself?
I put 80k miles on a K75s and never had significant problems with people not seeing me even when riding through the worst rush hour of Atlanta, exploring San Francisco, etc. Of course back then I had a helmet the color and brightness of a supernova. :D

I'll likely never own a K75 again, but I'd recommend them to a rider interested in owning a "starter" BMW.

I wonder when I'll get to graduate from a starter bike. At only 650,000 miles I still like my starter bikes. For that matter, Voni at 850,000 miles still likes her little starter K75s too.

I solved the "see me" or more precisely the "notice me" issue with a K75. A black and white K75RT-P.

The little round reflectors arranged across the back - blue, yellow, white, yellow, red - help some too :) :)

I love this K75. It now has more than 200K on it. This picture was when my daughter was 8 years old. Now she is 26, and I am about to let her use this same bike for her main ride for the summer.

Yep - I love this bike.

Attachments

• momandmeonbike3.jpg
    momandmeonbike3.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 772
I've only got 55k on mine...too soon to trade up from my "starter"?
I agree with you, Reid. My first BMW and I'm just pushing 49k. I'm already thinking about 'the next bike' but would be hard pressed to part with this one, as there's so much more I want to see and do with it.

I agree with you, Reid. My first BMW and I'm just pushing 49k. I'm already thinking about 'the next bike' but would be hard pressed to part with this one, as there's so much more I want to see and do with it.

Ve vill tempt you, mein friend. Und ven temtation duzn't vurk, ve hav uzzer means.

At first, after replacing my beautiful K75S with a K1200R Sport, I felt some regret. The K12 seemed so big and awkward looking and uncivilized by comparison. Within a week, however, I had "tamed" the Sport and discovered not only the absolute thrill of its awesome power, but also its rock-solid stability and comfort at high speed. The simple addition of a belly pan fixed its "unfinished" looks, in my eyes.

No, the K1200R Sport isn't as downright pretty nor as silky smooth as the K75S, but it is loads more confidence inspiring, safer feeling and just plain flat-out fun! I am now very glad I made the decision I did.

Craig
waiting for a (partially) sunny Saturday in Merry-Land

To answer your question,,, yes........ Sell it back to him,, unless his friendship isn't a priority...............Pete

Back