• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hesitation at high RPMs

B

BRACKRAT

So my trusty 1980 R100T is running like a champ until 5th gear around 4400 rpms. At that point no matter the throttle, she seems to really stutter and decrease slowly in speed. My dad suggested the condenser might be going bad, so I threw in a new one along with new points while I was at it. No such luck. Any ideas?

Are you getting enough flow through the petcocks? Minimum flow should be over 300cc per minute or 5 to 6cc per second.

Are the floats set too lean? Should be about 22-24mm of gas in the float bowl when the float shuts off flow.

Is the gas cap vent blocked such that you are creating a vacuum in the tank? Next time it happens, reach down and crack the gas cap. Wait a few seconds and see if the problem disappears.

Agree with 20774 or could be a diaghram.....pardon spelling.................is this just a sudden occurence???????...............what other work have you done just before this started????

Anyway to reach down when this is happening and give a slight pull on the throttle cable to tell you which side is the offendor????

Good Luck.........Dennis

Agree with 20774 or could be a diaghram.....pardon spelling.................is this just a sudden occurence???????...............what other work have you done just before this started????

Anyway to reach down when this is happening and give a slight pull on the throttle cable to tell you which side is the offendor????

Good Luck.........Dennis

I managed to get off work a few hours early last wednesday and went for a two hour ride. She ran great until the final stretch home when the problem presented itself.

Recent work has included a clutch plate replacement, and some regular maintenance.

I will try finding the troubled float the next time I ride, as well as the gas cap trick and report back.

Thanks

I had this symptom on a '78 R100 - didn't want to pull 5th at 5000 rpm but would rev OK above that when not under load. Bike was not "getting enough gas" although the fuel lines and carbs checked out OK.

But in looking at it, it dawned on me that the carb-to-head rubber hoses were likely the originals and if so were probably a bit porous and leaking air under suction at load. Got new hoses and in removing the old ones found they were hard and brittle, especially on the head end. This single change solved the reving problem at speed and also resulted in more consistent idling and smoother off-idle performance.

PT9766

Another good idea. The symptoms seem the same, and I'm sure the hoses haven't been replaced. This would explain the problem only presenting itself at such a high speed, as well as some erratic idling i.e. high idle (1800-2000) when hot.
When you experienced the problem on your 78, did you have any acceleration problems? The reason I ask is I don't have any problem. She'll really take off if she needs to.
Thanks!

Another good idea. The symptoms seem the same, and I'm sure the hoses haven't been replaced. This would explain the problem only presenting itself at such a high speed, as well as some erratic idling i.e. high idle (1800-2000) when hot.

Spray some carb cleaner all around the tube when the bike is idling. If there are cracks/gaps, the cleaner will get sucked into the intake and change the idle speed. That will let you know the tubes are definitely cracked. Or just replace them because...

Recent clutch work: clutch cable out of adjustment - slipping at speed?

I managed to get off work a few hours early last wednesday and went for a two hour ride. She ran great until the final stretch home when the problem presented itself.

Recent work has included a clutch plate replacement, and some regular maintenance.

I will try finding the troubled float the next time I ride, as well as the gas cap trick and report back.

Thanks

You really should inspect carb diaphragms.

Diaphragm failure is very common and replacement every two years is recommended.

Back